+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's your earliest world cup memory..

Whenever I think of the England football team, I increasingly associate them with the knobhead fans and the growing North/South divide. I'm obviously not saying all 'our' fans are like that but there's a decent number. Do the Scots, the Irish or the Welsh carry on like that? And I agree, Ash-it feels like a southern team rather than the national team and we get so little consideration from 'the South' that I identify as being Geordie far, far more than I identify as being English.

Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post
    Bryan Robson scorning at the start of the match in the Spain 82 World Cup against France I think we won 3-1
    I was 10 year old watching the game on holiday in Majorca in a dusty bar on a small portable tv with my dad and a dozen or so English.
    I was exited and the goal coming so near the start of the game was amazing
    I remember that back in 82 and also keegan (my childhood England hero) and Trevor Brooking coming on as subs versus Spain I think when we needed to score to go through but they couldn't quite manage it.

66 -ironic we had my german cousin staying with us
    ironic as well - he dashed down to blackett street post office and got a limited edition stamp - a world cup stamp overstamped with england winners strange what you remember

I was still at school when England took part in the 1950 event, the first one we had ever entered and would you believe we went out to the U.S.A. 1-0.

Us lads at school were taking pocket money bets pre holidays about how many we would score, most of us expecting double figures.

GK Bert Williams
    RB Alf Ramsey
    LB John Aston
    CH Billy Wright (c)
    MF Laurie Hughes
    MF Jimmy Dickinson
    FW Wilf Mannion
    FW Tom Finney
    FW Jimmy Mullen
    FW Stan Mortensen
    FW Roy Bentley
    The two listed as mid field were originally left half back and right half back ( the term midfielder wasn't used those days)
    Manager:
    Walter Winterbottom

And that's a strong and as good an England team as we have ever had.
    Last edited by ex_pat_magpie; 10-06-2018 at 08:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Whenever I think of the England football team, I increasingly associate them with the knobhead fans and the growing North/South divide. I'm obviously not saying all 'our' fans are like that but there's a decent number. Do the Scots, the Irish or the Welsh carry on like that? And I agree, Ash-it feels like a southern team rather than the national team and we get so little consideration from 'the South' that I identify as being Geordie far, far more than I identify as being English.
    There was a good mix of north/south in the 1950 team above Zip but not so much football politics those days. Except it was a selection committee who chose the team for quite a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by ex_pat_magpie View Post
    I was still at school when England took part in the 1950 event, the first one we had ever entered and would you believe we went out to the U.S.A. 1-0.

Us lads at school were taking pocket money bets pre holidays about how many we would score, most of us expecting double figures.

GK Bert Williams
    RB Alf Ramsey
    LB John Aston
    CH Billy Wright (c)
    MF Laurie Hughes
    MF Jimmy Dickinson
    FW Wilf Mannion
    FW Tom Finney
    FW Jimmy Mullen
    FW Stan Mortensen
    FW Roy Bentley
    The two listed as mid field were originally left half back and right half back ( the term midfielder wasn't used those days)
    Manager:
    Walter Winterbottom

And that's a strong and as good an England team as we have ever had.
    I think the USA goalscorer was Scots born and played for Third Division Bury.Another one for Wolfs I mean Ghosts conspiracy theories.

Quote Originally Posted by sherwoodmag View Post
    i think the usa goalscorer was scots born and played for third division bury.another one for wolfs i mean ghosts conspiracy theories.

I wonder what the great players of the time would think of that

xdxdxd

I hardly watch the worl cup
    I find watching to many games in such a short time just gets boring
    usually watch from quarter finals onwards

but the 1998 final france beating brazil was a good game

evening all you Toons people..
    as a guest on your most prominant of Footy boards i would like to select the West Ham United V Germany world Cup 1966,
    Captain Sir Bobby Moore, Hattrick Sir Geoff Hurst,( still a fete never achieved since in a final), and of course the 4th goal, Martin peters,
    thats tradition..
    take care all you Norverners,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by dagenhamJohn View Post
    evening all you Toons people..
    as a guest on your most prominant of Footy boards i would like to select the West Ham United V Germany world Cup 1966,
    Captain Sir Bobby Moore, Hattrick Sir Geoff Hurst,( still a fete never achieved since in a final), and of course the 4th goal, Martin peters,
    thats tradition..
    take care all you Norverners,
    John.
    All true but Northumberland lad Bobby Charlton playing deep stopped Beckenbaur getting forward from his sweeper position.He had destroyed a few teams on the way to the final.I was in my twentieth year and remember a lot of the games vividly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)