+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shaun Derry

Shaun Derry

New first-team coach at Oxford... https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44385494

Think this is a good move for him. Working with an experienced head like Robinson will put him in good stead for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Think this is a good move for him. Working with an experienced head like Robinson will put him in good stead for the future.
    Yep, his strong points seem to be motivation and building a cohesive group, and his weak points tactics and transfers, so hopefully he'll do well as a coach.

A future quiz question might be: Which former Notts County player went to both Oxford and Cambridge?

That's why i like this board...some smart funny folk on here that make me smile and laugh....good one mate!

I always thought Derry was a similar mould to Craig Short. Both would be a great "Head Coach" where a good director of football was in place to get a squad together for them. Derry listened far too much to Abbott in my opinion. He needed to follow his own instinct. Always worried me when he talked about 3 squads. One until Christmas, then one until Feb then one until end of the season, you can't rotate a squad that way and expect results. As it turned out, his pre Christmas squad was fine, then the other two were tosh and we went down!

Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Yep, his strong points seem to be motivation and building a cohesive group, and his weak points tactics and transfers, so hopefully he'll do well as a coach.
    I'm not sure a tactically naive coach is much use to anyone. Still, he wasn't our worst manager ever. Trew alone employed a few who made him seem like Pep.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    I'm not sure a tactically naive coach is much use to anyone. Still, he wasn't our worst manager ever. Trew alone employed a few who made him seem like Pep.
    He's definitely up there with the worst

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    As a coach I don't think he'll have anything to do with the tactics, surely the manager and his assistant will take care of that. He'll just put the cones out and try and make training enjoyable then wind the players up before a game, which he's probably quite good at.

Joined Premier League Crystal Palace today as "professional development coach" within the academy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast