+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Connor turns down 2nd offer from Notts

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Wise medicine man he say 'Judge no man until you have walked from sunrise to moonrise in his moccasins.'
    ...and how true that is, even today.

Seamus Android, Round the Horne, c1965.

Quote Originally Posted by queenslandpie View Post
    One of the main reasons we have struggled in recent years are older players on longer contracts chewing up the wage build and are are unable to offload them. I say get rid of O'Connor. Any more than a one year deal is a complete waste. Very happy to reinvest the wage in someone younger fitter and hopefully better. On a 1 year deal!
    Or younger players who are not good enough for professional football. Or a cancerous atmosphere around the club. Or ****e managers. ****e facilities. ****e Guy Branstons of the world. There are loads of reasons we have been ****e.
    We need a player with experience, leadership etc who would likely be in his 30’s. That does not have to be O’Connor, although sometimes it’s better the devil you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Or younger players who are not good enough for professional football. Or a cancerous atmosphere around the club. Or ****e managers. ****e facilities. ****e Guy Branstons of the world. There are loads of reasons we have been ****e.
    We need a player with experience, leadership etc who would likely be in his 30’s. That does not have to be O’Connor, although sometimes it’s better the devil you know.
    ..and how true that is, even today.

Quote Originally Posted by LaxtonLad View Post
    ..and how true that is, even today.

Joe, he was a young cordwangler,
    Munging greebles he did go,
    And he loved a bogler's daughter
    By the name of Chiswick Flo.

(Rambling Syd Rumpo-about the same time, and the same show )

Could Noble step up?

Quote Originally Posted by marshall55 View Post
    Could Noble step up?
    Realistically, and judging by performances since his return, I'd have to say this is highly unlikely as he's looked hopeless in all but one game I've seen.

He performs as though his instructions have been to not tackle and when receiving the ball, to get rid of it as quickly as possible by kicking it aimlessly to the other end of the pitch. He's given 'one touch' football a whole new meaning.

The difference between him and O'Connor in the two halves of the Coventry home game tell you pretty much all you need to know.

This is true of last season, but we know he has it in him, he can tackle, decent vision and the odd goal, maybe with our younger pairing up top those balls he put into the channels might just work.

Noble was pretty poor last season but, to be fair to him, his game is about passing. With Grant and Virtue out wide and Ameobi and Stead upfront, there were no runners to pass to.

That said, Hewitt's game is to chase around harrying. He needs someone, like Yates, to protect the back 4 and control the game. For me, Noble doesn't have the desire or the ability to play that role preferring to go forward. I struggle to see how Noble fits in to a midfield 2 - but perhaps that's not what Nolan is planning for next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Wise medicine man he say 'Judge no man until you have walked from sunrise to moonrise in his moccasins.'
    Don't judge anyone a fool until you've walked a mile in their shoes. If it turns out you were right about them at least you'll be a mile away, plus you'll have their shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Can you explain to me how he deserves longer than a year pal? He was rubbish under Sheridan, missed most of this season and is yet to play 90 mins. He had a couple of decent cameos, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that a. He can play a full season on his dodgy knee and b. Whether he will be any good anyway. He is also 30.

Offering him a one year deal with incentives was absolutely the right thing to do. He needs to prove his fitness again. Lincoln are mugs for offering more. I applaud Notts for being sensible.
    I think its right for the club to be sensible and we have been stung too many times in the past with players who have signed who have been injury prone on long contracts. I do think O'Connor is a good player and feel we do need a senior player in the central midfield. The thing is no one player is bigger than the club and the club can't be held to ransom, so the club can only go so far. Two offers already is far enough in my opinion and shows Notts want to keep him. It's probably not like Sheehan who's interview after the Oldham game was telling to which he then went to Luton.

Having said that I can understand a player that may want a longer contract for security of their family. The only thing I don't know is whether it's one of the those contracts where it maybe a year and then if he makes so many appearances it automatically triggers a second year which I'm assuming is like what happened with Jon Stead?

The thing is if O'Connor were to go to Lincoln it's in close proximity to us, they are a promotion rival and he actually had a loan spell there back in 2009. He's also spent time at S****horpe and Rotherham so maybe is settled in this part of the world?? So depending on where he lives a move to Lincoln may not cause too much disruption for him and his family.

A tough one for both parties especially if the player wants to stay as well. If not then it's probably for the best to let him go.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast