+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: O'Connor turns down 2nd offer from Notts

Don't think we're replacing him. If you read into this.
    https://twitter.com/Bigalanh5/status...584994817?s=19

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Don't think we're replacing him. If you read into this.
    https://twitter.com/Bigalanh5/status...584994817?s=19
    Numbers-wise Alan hardy is right. I take the point that Husin, Patching and Crawford are all young players with only a handful of senior games between them, but it's no good carrying any more "ones for the future". They need to step up and become true first-team contenders. If they prove incapable of doing this, then you have to question the judgement of those doing the recruiting, but let's be positive and believe they will do the business. All the talk about "Development Squads" at this level is piffle. We can't afford such luxuries. You've either got a meaningful role to play, or you might as well not be here, as Saunders and Hodge conclusively proved last season.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    Numbers-wise Alan hardy is right. I take the point that Husin, Patching and Crawford are all young players with only a handful of senior games between them, but it's no good carrying any more "ones for the future". They need to step up and become true first-team contenders. If they prove incapable of doing this, then you have to question the judgement of those doing the recruiting, but let's be positive and believe they will do the business. All the talk about "Development Squads" at this level is piffle. We can't afford such luxuries. You've either got a meaningful role to play, or you might as well not be here, as Saunders and Hodge conclusively proved last season.
    Whilst we cannot afford the luxury of a "Development Squad" we still need to develop our youngsters and that means managing how they are thrown into the deep end.

The questions that come to my mind re O'Connor are:

1) Would we have got automatic promotion had he been fit all season? I'd say yes.
    2) Would we improve our chances of automatic promotion next season if he stays fit. I'll say yes again.
    3) Will he stay fit all season? If there's a serious doubt, and I assume that's one of the stumbling blocks, then let him go.

FWIW Noble is and never was the answer. He flatters to deceive The kids will have more chance of developing with O'Connor leading them.

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Whilst we cannot afford the luxury of a "Development Squad" we still need to develop our youngsters and that means managing how they are thrown into the deep end.

The questions that come to my mind re O'Connor are:

1) Would we have got automatic promotion had he been fit all season? I'd say yes.
    2) Would we improve our chances of automatic promotion next season if he stays fit. I'll say yes again.
    3) Will he stay fit all season? If there's a serious doubt, and I assume that's one of the stumbling blocks, then let him go.

FWIW Noble is and never was the answer. He flatters to deceive The kids will have more chance of developing with O'Connor leading them.
    I would have liked him to stay, but I think Alan Hardy is right not to go beyond the wage structure he obviously thinks is reasonable. If O'Connor's heart isn't in being here, then he might as well go. The question is, do we need another midfielder to replace him, to which my answer would be, if we do, then what were we doing sign all four of Noble, Husin, Patching and Crawford? Either they are good enough to step up sand replace O'Connor, or we've wasted money somewhere. We can't afford to have players we dare not use (like Hodge and Saunders), albeit we might rotate the younger ones to give them a breather from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by jackal2 View Post
    I would have liked him to stay, but I think Alan Hardy is right not to go beyond the wage structure he obviously thinks is reasonable. If O'Connor's heart isn't in being here, then he might as well go. The question is, do we need another midfielder to replace him, to which my answer would be, if we do, then what were we doing sign all four of Noble, Husin, Patching and Crawford? Either they are good enough to step up sand replace O'Connor, or we've wasted money somewhere. We can't afford to have players we dare not use (like Hodge and Saunders), albeit we might rotate the younger ones to give them a breather from time to time.
    So you could ask why were we offering him a contract anyway. Why were we waiting on him to be our 7th CM? Why wasn't he on the released list? Waiting on his answer, obviously AH and KN thought we needed that 7th midfielder.
    If Yates had been our player, he'd have been gone without hesitation. Looking at our season before and after Yates, we saw what difference it makes having a quality holding midfielder. Can Husin step up and play this role? There were some horrible games with him as one of 2 CMs. If KN is ready to go 4-3-3 then Hewitt/Husin/Noble looks OK to me, but we probably won't play like that.

Back to the question, IMO we do need another player for that role MO'C was going to play if he signed. On Patching and Crawford, I don't blame the club for taking a punt. If one of these signings ever has a break-out season, then Championship clubs are going to be waving 1 million in our direction (forget Hodge and Saunders I think they've got the profile and scouting right this time), which could make all the difference in propelling the club forward. There just aren't these prospects coming through the youth set up at the moment, so we have to get our lottery tickets elsewhere.
    Last edited by the_anticlough; 14-06-2018 at 05:27 AM.

The fact this thread has had so many responses suggests that whether we as fans like it or not we recognise the importance of an experienced midfielder signing. Whether that is O’Connor or more likely another, that remains to be seen.
    The fact remains IMO,who are going to be the leaders? Duffy is likely to be made captain, a fair few on here will implode if that happens. Brisley? Does he open his mouth?. Tootle? Do we want him to have the increased pressures of being THE leader? Stead or Allesandra? Many would hope these are warming the bench.
    Can any of the new lads step up? Have any of them captained in the football league in the past?
    These are serious questions that need to be asked...

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    The fact this thread has had so many responses suggests that whether we as fans like it or not we recognise the importance of an experienced midfielder signing. Whether that is O’Connor or more likely another, that remains to be seen.
    The fact remains IMO,who are going to be the leaders? Duffy is likely to be made captain, a fair few on here will implode if that happens. Brisley? Does he open his mouth?. Tootle? Do we want him to have the increased pressures of being THE leader? Stead or Allesandra? Many would hope these are warming the bench.
    Can any of the new lads step up? Have any of them captained in the football league in the past?
    These are serious questions that need to be asked...
    Hewitt? I've always thought a midfielder should be the capting.
    Noble? The bit of responsibility and authority could be just what he needs to bring him back to life.

Have any of these new lads ever worn the armband?

Duffy will be captain, there is no one else. Doesn't look like we have any more midfielders in the pipeline if you read between the lines in AH's Twitter posts. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bennett back and one more CB, other than that it looks like it will be a Hewitt/Noble/Husin mix up come the start of the season.

As much as I'm not overly fussed about O'Connor leaving, him staying would have provided some immediate structure to our plans for formation and playing style as him and Hewitt in the middle would have been our foundation, now we have too many questions to ask.

Noble was captain at FGR i think.

Quote Originally Posted by marshall55 View Post
    Noble was captain at FGR i think.
    There you go! Nine goals, muliple assists, member of National League team of the year, popular with me, cap'n of a promotion winning team - see that? CAPTAIN! Experience of captaincy is valuable.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast