+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aston Villa Facing Winding Up Order

Not just HMRC looking for money from Villa.In 2016/17 club bought players for £88 mill but only paid cash of £58 mill. The balance is on credit to other clubs.

Wonder if we’re one of em ?

Biggest crisis in their history. Buying the dream.

I think that would be the case

Can't feel sorry for them to be honest, although Im sure they don't want or need anybodys sympathy.
    I wonder if Conor has any regrets about going there now, and not to a bigger (or a better) club.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Can't feel sorry for them to be honest, although Im sure they don't want or need anybodys sympathy.
    I wonder if Conor has any regrets about going there now, and not to a bigger (or a better) club.
    Probably not he's enhanced his reputation no end. I said it before he went to Villa that he would make it to the top and I don't think he would look out of place at a Tottenham or an Everton.

Villa will end up having their better player cherry picked now by bigger clubs and so the cycle continues.

He wanted (amongst other things) to enhance his Rep Ireland career as well didn't he, and I also think he could do well at an Everton, or Burnsley, or West Ham for example.

It'll be weird seeing Aston Villa floundering in the Championship and possibly league 1.

The staggering wages that have left Aston Villa staring into the financial abyss

Aston Villa's complacency about promotion has left them with a staggering wage bill as the club stares into a financial abyss.

Championship Villa are in the grip of a serious cash crisis after missing out on the Premier League in the play-off final.

Chinese owner Dr Tony Xia has suspended CEO Keith Wyness after a row over fresh external investment.

Villa have been given a week to settle a £4.2m unpaid tax bill by HMRC after missing a payment last Friday.

Yet even if Villa, who have been borrowing money this year and selling off future transfer revenue, find more short-term funds to pay, they still have huge liabilities.

Owner Tony Xia has spent heavily since taking over two years ago(Image: Birmingham Mail)
    Big-earning stars signed by Xia following his takeover in 2016 after relegation have no clauses in their contracts to reduce their wages if Villa failed to go up.

Mirror Sport understands Mile Jedinak still has one-year left on his £50,000-a-week deal after joining from Premier League Crystal Palace.

Midfielder Henri Lansbury is on £40,000-a-week and has three years left. Striker Ross McCormack earns £40,000-a-week and has two years left.

Henri Lansbury(Image: 2018 Aston Villa FC)
    McCormack was handed a huge contract(Image: Aston Villa FC via Getty Images)
    Ivory Coast international Jonathan Kodjia is on £35,000-a-week with two years left. James Chester is on £30,000-a-week and has two years left.

While even rookie full-back James Bree, 20, signed in January 2017 from Barnsley, is on £23,000-a-week, with three years left.

It is believed the club is now losing £6m a month due to a series of draining contracts despite cuts to a wage bill last recorded at £61m in 2016/2017.

Bruce's future is in question(Image: Getty Images Europe)
    It will increase the pressure on £300,000-a-year director of football Steve Round, appointed in September 2016 after previously being a coach at Newcastle, Everton and Manchester United.

Xia, who blames Financial Fair Play regulations for his cut-backs, has vowed to personally tackle the crisis.

However, Football League clubs meeting in Portugal at their annual meeting are in the mood to clamp down on clubs who flout FFP.

Grealish looks likely to be sold(Image: Clive Mason)
    There is no way back for suspended CEO Wyness with Xia feeling betrayed that he went looking for serious investment from USA without permission.

But selling the club could be the only way out for the self-styled Chinese tycoon – or face administration.

It opens the door for American sports investor Peter B Freund, a minority shareholder in baseball’s New York Yankees, who has been linked with £75m takeover.

But in the short-term Villa will need more cash and stars like Jack Grealish are likely to be sold with Leicester keen on the England U21 starlet.

Bree on £23k a week .... what chance do we stand in keeping players !!!

"Why did we sell Hourihane, Bree and Winnall in Jan 17 ?"

The answer lies above.

And yes, I would do the same if I was offered 23K a week guaranteed for years at his age. We can carry on blaming Cryne forever but maybe other factors such as wages came into play.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12