+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new staff for H/C

new staff for H/C

Barnsley Football Club can confirm the appointment of Andreas Winkler and Christopher Stern as Assistant and First Team coach.

Barnsley Football Club can confirm the appointment of Andreas Winkler and Christopher Stern as Assistant and First Team coach.

The pair will link up with Daniel Stendel, following the appointment of the Head Coach earlier this week.

Winkler, who spent 17 years in various capacities at German outfit Rot-Weiss Essen, began his career at the famed Bayern Munich Academy.

A midfielder by trade, the 48-year-old never played for the Bavarian’s first team, but impressed in their second team before moving on to join Blau-Weiß 90 Berlin in 1991.

From Berlin, Winkler signed for BSV Stahl Brandenburg where he spent one season before leaving for Hannover 96 in the Bundesliga 2.

The new Reds assistant enjoyed three campaigns in Lower Saxony with Die Roten, where he then joined VfB Lubeck before moving onto VfL Wolfsburg, who had won promotion to the Bundesliga in 1997. However, he failed to make an appearance for Die Wölfe, who finished 14th in their first season back in the top flight.

Winkler then opted to drop to the third tier of German football with Eintracht Braunschweig and played a key role as Die Löwen finished third in the Regionalliga.

A stint at FC Magdeburg at the turn of the millennium would follow before the former midfielder moved to Rot-Weiss Essen, where he would eventually end his playing career in 2003.

After retirement, Winkler joined the coaching staff at Essen – managing youth teams at various age groups – before becoming the club’s Sporting Director in 2016.

Meanwhile, Stern came through the ranks at Hannover 96 when Stendel was a youth coach. A versatile player who could operate in holding midfield or as a defender, the 25-year-old signed for Göttingen 03 in 2013.

The new Reds first team coach spent two seasons with Göttingen before moving to TSV Havelse in 2015, where he would eventually retire a year later.

After leaving Havelse, Stern linked up with Stendel at Hannover as part of the coaching staff and has followed his mentor to Oakwell ahead of the forthcoming campaign.

Andreas and Christopher will officially join the Reds' coaching set-up with Daniel Stendel on July 1st.

Quote Originally Posted by EastStandRed View Post

The pair will link up with Daniel Stendel, following the appointment of the Head Coach earlier this week.

Winkler, who spent 17 years in various capacities at German outfit Rot-Weiss Essen, began his career at the famed Bayern Munich Academy.

A midfielder by trade, the 48-year-old never played for the Bavarian’s first team, but impressed in their second team before moving on to join Blau-Weiß 90 Berlin in 1991.

From Berlin, Winkler signed for BSV Stahl Brandenburg where he spent one season before leaving for Hannover 96 in the Bundesliga 2.

The new Reds assistant enjoyed three campaigns in Lower Saxony with Die Roten, where he then joined VfB Lubeck before moving onto VfL Wolfsburg, who had won promotion to the Bundesliga in 1997. However, he failed to make an appearance for Die Wölfe, who finished 14th in their first season back in the top flight.

Winkler then opted to drop to the third tier of German football with Eintracht Braunschweig and played a key role as Die Löwen finished third in the Regionalliga.

A stint at FC Magdeburg at the turn of the millennium would follow before the former midfielder moved to Rot-Weiss Essen, where he would eventually end his playing career in 2003.

After retirement, Winkler joined the coaching staff at Essen – managing youth teams at various age groups – before becoming the club’s Sporting Director in 2016.

Meanwhile, Stern came through the ranks at Hannover 96 when Stendel was a youth coach. A versatile player who could operate in holding midfield or as a defender, the 25-year-old signed for Göttingen 03 in 2013.

The new Reds first team coach spent two seasons with Göttingen before moving to TSV Havelse in 2015, where he would eventually retire a year later.

After leaving Havelse, Stern linked up with Stendel at Hannover as part of the coaching staff and has followed his mentor to Oakwell ahead of the forthcoming campaign.

Andreas and Christopher will officially join the Reds' coaching set-up with Daniel Stendel on July 1st.
    A handle on the lower end of pro football , good stuff .

Animal tha's got in first mate. I know it was abroad but new gaffer is already surrounding himself with people who understand the workings of the lower leagues. Hope this works out because I don't for one minute think Stendel is on his jollies til 1st July. Sumat feels reight about this.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    A handle on the lower end of pro football , good stuff .
    Shouldn't that be a Handel on the lower end etc

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Shouldn't that be a Handel on the lower end etc
    Prefered Beethoven myself

I hope at last these 3 guys sort out the mess left in typical German fashion a strict and methodical way that gets results anyone who can't cut it Auf Wiedersehen

Aye pet

Quote Originally Posted by Ponte_Steve24 View Post
    Animal tha's got in first mate. I know it was abroad but new gaffer is already surrounding himself with people who understand the workings of the lower leagues. Hope this works out because I don't for one minute think Stendel is on his jollies til 1st July. Sumat feels reight about this.
    Did you read his statement about why he recruited those two?
    Made absolute total sense, Winkler known for years and knows most roles inside a football club and Stern played with him as a player and coach, so knows what a player needs and how to fit his system.

My heart's warming to this trio but my head tells me to wait and see after some of the decisions that's already been made by them upstairs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast