+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: O'Connor turns down 2nd offer from Notts

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Can you explain to me how he deserves longer than a year pal? He was rubbish under Sheridan, missed most of this season and is yet to play 90 mins. He had a couple of decent cameos, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that a. He can play a full season on his dodgy knee and b. Whether he will be any good anyway. He is also 30.

Offering him a one year deal with incentives was absolutely the right thing to do. He needs to prove his fitness again. Lincoln are mugs for offering more. I applaud Notts for being sensible.
    Agree with most of that but he certainly wasn't rubbish under Sheridan. He always looked a good signing, but we never saw enough of him due to his injury. It's the way of the modern game unfortunately due to agents. They look for the best offer, advise the player to accept it and it's usually a done deal. Sad to see him go, but ultimately too many risks to stretch the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by KCNotts View Post
    Can you explain to me how he deserves longer than a year pal? He was rubbish under Sheridan, missed most of this season and is yet to play 90 mins. He had a couple of decent cameos, but there is no guarantee whatsoever that a. He can play a full season on his dodgy knee and b. Whether he will be any good anyway. He is also 30.

Offering him a one year deal with incentives was absolutely the right thing to do. He needs to prove his fitness again. Lincoln are mugs for offering more. I applaud Notts for being sensible.
    Right, pal. I never said he SHOULD get more or longer. I stated IF he is hoping for longer why is that so bad.
    Also, this whole being 30 *******s, is precisely that. I am not suggesting a squad full of over 30’s but we certainly need a couple in the side. Stead is not likely to be a starter, or is he? Look at the clubs that were promoted, all had players in the mid 30’s in central midfielder (I will take Leigh Curtis word for this)
    Last edited by Notts78; 12-06-2018 at 06:33 AM.

One of the main reasons we have struggled in recent years are older players on longer contracts chewing up the wage build and are are unable to offload them. I say get rid of O'Connor. Any more than a one year deal is a complete waste. Very happy to reinvest the wage in someone younger fitter and hopefully better. On a 1 year deal!

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Insurers can stump up money.
    They can't rehabilitate his knee, involve him in the coaching/scouting set up, pick him for games in the run-in and the play-off squad or decide to offer him a new contract even though he hasn't played 90 mins.
    Of course he must do what's right for him and his family, but IMO the above deserves a wee bit of weight in the decision (not enough to tip it maybe, in which case best of luck to him)
    Yes, that, but anyway, would he be insured? Something has to have a value to be insured, and he would not attract a fee if he were sold when under contract. You insure multi million pound players, not ones at this level, surely.

Quote Originally Posted by Bohinen View Post
    Yes, that, but anyway, would he be insured? Something has to have a value to be insured, and he would not attract a fee if he were sold when under contract. You insure multi million pound players, not ones at this level, surely.
    Accident/Injury insurance like any professional can get. Google for instance:
    https://www.totallysportsinsurance.c...jury-insurance

Quote Originally Posted by Old_pie View Post
    Accident/Injury insurance like any professional can get. Google for instance:
    https://www.totallysportsinsurance.c...jury-insurance
    I suspect the previous injuries would rule out cover for recurring, or related
    issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    I suspect the previous injuries would rule out cover for recurring, or related
    issues.
    I believe this is correct players are insured but if it is a previous injury either the rate is sky high or you get nothing if he picks up that injury again.

I believe that is the reason Liverpool pulled out of the Fekir transfer too so i'm guessing its the same for all footballers.

Reading between the lines I don't believe money is the issue for O'Connor it is the length of contract 1 year where he maybe getting a 2 year deal on the table from another club.

Quote Originally Posted by legs77 View Post
    I believe this is correct players are insured but if it is a previous injury either the rate is sky high or you get nothing if he picks up that injury again.

I believe that is the reason Liverpool pulled out of the Fekir transfer too so i'm guessing its the same for all footballers.

Reading between the lines I don't believe money is the issue for O'Connor it is the length of contract 1 year where he maybe getting a 2 year deal on the table from another club.
    I think he's worth a 2 year deal to be honest. By the end of it, would be likely to be a bit part player anyway if the two youngster crack on but his experience will be invaluable to their development

Wise medicine man he say 'Judge no man until you have walked from sunrise to moonrise in his moccasins.'

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Wise medicine man he say 'Judge no man until you have walked from sunrise to moonrise in his moccasins.'

That wouldn't be a fair judgement of his character, as he'll be well pished off when he finds out you pinched his moccasins.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast