+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The Villa latest

The Villa latest

According to today’s The Times, Villa owe other clubs £11million from transfer deals, including WBA!!

How the heck can we get ourselves into a situation where we are owed money from transfer deals this late after any transfers? What the hell are our Financial dept doing for goodness sake.

For those looking for us to get some players out and replacements to come in from the money we are going to get then maybe this puts a whole new light on that situation. Maybe Leicester’s 2 instalment plan for Evans is just the tip of the iceberg. The club is run as a joke not a multi million pound business.

Quote Originally Posted by Yarmbaggie View Post
    According to today’s The Times, Villa owe other clubs £11million from transfer deals, including WBA!!

How the heck can we get ourselves into a situation where we are owed money from transfer deals this late after any transfers? What the hell are our Financial dept doing for goodness sake.

For those looking for us to get some players out and replacements to come in from the money we are going to get then maybe this puts a whole new light on that situation. Maybe Leicester’s 2 instalment plan for Evans is just the tip of the iceberg. The club is run as a joke not a multi million pound business.
    Staggered transfer fees are common place in football and have been for some time. The only real issues when negotiating such terms regard how much is paid in the first instance and the stipulation of penalty charges for late payment. It doesn't put any real light on anything as previous miss spending and relegation are greater issues than scheduled transfer payments. I'd imagine the majority of multi million pound businesses are run along similar lines.

I seem to recall the world financial crash was in essence because financial institutions borrowed from each other and kept spending/lending on the back of these borrowed funds.

Ultimately came crashing down like a pack of cards once one or two big ones couldn’t pay. Not saying PL football is in that much of a state but the principle is the same. We don’t really know what the real situation is but it would be interesting to see what would happen if Abramovich as an example spat his dummy out over the visa issue and walked away taking out what he could with him off to Israel or wherever.

I seem to recall the world financial crash was in essence because financial institutions borrowed from each other and kept spending/lending on the back of these borrowed funds.

Ultimately came crashing down like a pack of cards once one or two big ones couldn’t pay. Not saying PL football is in that much of a state but the principle is the same. We don’t really know what the real situation is but it would be interesting to see what would happen if Abramovich as an example spat his dummy out over the visa issue and walked away taking out what he could with him off to Israel or wherever.
    The financial crash was caused by ludicrous judgement, poor investment, complacency and arrogance. In a similar vein Xia appears to have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. Lending isn't an issue in itself if you have the wherewithal to repay and keep to pre arranged schedules of payment. It becomes an issue when your source of finance dries up, you wear a blind fold then throw your chips on the table hoping for the best with the spin of a very expensive wheel.

Many clubs run their finances close to the wind but nobody forces them to. Xia has made a series of poor choices. Albion didn't make a poor choice accepting staggered payments for Chester who arrived for an over inflated fee in the first instance. They made a poor choice buying a centre half for a manger who wanted to convert him to play right back and then selling him on, as opposed to either playing him in his natural position or signing an actual live and breathing right back who was comfortable in the position.

It's about resources and using them to your best advantage as a football club. On a smaller scale many people pay mortgages and use credit to pay for cars etc, but nobody forces people to live beyond their means. Credit isn't the issue, the choices people make are. The greater problem with football is clubs operate in an over inflated market which necessitates the use of staggered payments and credit. The Sky explosion of the early 90's and subsequent TV deals, allied to the greed of those at the top of the food chain, have a lot to answer for.

The Xia's, Ridsdale's (not specifically) and others who've gambled are a symptom of a disease but they are not it's cause. Similar to Williams and Goodman (whose eyes must have bulged when they saw £40,000,000 lying in Albion's bank account) at the the start of last season, they had the resources at their disposal but didn't use them judiciously. I'm just hoping we don't suffer for Williams/Goodman's loose fingered and sweaty palmed stupidity too much further down the line.

Maybe we could have Grealish as payment.

Like Albionic said this is staggered payments are a longstanding and common practice in football.

It stems from football debts always taking priority over all other debt, so if the worse happens and a club goes into administration, any rescue plan would have to guarantee the repayment of football debt.

To refer to Albion as a joke is easy on here, but maybe fans should look at themselves when asking for millions to be spent at a whim.

I am not having a go at your personally Yarm, but weren't you getting equally aggravated this time last season when we didn't spend £18m in quickly signing, your Brother endorsed, Kevin Wimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    The financial crash was caused by ludicrous judgement, poor investment, complacency and arrogance. In a similar vein Xia appears to have been robbing Peter to pay Paul. Lending isn't an issue in itself if you have the wherewithal to repay and keep to pre arranged schedules of payment. It becomes an issue when your source of finance dries up, you wear a blind fold then throw your chips on the table hoping for the best with the spin of a very expensive wheel.

Many clubs run their finances close to the wind but nobody forces them to. Xia has made a series of poor choices. Albion didn't make a poor choice accepting staggered payments for Chester who arrived for an over inflated fee in the first instance. They made a poor choice buying a centre half for a manger who wanted to convert him to play right back and then selling him on, as opposed to either playing him in his natural position or signing an actual live and breathing right back who was comfortable in the position.

It's about resources and using them to your best advantage as a football club. On a smaller scale many people pay mortgages and use credit to pay for cars etc, but nobody forces people to live beyond their means. Credit isn't the issue, the choices people make are. The greater problem with football is clubs operate in an over inflated market which necessitates the use of staggered payments and credit. The Sky explosion of the early 90's and subsequent TV deals, allied to the greed of those at the top of the food chain, have a lot to answer for.

The Xia's, Ridsdale's (not specifically) and others who've gambled are a symptom of a disease but they are not it's cause. Similar to Williams and Goodman (whose eyes must have bulged when they saw £40,000,000 lying in Albion's bank account) at the the start of last season, they had the resources at their disposal but didn't use them judiciously. I'm just hoping we don't suffer for Williams/Goodman's loose fingered and sweaty palmed stupidity too much further down the line.

Very possibly the best and most succinct reply I’ve ever read on here.

This “payment down the line” thing winds me up though,I wish my suppliers would let me pay for my goods over a three year period!

If football worked in the way my trade does it’d be a better business model,I actually pay my suppliers within ten days of receiving goods as this earns me around 3% extra early payment discount and over a year it saves a fortune.

A £10m transfer paid on such terms would save a club £300,000 and that’s £6,000 a week over a year you then don’t need to earn ( more if you count lost interest on the money you may be in hock to the bank for! )

Clubs are all about “jam today”.....too eager to attain the success that only three teams out of 23 can achieve in the Football League.

In my opinion transfer should be handled by a central type of bank clearing house and vetted by such.

Club revenue and coffers should be an open book for a neutral body and if the maths don’t stack up the transfer should be refused.

I also think that the bulk of the TV money should be held by said bank until the end of each season and they should be the clearing house that diverts funds to players and creditors and any residue is transferred to a club owner on June 1st each year at season end.

Let’s see how many 4 foot 3 inch tall Chinese Bonsai tree salesmen are desperate to buy an English club once those rules are instigated!?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Very possibly the best and most succinct reply I’ve ever read on here.

This “payment down the line” thing winds me up though,I wish my suppliers would let me pay for my goods over a three year period!

If football worked in the way my trade does it’d be a better business model,I actually pay my suppliers within ten days of receiving goods as this earns me around 3% extra early payment discount and over a year it saves a fortune.

A £10m transfer paid on such terms would save a club £300,000 and that’s £6,000 a week over a year you then don’t need to earn ( more if you count lost interest on the money you may be in hock to the bank for! )

Clubs are all about “jam today”.....too eager to attain the success that only three teams out of 23 can achieve in the Football League.

In my opinion transfer should be handled by a central type of bank clearing house and vetted by such.

Club revenue and coffers should be an open book for a neutral body and if the maths don’t stack up the transfer should be refused.

I also think that the bulk of the TV money should be held by said bank until the end of each season and they should be the clearing house that diverts funds to players and creditors and any residue is transferred to a club owner on June 1st each year at season end.

Let’s see how many 4 foot 3 inch tall Chinese Bonsai tree salesmen are desperate to buy an English club once those rules are instigated!?

Unless an individual is seriously wealthy a football club, car or girl can become a toy, but most ruthless owners are there for one thing only - get rich on the back of those who have little or no cash! Do you really think Peace loved the club - did he feck, as he shafted it big time, albeit some would say, he was not stupid with money, but then again as the majority shareholder - it was his cash, so why would he be reckless!

Greed is everywhere, from owners to players who don't give a flying feck about the shirt! Do we really think, Evans gives a jot about moving down the road on more cash, or Fletcher who was paid more at Stoke, or McClean who is a scumbag who turns his back on the national anthem but happy to pick up British money. Supporters are just a cash cow, but even now irrelevant, with TV money. Bournemouth with 8,000 crowds are now a bigger club than us and Villa as tradition, past glory or fan base, stands for jack ****, apart from perhaps - potential.

I bet many who live in nice areas will testify - the "haves" in these areas are motivated by greed and would not give you the steam off their piss. You go and see a relative, in a not so nice area, and the "have nots", would offer to buy you a pint from their last fiver. That's the World we live in..........

Wealth does not single people out though, as look no further than Kate Spade who was seriously wealthy, or Peter Stringfellow who had more rides, than Diana. They are now both jed.........

PS - you should get more than 3% Mick for early settlement as thought you were good at screwing
    Last edited by baggieal; 07-06-2018 at 06:39 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)