+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Jones Staying

Quote Originally Posted by Proudpie View Post
    IMHO we need a proper 4th striker
    Three inc an ageing John Stead isnt enough
    If Dennis or Hemmings get injured we are struggling.
    As I mentioned in another thread what about Mason Bennett on loan. If he is fit again then why not give him a second chance to show us what he can do?

Agree Mad and Jackal

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    It's like we've looked at positions where we have two players competing and got rid of the worst, the goalkeeper and both full backs now. On that basis, why is Hawkridge still here? Because he has a contract I suppose. Anyway, it looks like Kellett will play left midfield and Bola won't be coming (I know no-one at the club ever suggested he would).

Seems to me we just need a right winger and a CB now. In case of injury/suspension, Kellett can cover left back, Hewitt right back and Allessandra the second striker position.

Thinking about it, maybe Hewitt as covering right-back is a question mark. If Tootle got a really long-term injury we would miss Hewitt in midfield (unless Patching and Crawford are truly oven ready) and he was much less impressive at right-back in the past anyway.

Alessandra and the Hawk both play on the right and I reckon Kellet has been brought in as Grant's replacement. In my view we still need a pacey winger who can play on the left or two wingers if we can ship either Hawk or Alessandra out. I've seen Boldewijn and dembele mentioned?

We definitely need cover at RB. A decent youngster would do. And then Ben Hall/Sam Hughes at CB.

Bennett to come on loan.

That will do us! Still a few short in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Thinking about it, maybe Hewitt as covering right-back is a question mark. If Tootle got a really long-term injury we would miss Hewitt in midfield (unless Patching and Crawford are truly oven ready) and he was much less impressive at right-back in the past anyway.
    Keep Hewitt away from the back 4

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    First signing I'm not too bothered about. He has been okay this season but i reckon we could do better at LB.
    Clearly you are someone that did not watch half our matches last season......we looked dangerous every time Mr Jones went on a run down the wing, plus his free kicks....great news that he is back for next season

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    Clearly you are someone that did not watch half our matches last season......we looked dangerous every time Mr Jones went on a run down the wing, plus his free kicks....great news that he is back for next season
    I agree we looked dangerous when he went on a run down the wing but it is his defending that worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by tarquinbeech View Post
    See that's the thing Tarqers, for a lot of the season he was kept out if the side by Dickinson! Call me old fashioned, but I like my full backs to have defending as their key attribute.

See that's the thing Tarqers, for a lot of the season he was kept out if the side by Dickinson! Call me old fashioned, but I like my full backs to have defending as their key attribute.
    I don't think we'll be playing with traditional full backs. I reckon we're lining up for a 352 which means we need wing backs. Jones is perfect for this. On the right hand side, Tootle is fine and I reckon Hawkridge would be fine at wing back as well. He's quite a defensive winger anyway so it may suit him better to be an attacking wing back?

IMO, the game has moved on a tad from having 4 guys across the back whose sole job it is to defend....if you have players like Jones and Toots who love to go on a swashbuckling run down the wing, releasing the wingers to cut into the box then this adds another weapon to your arsenal.....if you are worried that it might leave us exposed at the back , then get Hewey to drop back to cover the counter attack.....our little cousins over the river had a great little player for years, who also played for England, that took off at the slightest chance....and it didn't seem to do them, or England, any harm!!

If you would rather have a turgid pub-player like Dicko instead of Jones then that is your right....but if I was AH-KN and wanted bums on seats and attacking wing-play, then Jones is your man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast