+ Visit Wolverhampton Wanderers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: More Pre-Season Friendlies Announced

I could see the difference yesterday in the two sides and their preparations. Derby's season starts on Friday and probably put out what will more or less be their starting eleven against Reading. For Wolves, it wasn't 100% or full pelt. I think it will take time for the likes of Castro and Moutinho to gel with the rest of the players. But i could see even from their 45 minutes on the pitch that they both have something about them. I trust the judgement of Nuno and his staff.

I do feel that Wolves have to be stronger defensively because for both goal Wolves were left wanting. For the first goal, it's reaction time of defenders and the second one Mount was given too much space. Wolves in my eyes struggled at the back against Nugent, Lawrence and also Chelsea loanee Mount.

The tempo of Wolves' play wasn't a fast one by any means, but come next Saturday i think we will see an improvement against Villareal. Wolves did create a few openings, Doherty and Costa both going close and for the Wolves goal Neves deserved one just for his effort that had Carson struggling, Jota will be happy to have scored from the follow up.

As with other pre-season friendlies, it's all about fitness and getting the side to gel.

Again I watched the game from the opposition seats with two Derby supporters. They were adamant that this is a better Derby side than last year. I certainly thought that they gave us a tougher game than Stoke, but as Gav, says it is all about gaining fitness at this stage. This match was closer to the real thing interns of commitment and tempo. Derby came out of the blocks on fire and pressed us really hard in the early stages, before we managed to get a foot in the game.

With Romain Saiss playing in the back three today Nuno will have a decision to make regarding the defensive line up come the opening match. It will take time for the two new lads to bed in but both showed that they will not be out of place in the Premiership. However, Jonny may come under pressure from young Giles who again impressed in his short time on the pitch. As I have posted on another thread, if Jonny is 5ft 9in tall I will eat my hat!

The fitness of Jota looks is a concern at the moment as he seemed to limp of again after several heavy challenges. Neves seems to have continued in the rich vein of form that he showed last season. It is hard to believe that he is not twenty two years old yet. Patricio was unlucky to concede after a spectacular one handed save, with the ball landing at the feet of the experienced Nugent.

I will miss the first five games of the season because of Athletic commitments and holidays, but I hope the lads can kick on a gain some victories. Some of the top teams will be missing many of their World Cup players so early game victories could be ***** to success.
    Last edited by abbobrom; 29-07-2018 at 10:10 AM.

It's our last pre-season game today against Villareal, i'm expecting to see a starting eleven that should be close to the one that starts against Everton next week.

Quote Originally Posted by wolves71 View Post
    It's our last pre-season game today against Villareal, i'm expecting to see a starting eleven that should be close to the one that starts against Everton next week.
    highlights from the above...2-1 to us
    wolves defence split open a few times in the first half..plus a rare penalty miss from neves.
    ah'v lost track of all these new signings..but highlights show a better performance in the 2nd half

Quote Originally Posted by Greavseywolf View Post
    highlights from the above...2-1 to us
    wolves defence split open a few times in the first half..plus a rare penalty miss from neves.
    ah'v lost track of all these new signings..but highlights show a better performance in the 2nd half
    An enjoyable game in my eyes Greavsey, there was more intensity in our play than in the three previous friendlies i have been to. You are correct with the way our defence was opened up in the first half. Wolves could have been not one, but three goals down even before Neves squandered his chance from the penalty spot. Going on today's performance alone and especially the first half, Wolves have bagged themselves a top keeper in Rui Patricio. Before Villareal scored, he stood big to deny their first real chance and then at 1-0 he tipped a decent chance away.

Wolves bar the penalty miss from Neves only really had a couple of half chances. Neves' passing wasn't up to his usual standard, but the second half, he and his team-mates stepped up a gear. The introduction of Ryan Bennett for Saiss was a big plus. I can't remember Patricio making another save of note. Wolves play was a big improvement. Costa has benefited from time in the gym having bulked up, the same goes for Gibbs-White. Slowly but surely the likes of Castro and Moutinho will have big impacts on this Wolves side. It will take time for it to gel, but i'm hopeful.

No keeper in the world is saving Boly's header and it was good to see Jiminez get a goal. His all round play deserves a mention. He holds the ball up well, offers a good link up and will prove to be a goal threat. A good ending to pre-season.

Longer highlights, but missing is our second goal.

Thanks for the highlights. Looked like a really good game for a friendly. I didn't think we looked too bad in the first half, we pulled them apart just as many times, if not more, than they did us.

Not sure I like our "yellow" strip though, hopefully it will grow on me.

COMB!! It won't be long now.

Quote Originally Posted by WOODLANDSWOLF View Post
    Thanks for the highlights. Looked like a really good game for a friendly. I didn't think we looked too bad in the first half, we pulled them apart just as many times, if not more, than they did us.

Not sure I like our "yellow" strip though, hopefully it will grow on me.

COMB!! It won't be long now.
    Regarding the strip Woody, old gold it aint, but I do like it and I think it is in sync with the image the owners seem to wish to promote. Dare I say, bright and outstanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Woking88 View Post
    Regarding the strip Woody, old gold it aint, but I do like it and I think it is in sync with the image the owners seem to wish to promote. Dare I say, bright and outstanding?
    I know a lot of people liked it and said it really good "live" as it where. I guess it will grow on me, especially if we are winning games!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)