+ Visit Doncaster Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: What do recon boys

What do recon boys

After a quiet preseason we are hit with this bombshell

Just seen the news, with this quote from Ferguson : "No alternative but to resign". Not a good omen for the coming season...

Unfortunately, the writing has been on the wall for some time now. It has been clear that Ferguson was unhappy with the way that budget negotiations were progressing. Various comments, such has he would have expected to have an agreed budget earlier, then changing from two players per position to "quality not quantity" were indicators that there were disagreements regarding finances.
    Sustainability is an admirable quality if other clubs are adopting the same approach. But with some clubs having bigger and better budgets each year, we will be unable to compete on equal terms. Ex-Academy players may well have a good future, but we cannot expect them to take us into the Championship.
    Although Ferguson has thanked the board for the opportunity to manage the club, it is very noticeable that the Club has not thanked him for his services, nor wished him success in the future. I would have expected more courtesy from the Board.

Much as I have always been concerned that Ferguson tried to use players out of their natural positions, changed formations too frequently, and failed to reverse declining trends, I had not reached the stage of wanting to see him go. I for one, wish him the best and expect him to soon be signed up by a better club.

I suspect his reason for leaving was in some way budget related as Waldron says, and whoever we get next will have the same financial issues that Ferguson would have had. Without a good budget the best we will achieve next season will be another season keeping just above the relegation zone (let's be honest, we spent more time looking down rather than up last season). That’s the best this current team could achieve last season. The clock is now ticking down to get a new manager and better players.

Ferguson has been living on his family name to be honest. No great loss

I'll not disagree with that, Danny, although to be honest when Ferguson arrived I was quite excited. With hindsight with relegation, promotion, and then a 15th position I can't say we progressed very well and see it as a successful period in Rovers' history. I just wish we had signed McCall or a stronger manager, because after Dickov and Ferguson I can't help but feel the board keeps getting it wrong. Right now I am not at all excited and can only hope McCann proves me wrong.

The only manager in the the last 20 Years that I was happy about was Dave Penny but SOD proved me wrong . So iwill give mcann a chance to prove me wrong

I agree, Lifelong. Dave Penney and Sean O'Driscoll were both good managers and we can only hope Grant McCann is as good.