+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Your favourite Notts player ever - time for my new avatar

Steve Carter with Brian Stubbs a close second.

Just back from a month in Sorrento so catching up on whats been happening on here...this is an easy one to reply to:

GEORGE SMITH

It has to be Ray O'Brien for me.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Very hard and favourite doesn't mean best....one of Mair, Harkouk, Abramovic and Richards from our promotion and top flight days.
    Good one... OK so now it's either Tommy J, Rachid H or Benjy for me!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Good one... OK so now it's either Tommy J, Rachid H or Benjy for me!
    Can occasionally be seen driving the 25 bus.

Very, very shy and denied who he was until he got to know me, he's now comfortable chatting with me about the past. He told me he ended his playing days in Sweden, he should have played for a much bigger club than Notts, a very, very good player.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    True. Harkouk is one of my favourites because of what he represents ... a time when Notts were successful and had flair players. We didn't even need him and he was a bit of a luxury, but on his day, he could be almost world class. Much as I loved Carter, Scanlon and Les Bradd, they weren't part of the squad that took us to the top flight and stayed there for 3 years so they've been displaced in my mind by the 81/82 team, the best Notts team in living memory.
    Yeah. And this team could be stunning on its day. Remember the quality of the goals in Coventry 1 Notts 5, Ipswich (2nd best team in the land then) 1 Notts 2, Notts 6 Sunderland 0, Notts 4 Wolves 0 plus wins over Man U, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea etc

Richards was probably the best player followed by McCulloch, but the flair from Mair, Harkouk, Raddy was brilliant.

Before that, Masson was an even better player too, but I remember being gutted when he left. It was great to see his reputation soar, as maybe the best passer in the game, for QPR and Scotland. And then he came me back and did great again. But I can't remember a lot from his first spell and remember him just as much as a QPR player.

I notice there are no votes for our biggest signings - Agana (no surprise), Chiedozie, McSwegan, Schmeichel....
    Also surprised not to see Hughes mentioned more

So many it's hard to choose
    Big Tone
    The Don (Masson)
    Jeff Astle
    Don Roby
    Alan Withers
    Charlie Crickmore
    Mick Barber
    Les Bradd
    Kevin Randall
    Doc Pace
    Jimmy Raynor
    Ritchie Barker

Think I'll go with Don Roby. Tricky winger from the 50s and early 60s. Used to hold his arms in the air just like he was doing the highland fling as he jinked pass the opposition.
    First saw him in the 1959/60 promotion season. My hero until Mr Hateley showed up

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    he should have played for a much bigger club than Notts, a very, very good player.
    Definitely. Doesn't get mentioned much on here but what an excellent and consistent player he was.

I was always a big fan of Andy Legg and Paul Devlin, I cried when we sold them to Brimingham.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast