+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Carabao Cup (League Cup) changes

Carabao Cup (League Cup) changes

A couple of changes made to the League Cup-

1. No more extra time, except in the final. Games that are level after 90 minutes will go straight to penalties and the ABBA format has been abandoned.

2. No more seeding in rounds 1 and 2, though there will be some regionalisation.

I particularly like the look of number 2. A League 2 club like Notts will stand a better chance of going through to round 3. The present format has meant that League 2 clubs have had to beat two sides from higher up in order to get that far. Now there’s the chance of drawing fellow League 2 sides which may make progress easier.

But I bet we get S****horpe away again....

Quote Originally Posted by Frigiliana Pie 1 View Post
    A couple of changes made to the League Cup-

1. No more extra time, except in the final. Games that are level after 90 minutes will go straight to penalties and the ABBA format has been abandoned.

2. No more seeding in rounds 1 and 2, though there will be some regionalisation.

I particularly like the look of number 2. A League 2 club like Notts will stand a better chance of going through to round 3. The present format has meant that League 2 clubs have had to beat two sides from higher up in order to get that far. Now there’s the chance of drawing fellow League 2 sides which may make progress easier.

But I bet we get S****horpe away again....
    Surprised the ABBA format has been abandoned. It was similar to the Tennis tie-break. Was it too difficult for footy fans to follow?

Quote Originally Posted by 60YearsAPie View Post
    Surprised the ABBA format has been abandoned. It was similar to the Tennis tie-break. Was it too difficult for footy fans to follow?
    It probably was fairer in truth, but it just didn't feel natural, somehow.