+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: More Pre-Season Friendlies Announced

Presumeably the "only" way for non-attenders to follow this match is through the E & S stream?

Tell you what, if after getting promotion to the Prem, all I had to look forward to was TS' drivel and pathetic humour, I'd slit my wrists. Thank God we've got the likes etc. of Sky.

I watched the Stoke game last night with three Stoke supporters from just behind the dugout. It was a good work out for both sides and at times the pace and commitment was far above the usual pre season friendly. We played almost two different sides in each half, with only Hause playing the full 90 minutes.

Stoke, with many of last seasons Premiership players did their best to close Wolves down but Nevis often put their defence in trouble with long through balls to Jimenez who was working hard and causing the Stoke back line some problems. It could have been 1-0 to Wolves before half time when a scramble in the Potters penalty area saw a goal bound shot cleared of the line.

After the first half, several substitutions from Wolves were made, while the subbed players went on to the far side of the stadium and did some extra training with the fitness coach. Patricio, who had replaced Ruddy made two stunning saves to keep out goal bound efforts, before Wolves made another raft of substitutions. No announcements were made so it was difficult to know who was actually playing. I recognised one or two of the youngsters from watching the under 23 games, and Benny Ashly-Seal made a powerful forward burst and hammered a shot which rebounded back into play of the post. Ryan Giles also had a cross shot saved by the impressive Federici in the Stoke goal. It was almost the youth team that played the last twenty or so minutes.

At full time the finishing 11 stayed on the pitch and underwent another training session under the supervision of the fitness coach. One notable absentee on the night was Wily Boly. At times it was difficult to recognise Costa with his new physique and shorter hair. Looks almost like Caveleiro. Still early, but the signs look good and we seem to be moving in the right direction.

Thanks Abbo, appreciate the substantial report.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfiebill View Post
    Thanks Abbo, appreciate the substantial report.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    I watched the Stoke game last night with three Stoke supporters from just behind the dugout. It was a good work out for both sides and at times the pace and commitment was far above the usual pre season friendly. We played almost two different sides in each half, with only Hause playing the full 90 minutes.

Stoke, with many of last seasons Premiership players did their best to close Wolves down but Nevis often put their defence in trouble with long through balls to Jimenez who was working hard and causing the Stoke back line some problems. It could have been 1-0 to Wolves before half time when a scramble in the Potters penalty area saw a goal bound shot cleared of the line.

After the first half, several substitutions from Wolves were made, while the subbed players went on to the far side of the stadium and did some extra training with the fitness coach. Patricio, who had replaced Ruddy made two stunning saves to keep out goal bound efforts, before Wolves made another raft of substitutions. No announcements were made so it was difficult to know who was actually playing. I recognised one or two of the youngsters from watching the under 23 games, and Benny Ashly-Seal made a powerful forward burst and hammered a shot which rebounded back into play of the post. Ryan Giles also had a cross shot saved by the impressive Federici in the Stoke goal. It was almost the youth team that played the last twenty or so minutes.

At full time the finishing 11 stayed on the pitch and underwent another training session under the supervision of the fitness coach. One notable absentee on the night was Wily Boly. At times it was difficult to recognise Costa with his new physique and shorter hair. Looks almost like Caveleiro. Still early, but the signs look good and we seem to be moving in the right direction.
    Abbo the changes wasn't announced, but on the big screen it was shown. I actually think Stoke could be challenging for promotion this coming season, i'm not basing it on last night, just on the experienced players they have brought in to go alongside the likes of Joe Allen, Darren Fletcher and Ryan Shawcross.

I take friendlies for what they are, a game where the squad gain match fitness. The early threat for the home side came from McClean, he has pace, but his final ball always let him down. I thought Doherty managed him well. Joe Allen still looks a decent player to me.

From a Wolves perspective, Ryan Giles again looks the part and as you have already mentioned Ashley Seal. He has pace and can handle himself. One worry really was the early withdrawal of Jota. Even when he was trying to warm down he didn't look that comfortable, but later when he got changed, he seemed to be moving ok.

Both sides did indeed have decent chances, it's a pity Giles or Ashley-Seals efforts didn't go in, and not forgetting Danny Batth's header. What i find amusing about friendlies is, it doesn't matter if it's the coach journey home, or fans around me, a small minority often moan.

The Stoke supporters I was with think that Fletchers legs have gone, I have to agree. Ince could not get the better of Giles, and moved infield to get away from him. If McClean is going to put crosses into the box, they need to play Crouch. Personally I think Stoke will get a wake up call in the Championship, having said that, some teams will not relish Stoke on a cold Tuesday evening in January.

I thought Hause handled the lanky Crouch very well, especially from corners. I am though, a little concerned as to where our goals are going to come from. Perhaps when the first eleven are together on the turf for ninety minutes, the openings will come.

Gav, the scoreboard was behind us but when I looked in the second half Jota was still on the board, so something wasn't working right.

Quote Originally Posted by abbobrom View Post
    The Stoke supporters I was with think that Fletchers legs have gone, I have to agree. Ince could not get the better of Giles, and moved infield to get away from him. If McClean is going to put crosses into the box, they need to play Crouch. Personally I think Stoke will get a wake up call in the Championship, having said that, some teams will not relish Stoke on a cold Tuesday evening in January.

I thought Hause handled the lanky Crouch very well, especially from corners. I am though, a little concerned as to where our goals are going to come from. Perhaps when the first eleven are together on the turf for ninety minutes, the openings will come.

Gav, the scoreboard was behind us but when I looked in the second half Jota was still on the board, so something wasn't working right.
    I just think Fletcher could still do a job alongside Joe Allen, don't get me wrong, experience doesn't always gain promotion, ie in Villa's case. Stoke have spent quite a bit of money and will try for an instant return.

You are actually voicing concerns regarding where our goals are going to come from like a few who were on our coach last night. I just tried to say that i'm optimistic and hopeful of Nuno maybe be bringing in another forward player. I'm not that overly concerned, as long as the players create chances it doesn't matter to me whoo puts the ball in the net.

The scoreboard i looked at, and there was two, one to our right, and also one in the far left hand corner at the other end. I glanced at it midway through the second half and it had changed from the starting eleven. I'm not doubting what you say though.

It's our last away friendly today at Derby, there's nothing riding on it, but it's just a day out for me to take in a game.

I have just spent about 20 minutes doing my report on the game only to see it disappear into the either yet again.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)