+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Clearing Away The Dead Wood ??

he would do, or fletcher

We need some pace with this counter press system for it to work effectively in my opinion .

My guess is you aren't going to see any two striker partnerships which isn't a problem to me if we are scoring enough goals to win games although I know one or two on here believe it's negative .

Pace is key in the offensive part of this system and it's something Herr Daniel will be looking for .

One player I can see going from strength to strength under Stendel is Isgrove. He plays that pressing style and gets in defenders faces.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    Absolutely overrun with attacking midfield players ....

Isgrove , Mallan , Hedges , Moncur , Mowatt , McGeehan , Thiam , Knassmullner .

However with the style of play we are expecting to see and the likelihood of squad rotation I'd suggest we may need the majority of these lads .

We are short of defensive minded midfield players and require at least another two strikers in .

Defensively we are ok , McCarthy , Fryers , Pearson , Pinilos and Cavare are sufficent in the full back areas .

Pinnock , Lindsay , Jackson and possibly Pearson at centre back , possibly need another in there I'd imagine .

Let Davies and Walton fight it out at goalkeeper would be my take on that but I'd want to see the confidence returned from Davies pre season or I maybe tempted to bring in some more competition and looking to move him on if necessary .

Two strikers are a must , the roles Moore and Bradshaw are going to be taking on demand some fresh legs when we are hitting 3 games a week time .

Thoughts guys .
    I agree with most of that list animal apart from the left back position, I don't think either Fryers or Pinilos is good enough defensively to be first choice and I think we need a creative midfielder who can pick out a killer pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    One player I can see going from strength to strength under Stendel is Isgrove. He plays that pressing style and gets in defenders faces.
    I do have a couple of concerns though steve and this isn't a criticism of the appointment by the way .

Firstly only half of this league will have it on the floor and want to play a bit of football , the other half will be more direct and get it forward quickly up to a big man and feed off the second and third balls .

In some games there won't be anyone to press and I'm hopeful this penny will drop fairly quickly because in these circumstances we will need a plan b , especially away from home .

Secondly the movement offensively is crucial when we press and recover the ball , it's alright running your nacker off only for Bradshaw to keep falling offside all game , breaking our play up will harm the system , offensively it's about running from deep such as you'd expect Isgrove to do whilst Bradshaw will play on the shoulder of his marker .

Isgrove and co from deep need to know where to run and when once the press trap is set .

With Liverpool Mane is the speed merchant and Salah the off the shouler guy , different level I know but it's relative to what Herr Daniel is trying to achieve .

It may not work overnight , the first couple of months might be problematic but as long as we remain in touch then I'd expect us to get stronger as the season progresses , hopefully !!
    Last edited by animallittle3; 07-06-2018 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doggydo View Post
    I agree with most of that list animal apart from the left back position, I don't think either Fryers or Pinilos is good enough defensively to be first choice and I think we need a creative midfielder who can pick out a killer pass.
    They wouldn't be my choice in the championship but I reckon we'd get away with it in league one hopefully .

Moncur is the man for the pass , his fitness to play this system is another matter of course .

One issue wi this so called gegenpress is that if tha ez three or four players trying to get the ball back straight away by tackling or hemming players in their heyf and it "fails" tha leaves thissen regularly artnumbered in midfield and defence. Expect a lotta goals at booath ends like at Liverpooil, which is o'reyt wi me as long as we are the ones winning 4-3. The'll evto run the b0ll0cks off to mek it work.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 07-06-2018 at 02:43 PM.

What I'd give for another Scowen

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    One issue wi this so called gegenpress is that if tha ez three or four players trying to get the ball back straight away by tackling or hemming players in their heyf and it "fails" tha leaves thissen regularly artnumbered in midfield and defence. Expect a lotta goals at booath ends like at Liverpooil, which is o'reyt wi me as long as we are the ones winning 4-3. The'll evto run the b0ll0cks off to mek it work.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I do have a couple of concerns though steve and this isn't a criticism of the appointment by the way .

Firstly only half of this league will have it on the floor and want to play a bit of football , the other half will be more direct and get it forward quickly up to a big man and feed off the second and third balls .

In some games there won't be anyone to press and I'm hopeful this penny will drop fairly quickly because in these circumstances we will need a plan b , especially away from home .

Secondly the movement offensively is crucial when we press and recover the ball , it's alright running your nacker off only for Bradshaw to keep falling offside all game , breaking our play up will harm the system , offensively it's about running from deep such as you'd expect Isgrove to do whilst Bradshaw will play on the shoulder of his marker .

Isgrove and co from deep need to know where to run and when once the press trap is set .

With Liverpool Mane is the speed merchant and Salah the off the shouler guy , different level I know but it's relative to what Herr Daniel is trying to achieve .

It may not work overnight , the first couple of months might be problematic but as long as we remain in touch then I'd expect us to get stronger as the season progresses , hopefully !!
    Can't really add owt to that mate. Think you've covered it. Isgrove will have to break the lines through the middle as he did during the promotion season when we're in possession with that sudden burst of pace. Which brings in the pace aspect you mentioned earlier.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast