+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ot - Your Birthday (Events trivia)

Ot - Your Birthday (Events trivia)

So I'm having this longish caper with a Barnsley Dyke and a Notts codger about my being coy about my age. (which I've mentioned long time before). But just for the fun of it , I'm refusing to declare.

Instead I gave a hint about my birth day. The things going on in the World at the time. Like these

1. A World Cup Year
    2. Muhammad Ali wasn't World Champion
    3. Labour was in power at the time of my birth.
    4. Paul VI was Pope
    5. Alf Ramsey was England manager.

And others like

6. The Monarch was Queen Elizabeth II

7. The Beatles were still together.

8. The Clough/Taylor partnership was well underway

9. There was no more executions in the UK.

10. Spurs were the only Double winning team at that point.

Anyway ignoring all this, I'd like to read some of the things that occurred in the world and sports at the time of your birth. You needn't say your age is you don't want to.
    Or the year even. Just a general feeling of what was going on at the time.

Like maybe Churchill was still PM. Derby were 2nd division Champions. Nobody heard of Gladys Hinton yet. Or Jackie Stewart was world champion. Petula Clark hit no 1. Or even in jest like, my client was still a 'swimmer' or not even a 'swimmer' yet.

Go on then. Don't be shy like me....

I still haven't got a scooby doo what your on about there kid.

Btw I shared a birthday with the date when we beat Belgium in '90, and Colombia in '98, and we drew (and lost on pens) with Germany in Euro '96, and even when little Denmark beat Germany in the Euro '92 Final.

And it is of course, June 26th.

I'm 56 does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    I still haven't got a scooby doo what your on about there kid.

Btw I shared a birthday with the date when we beat Belgium in '90, and Colombia in '98, and we drew (and lost on pens) with Germany in Euro '96, and even when little Denmark beat Germany in the Euro '92 Final.

And it is of course, June 26th.
    Always fun eh when your birthday falls in mid to late June. You're bound to be connected to some sporting events not just footy but tennis - French Open or even golf - The US Open not sure about our own Open I think that starts in July.

And of course the footy. Memorable WC Games. My brother was born on the day England became World Champion.

So pretty neat those things you mentioned. But besides this, what I really like to know for nostalgia is your actual day of birth. What was happening in the world at the time?
    So on June 26th 1971, what were the key thngd in the world. I can make some
    1. Edward Heath was PM
    2. Arsenal were Double Winners
    3. Maybe the Fight of the Century already occured? Need to Google that 1.
    4. Richard Nixon was USA President.
    5. Ajax and Cruyff win their first European Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I'm 56 does that help?
    Nope. 52 eh? Means 1962 right? What was going on at the time? I suspect it was the Beatles mania explosion!

On my day of birth the Dodgers optioned Tommy Lasorda to make room on roster for Sandy Koufax. Not that I remember it.

Eisenhower was POTUS
    Churchill was PM
    UK #1 at the time was Eddie Calvert - Oh Mein Papa
    Ca plein pour moi singer Plastic Bertrand was born the very same day (makes it easier to work it out......)

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Eisenhower was POTUS
    Churchill was PM
    UK #1 at the time was Eddie Calvert - Oh Mein Papa
    Ca plein pour moi singer Plastic Bertrand was born the very same day (makes it easier to work it out......)
    Having the same answers to the first three I thought I must be you.
    Same birthday as Oprah Winfrey, Tom Selleck, Anton Checkov and, disappointingly, Tony Blackburn.

They’re all older of course, except for Oprah who is exactly the same. Even more disappointingly I appear to be about four weeks older than ‘Amster.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 09-06-2018 at 11:35 AM.

Red Rum won his first grand national

Heroics from a Polish keeper prevented England qualifying for the WC

I think Mud Rock were number one.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanis View Post
    .. So pretty neat those things you mentioned. But besides this, what I really like to know for nostalgia is your actual day of birth. What was happening in the world at the time?
    So on June 26th 1971, what were the key thngd in the world. I can make some
    1. Edward Heath was PM
    2. Arsenal were Double Winners
    3. Maybe the Fight of the Century already occured? Need to Google that 1.
    4. Richard Nixon was USA President.
    5. Ajax and Cruyff win their first European Cup.
    Romanis kid, you forgot one more fact for that particular date..
    6. Middle of the road were number1 in the charts with 'Chirpy chirpy cheep cheep'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)