+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Connor turns down 2nd offer from Notts

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    This is the problem - I don't think we will find anyone better. He's our club captain, a real leader, and decent footballer - our best midfielder by some way. It's not easy to find an upgrade on that. Besides, I doubt we'll try to replace him. We've got loads of midfielders as it is, so maybe Hardy and Nolan are hoping one of the youngsters will step up.

Sure, we did OK without him last season, but as we saw against Coventry, he could make a real difference to the way we play. Noble isn't anywhere near that level.
    It's one of those things, really. I'd still like to keep him with us, but Alan Hardy is absolutely right not to get into a bidding war for him. We've made two offers, and if he's still looking elsewhere, whatever the reason, then it's obvious his heart isn't really in staying at Notts County.

If he doesn't sign so be it. He'll do what he feels right for him and his family. This will open the door for someone to stand up and make a claim whether that is Noble, Husin or new lad from Man. City. We can cope.

I get the impression that Kevin Nolan is gearing up to play far more football on the ground next season, looking at the type of players he's signed, which would suit O'Connor, so it would be a strange time for him to leave for Lincoln, who were even more physical and direct than us last year.

If Kevin Nolan shared the player's confidence that he was now injury free, then presumably he wouldn't have asked for the contract extension to be based on appearances, if indeed this is the problem. We have been here before, haven't we, with expensive players who never play eating up the budget. The club is different now, and that's no bad thing.

It would be a see ya from me...
    Surely we would want players that are committed to the cause.
    Stuck with him through injury,always made him involved,got him back into first team action,and then ponders over a contract..
    There’s the door son
    Get yasen another club

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I get the impression that Kevin Nolan is gearing up to play far more football on the ground next season, looking at the type of players he's signed, which would suit O'Connor, so it would be a strange time for him to leave for Lincoln, who were even more physical and direct than us last year.
    I wouldnt hold your breath..Listening to a interview with Thomas he said that there was no reason to change a style that served us so well last season.. Only a minor tweak was needed..

Quote Originally Posted by durhampie View Post
    I wouldnt hold your breath..Listening to a interview with Thomas he said that there was no reason to change a style that served us so well last season.. Only a minor tweak was needed..
    We don't have a target man, so either we will be changing style or we wont be doing anything this season

Quote Originally Posted by irishpete View Post
    Would imagine it is like the one Duffy had a couple of seasons ago & Stead last season.Play X games,get another year.
    What happened to the make "an offer",don't accept we move on to the next,maybe AH has learnt about this as well?
    In that case, it's pretty standard and fair enough from the club's POV.

Pity it's Lincoln, a promotion rival MIGHT be getting an asset we need ourselves. If he's back to form and fitness, it would strengthen them. Watching the play-offs, I thought that bearded guy in CM was a weak link for them.

All things considered, I'd say risk it and let him go. He was part of Shezza's record 10 (part of it suspended, I think) and wasn't all that impressive in games I could get to before his injury, IMO.
    Who knows, he might opt in after all, but definitely not worth a bidding war

We are assuming of course that tallpie isn't telling porkies. I doubt AH would just drop that information into a casual conversation.

Two songs come to mind;
    1. Time to go, time to go .........
    2. Cheerio, cheerio, cheerio ....
    Don’t get me wrong, would love to have him for another year. But as KN says, we only want players that want to be here.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast