+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 'walk off' life would mean Dire Straits...

The 'walk off' life would mean Dire Straits...

Or, in non-pun language is Southgate right to say that England won't walk off if they are racially abused because it means we would be chucked out of the tournament?

I can see an argument for both staying on the pitch and for walking off, tbh.

On the one hand, if we walk off, the morons have won. Russia would get a fine from FIFA but England-or whichever team it was who walked off-would throw away years of work, the hopes and dreams of the players and fans alike, millions of pounds, etc. Plus, it wouldn't do anything to change the mindset of the people doing it.

But, if they stay on the pitch, then....the morons have won in a different way. It would be as if that sort of abuse didn't matter, ah, just ignore the nasty men with their monkey noises-type response.....is that the sort of thing that can just be ignored without actually handing power to the scum doing it...and almost vindicating those who will argue 'stop being so precious or offended on other people's behalf'?

How to fix it? For a start, FIFA shouldn't throw a team out of the tournament for walking off for racial abuse but, given that that's the case, what stance do you think teams should take?

They shouldn't be thrown out of the tournament but at the same time the cynic in me thinks if a team is losing then they could walk off citing racism whether it's true or not.

It also feels harsh to punish the nation for their fans but equally I think that is the only way that might stop it.

I agree that there are arguments for both sides. There are many complex elements to consider in this case.

I'm really not sure. I'd like for the players to stay on the pitch and the perpeprators of racist abuse to get tracked down systematically and banned appropriately, BUT football and politics sometimes go hand in hand. What I mean by that is the fact that Russian fans (if they are responsible) likely won't get banned/prosecuted in their own country as things stand. FIFA can fine Russia, but what will the anti-racism cause truly gain from that? And football too?

I think the biggest thing to do in order to get message across in an effective, moving and serious way would be to walk off the pitch, potentially leaving the tournament but having fought a battle for human kind. If it's certain that a team can still be in the tournament, there's no doubt they should leave the pitch if racism towards them or some of their players occur IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    the cynic in me thinks if a team is losing then they could walk off citing racism whether it's true or not.
    Good point, hadn't thought of that. Maybe it will be evident who is responsible from video footage etc.? I don't know.

If FIFA had taken racism seriously to start with then Russia wouldn't have been awarded the World Cup in the first place.

I don’t think it’ll happen. We know how dodgy Putin is, the lot that would do it ie hooligan groups will have been told that it can’t/won’t happen as he won’t want Russia seen in a bad light. As for violence I think there will be little if any again direction of Putin.

as someone who has been racially abused i would walk off

and if it means being thrown out of te tournament so what we wont win it so making a point would be more beneficial for all concerned

we seem to be more interested in making sure gays lesbians etc feel safe to play the game
    but the black and asian lads need to feel protected

17 k fines is nothing

grow some balls live by your convictions and walk
    show support for the balck lads

the tteam and the game will benefit from it in the long run

if the gays etc witnessd it maybe more of them would feel as if they could come out and would be protected

kill two birds with one stone

Everyone knows what Russia is like already. Putin won his recent election with a landslide on the back of a campaign of discrimination and warning of the threat of PC.

If some players feel strongly about it then don´t go. Once there, do your job and be a professional.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    If FIFA had taken racism seriously to start with then Russia wouldn't have been awarded the World Cup in the first place.
    Agreed.

Absolute joke of an award.

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    Agreed.

Absolute joke of an award.
    Same goes for Qatar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)