Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: English non - league teams . . .

  1. #1

    English non - league teams . . .

    Boreham Wood and Sutton United from the Vanarama National are to be invited by the SPFL to
    enter the Irn - Bru Cup.

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    Boreham Wood and Sutton United from the Vanarama National are to be invited by the SPFL to
    enter the Irn - Bru Cup.


    Could they of go two further away teams
    Last edited by aloreburn; 05-06-2018 at 09:03 AM.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by aloreburn View Post
    Could they of go two further away teams
    Exactly what I was thinking mate. Also can we now call the Irn - Bru Cup an all - British competition ?

  4. #4
    Macclesfield Town won the Vanarama National league and Tranmere Rovers won the play offs so both promoted to football league 2 so SPFL are inviting the next 2 teams in that league (Sutton United - 3rd & Boreham Wood - 4th)

  5. #5
    Is it not enough of a circus with Irish and Welsh teams without adding more. The SPFL should be spending more of there efforts in getting us some more TV money or other incomes.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by DouglasQOS View Post
    Is it not enough of a circus with Irish and Welsh teams without adding more. The SPFL should be spending more of there efforts in getting us some more TV money or other incomes.




    i think it sounds great ,and the further the better ,be great days out those two ,id be more dissapointed if it was teams like carlisle or workington as iv seen and done them both ,i hope we get a draw away to sutton likes ,great day oot in london area .

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    7,366
    This competition is getting a bit far fetched (excuse the pun)...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bridgend, Wales
    Posts
    286
    I think it is a great idea as it will mean even more exposure for the club across the UK. Especially when conversations around our ever diminishing support crop up.

    Over the last two seasons I have noticed a significant difference when I am asked who I support in Wales. I used to say Queen of the South and I would be met with a look of bemusement. Now I only have to say Quee... and they know exactly who I mean. This is coming from a very rugby orientated area as well.

    It has been a great chance to see the Irish and Welsh teams and hopefully learn one or two things from each other.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    7,366
    There'll be clubs from Belgium, France and Holland in the Challenge Cup next.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bridgend, Wales
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    There'll be clubs from Belgium, France and Holland in the Challenge Cup next.
    Well there won't be will there.

    We could come up against some good players from some of the non league sides. Another benefit.

    We have to do something to energise scottish football.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    7,366
    Just seems to be getting out of hand.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Bridgend, Wales
    Posts
    286
    Quote Originally Posted by ALBERTZ_11 View Post
    Just seems to be getting out of hand.
    I think having had only two teams win the scottish premier league tin the last 30 years or so is a better use of the phrase 'getting out of hand'.

    We need to develop some sort if excitement outside of a cup run. Cross border ties, taking a trip around the country. What may end up happening is from these invitations to join challenge cup it may move to become a more UK style competition and we have a scottish only cup which includes the highland and lowland league.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Irvine, North Ayrshire
    Posts
    7,366
    Quote Originally Posted by CptQueens View Post
    I think having had only two teams win the scottish premier league tin the last 30 years or so is a better use of the phrase 'getting out of hand'.

    We need to develop some sort if excitement outside of a cup run. Cross border ties, taking a trip around the country. What may end up happening is from these invitations to join challenge cup it may move to become a more UK style competition and we have a scottish only cup which includes the highland and lowland league.
    The old Anglo Scottish Cup was successful back in the Seventies so you could be on to something.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    In a house
    Posts
    529
    Sorry,but "that there" London and its suburbs is too far away for a "day out"The disappointment at Gobowen was hard enough to take,without the possibility of the same thing happening another 100 miles or so further south.Hartlepool or Southport to be invited yeah,but cockneys etc.....nah!

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagapapa View Post
    Sorry,but "that there" London and its suburbs is too far away for a "day out"The disappointment at Gobowen was hard enough to take,without the possibility of the same thing happening another 100 miles or so further south.Hartlepool or Southport to be invited yeah,but cockneys etc.....nah!
    Here is the line - up of the British / Republic of Ireland entrants
    Sutton United
    Boreham Wood
    Bohemians
    Bray Wanderers
    Crusaders
    Coleraine
    New Saints
    Connah's Quay Nomads

    Played 3 / 4 teams in this lot previously

  16. #16
    The First Round Draw for the 2018/19 IRN-BRU Cup will take place on Tuesday 26th June.

  17. #17
    Sutton United have a great cup pedigree. Went out to Arsenal 2-0 in the last 16 of last years FA Cup iirc.
    Last edited by louisxiv; 08-06-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •