+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stendel first interview

Stendel first interview

After joining Barnsley on Wednesday, Head Coach Daniel Stendel is relishing the opportunity of implementing his ideology on his new team.

The German, who signed a two-year deal with the Reds, wants to play a brand of exciting attacking football in order to help the Club achieve its main goal for the upcoming season.

“The style of football that the fans can expect is for us to play actively, to get the ball forward and regain the ball back quickly after losing it,” insisted Stendel.

“I want to put pressure on the opponent – defend offensively – as a team. Team spirit is important for this style of football. The English style of football fits well to my personal football philosophy, and my main goal is to be the best football playing team in the league.”

After leaving his native Germany to take up the role at Oakwell, Daniel explained that once he had discussions with the board during the interview process, it was an easy decision to become the new Head Coach ahead of the 2018/19 campaign.

“I am very happy to join Barnsley Football Club and I am happy with the faith, trust and belief shown to me from everyone here in advance of me starting the role. I’m fully motivated and excited to get going, I am ready to meet the players and fans during pre-season.

“Over the last couple of days I got the feeling that the responsible people within the club have the same vision about playing the game as I have. I get the overall feeling that everything is fitting together, we’re all thinking in the same direction and that was a main reason for me signing.

“I’ve got the view that the way in which I want to reach success, is mirrored by the people in charge. That is really important and made my decision an easy one. It’s really important to want to be successful, but if you only want to be and don’t have a plan of how to be, it won’t work. At Barnsley there is a plan, that is very clear and it becomes a pathway to success.”

Stendel was most recently the manager at Hannover 96 and boasted an impressive goals to game ratio, with 50 scored in 28 outings. The 44-year-old also won 54% of his games in charge of Die Roten as they aimed to secure promotion from Bundesliga 2 at the first attempt and the new Head Coach told barnsleyfc.co.uk more about his background as well other help he may have at his disposal within the English game.

“I played in the Bundesliga 2 and I was working as a youth manager at the Hannover 96 academy, then became head coach while they were in the Bundesliga 2.

“I know Daniel Farke [Norwich City], and I also played with David Wagner [Huddersfield Town] and Thomas Christiansen [Leeds United, previously]. I’ve also got communication with Jos Luhukay [Sheffield Wednesday]. I know the guys quite well and there’s easy access, and if there’s an opportunity I’d like to get some information, but I will still continue my own way with my route and style of football.”

With pre-season just around the corner, our Head Coach is eager to meet the playing staff and is positive of a successful campaign at Oakwell.

“I’m motivated and curious to meet the players, I’m looking forward to working with them and I hope the players are open minded and motivated to work with a new Head Coach,” continued Stendel.

“I hope that my energy and the motivation of the whole coaching staff will pull the Club to a more prospective future than what happened last season.”

Following a long period of working within an academy structure at previous club Hannover 96, Daniel and his staff will be looking to implement a structure over time at the Club which will see every player at all age levels playing in a style that would prepare them for the first team.

“We have been in good conversations with Bobby, Gauthier and the shareholders that I have got a certain idea – a clear philosophy of football – not just in terms of the system, but the aspects that I am focussing on. I want the academy to focus on the aspects of the game as well to make it easier for the young players to step up into the first team.

“The earlier they learn the idea of my football, the easier it will be for them to step into the first team. At Hannover, I brought players into the first team. However, the focus for the first couple of months will be on the first team, naturally.”

After signing contract terms on Wednesday at Oakwell, Stendel will begin his reign on July 1st. He has now returned to Germany to finish the moving process but he is already looking forward to a return, after being impressed with the set-up of his new footballing home.

“Having seen the set-up and infrastructure of the stadium I feel already that there is a lot of energy within the Club. When I was at Hannover, I had the whole city behind the club and I want the fans to follow my ideas. It’s important that we work together as a team – not just the coaching staff and the players, but also the supporters.

“I see Barnsley as a long-term project, but at the same time I want success as quickly as possible. At the end of the day, you become a manager to be successful and with the ambition to be successful. I now can’t wait to get back in for pre-season training, meet with the players and begin to train together for the new season. I hope Barnsley fans have had a great summer and will be looking forward to joining us!”

Get darn to Weight Watchers lads. Dan is coming and is going to get you.

At last a plan and some sense spoken. Wish him well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    At last a plan and some sense spoken. Wish him well.
    That's what I like steve about the guy , he's coming with a plan , he knows what he wants and the way it's going to be , that's the German method and confidence , the tail doesn't wag the German dog .

I'm sure everyone will get a shot at it in pre season and he will make up his mind as it goes along , some won't be what he's looking for , the ability to run would be helpful if you want to be starting games at this club .

What gets me is why are there so many players overweight it's a disgrace the first signing has got to be someone to kick them into shape or get rid of them

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    What gets me is why are there so many players overweight it's a disgrace the first signing has got to be someone to kick them into shape or get rid of them
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they are overweight or unfit .

Possibly not fit enough to play the counter press system .........yet !!!

I like his way of thinking and I hope it pays off. All I ever ask of a player is to play with passion and give their all. It does my head in if a player loses the ball then leaves it for the next man to hopefully win it back so this high press syle is going to suit me just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I wouldn't go so far as to say they are overweight or unfit .

Possibly not fit enough to play the counter press system .........yet !!!
    Ad se three or four are overweight and unfit. A number last season were done after an hour, some blowing arta thur arses after heyf an hour.

I'm impressed with his philosophy and outlook. We may have a promising season if the players buy into it. I hope he has good man management skills too. If that's the case we should be on to a winner there.

I hope Daniel has a major word in who we sign. They've got to fit into his system. It's oreight Goathair chucking some players like Thiam Dan's way but if they are as unfit as him then it ain't gonna work. This could be our downfall. Tha knows who'll cop forrit anorl if results are poor.

This new HC guy sounds impressive and professional. Its great to hear about the young uns laiking his style so they're more equipped to integrate into the first team as and when ready. The mentality is there running throughout the club if that is the case.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast