Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 118

Thread: O'Connor turns down 2nd offer from Notts

  1. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    This is the problem - I don't think we will find anyone better. He's our club captain, a real leader, and decent footballer - our best midfielder by some way. It's not easy to find an upgrade on that. Besides, I doubt we'll try to replace him. We've got loads of midfielders as it is, so maybe Hardy and Nolan are hoping one of the youngsters will step up.

    Sure, we did OK without him last season, but as we saw against Coventry, he could make a real difference to the way we play. Noble isn't anywhere near that level.
    It's one of those things, really. I'd still like to keep him with us, but Alan Hardy is absolutely right not to get into a bidding war for him. We've made two offers, and if he's still looking elsewhere, whatever the reason, then it's obvious his heart isn't really in staying at Notts County.

  2. #22
    If he doesn't sign so be it. He'll do what he feels right for him and his family. This will open the door for someone to stand up and make a claim whether that is Noble, Husin or new lad from Man. City. We can cope.

  3. #23
    I get the impression that Kevin Nolan is gearing up to play far more football on the ground next season, looking at the type of players he's signed, which would suit O'Connor, so it would be a strange time for him to leave for Lincoln, who were even more physical and direct than us last year.

  4. #24
    If Kevin Nolan shared the player's confidence that he was now injury free, then presumably he wouldn't have asked for the contract extension to be based on appearances, if indeed this is the problem. We have been here before, haven't we, with expensive players who never play eating up the budget. The club is different now, and that's no bad thing.

  5. #25
    It would be a see ya from me...
    Surely we would want players that are committed to the cause.
    Stuck with him through injury,always made him involved,got him back into first team action,and then ponders over a contract..
    There’s the door son
    Get yasen another club

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I get the impression that Kevin Nolan is gearing up to play far more football on the ground next season, looking at the type of players he's signed, which would suit O'Connor, so it would be a strange time for him to leave for Lincoln, who were even more physical and direct than us last year.
    I wouldnt hold your breath..Listening to a interview with Thomas he said that there was no reason to change a style that served us so well last season.. Only a minor tweak was needed..

  7. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I wouldnt hold your breath..Listening to a interview with Thomas he said that there was no reason to change a style that served us so well last season.. Only a minor tweak was needed..
    We don't have a target man, so either we will be changing style or we wont be doing anything this season

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Would imagine it is like the one Duffy had a couple of seasons ago & Stead last season.Play X games,get another year.
    What happened to the make "an offer",don't accept we move on to the next,maybe AH has learnt about this as well?
    In that case, it's pretty standard and fair enough from the club's POV.

    Pity it's Lincoln, a promotion rival MIGHT be getting an asset we need ourselves. If he's back to form and fitness, it would strengthen them. Watching the play-offs, I thought that bearded guy in CM was a weak link for them.

    All things considered, I'd say risk it and let him go. He was part of Shezza's record 10 (part of it suspended, I think) and wasn't all that impressive in games I could get to before his injury, IMO.
    Who knows, he might opt in after all, but definitely not worth a bidding war

  9. #29
    We are assuming of course that tallpie isn't telling porkies. I doubt AH would just drop that information into a casual conversation.

  10. #30
    Two songs come to mind;
    1. Time to go, time to go .........
    2. Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio ....
    Donít get me wrong, would love to have him for another year. But as KN says, we only want players that want to be here.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by 2piesonmyshirt View Post
    Two songs come to mind;
    1. Time to go, time to go .........
    2. Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio ....
    Don’t get me wrong, would love to have him for another year. But as KN says, we only want players that want to be here.
    He might want to be here, but if the contract is poor in his eyes then he as to look after himself and his family. Like you and anybody else at work if he can get a better deal elsewhere then good luck to him.

  12. #32
    Why would AH offer him a poor contract, and we only have tallpie's word for it that he was? Alan Hardy has been splashing the cash elsewhere to boost the squad, why would he think O'Connor deserves less than others? If it's a fact that the money was there but the length of contract wasn't, then there must be a reason for it. His fitness must come into consideration and O'Connor must know it, as would Nolan, and it would be him that decides a player's capability of surviving the physicallities of a full League 2 campaign.

  13. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    We don't have a target man, so either we will be changing style or we wont be doing anything this season
    We didnt have one last season, but that didnt stop us hoofing the ball to a guy who couldnt head one or stay on his feet.

  14. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    We didnt have one last season, but that didnt stop us hoofing the ball to a guy who couldnt head one or stay on his feet.
    You got a season ticket next season durham ? If yes, why?

  15. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    We don't have a target man, so either we will be changing style or we wont be doing anything this season
    We still have Stead, don't we? In any case we have two new strikers who, I would imagine, would prefer the passing game from a changed midfield, and League 2 defenders have ALWAYS given it the big boot - well ours have - AANNNDDD! Mr Hardy seems to indicate we haven't finished in the transfer business yet.

  16. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    You got a season ticket next season durham ? If yes, why?
    I live in hope navypie that one day i may once again see the flowing football that we used to play, with the like of Carter, Scanlon. Mair, Bradd and so on. Yes i have a season ticket for next season and yes i will go to all home and away games.. The football that Nolan employs is dredfull to watch, regardless of the result. And i dont expect things to change very soon..

    I would suspect that Mr Hardy will not accept anything less than automatic promotion this year. If we are off the pace around Xmas i could see changes being made.....

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    6,940
    Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    Why would AH offer him a poor contract, and we only have tallpie's word for it that he was? Alan Hardy has been splashing the cash elsewhere to boost the squad, why would he think O'Connor deserves less than others? If it's a fact that the money was there but the length of contract wasn't, then there must be a reason for it. His fitness must come into consideration and O'Connor must know it, as would Nolan, and it would be him that decides a player's capability of surviving the physicallities of a full League 2 campaign.
    What is poor to one man might be fine to another, we don't know what was offered or what he can get elsewhere. If he as been offered a 1 year deal but can get 2or3 somewhere and possibly on more money then at his age surely it makes sense to accept it.
    Having said that I hope he stays.

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by i961pie View Post
    He might want to be here, but if the contract is poor in his eyes then he as to look after himself and his family. Like you and anybody else at work if he can get a better deal elsewhere then good luck to him.
    Which is exactly why I said let him go.
    I wasnít knocking him, just saying we are where we are, letís move on

  19. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I live in hope navypie that one day i may once again see the flowing football that we used to play, with the like of Carter, Scanlon. Mair, Bradd and so on. Yes i have a season ticket for next season and yes i will go to all home and away games.. The football that Nolan employs is dredfull to watch, regardless of the result. And i dont expect things to change very soon..

    I would suspect that Mr Hardy will not accept anything less than automatic promotion this year. If we are off the pace around Xmas i could see changes being made.....
    This ^^^^^^

    Would add that I would like O'Connor to stay, and if he wants a two year contract then offer him one. Surely if there was any doubt about his fitness they would have off loaded him....
    Last edited by Wedgie_pie; 11-06-2018 at 03:58 PM.

  20. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Agree with the last few posters.
    It surprises me though. Has he actually played 90mins since Notts helped him back to save his career?
    Players are insured against injury

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •