+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: CBE for Boss of Network Rail

Quote Originally Posted by oldcolner View Post
    Rather Selective use of statistics so my selection
    1963 5 accidents 9 killed
    1964 6 accidents 10 killed
    1965 6 accidents 9 killed
    1967 6 accidents 71 killed 193 injured
    1968 6 accidents 22 killed 42 injured
    1969 5 accidents 15 killed 216 injured

Things went downhill after you left! Not many folk would consider this perfect or safe.
    Selective or not, there was just one serious accident in 1966, just 35 in the 7 years from 63-69, an average of just five a year. Have you the remotest idea of the extent of the rail system in the early 60s OC ? It was covering the country from end to end, god knows how many trains were running but let me give you an example.

When I started work at Accrington there were 7 platforms, a ticket office, a parcels office and a stationmasters office. The first train out was at 6 am to Manchester and they were the running virtually continuously for 18 hours to numerous destinations including even a train to London. We worked three shifts in the ticket office to cover all the services. Besides the passenger trains, there were parcels trains, goods trains which also ran through the night, empty stock movements, light engine movements, at weekends there were additional special trains to football matches or the west coast resorts, there were also special trains from all over Yorkshire heading to Blackpool, Morecambe, Southport coming through as well. And this is what it was like all over the country, it was manic, the railways were everywhere and thronged with trains, but just 5 serious accidents a year. Of course there were going to be accidents, do I really have to point this out, you surely are not so perverse as to claim there shouldn't be any ? But given the amount of traffic, the safety record was remarkable.

Today Accrington Railway Station has two platforms, what looks like a bus shelter, and a DMU trundles through every hour.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    Selective or not, there was just one serious accident in 1966, just 35 in the 7 years from 63-69, an average of just five a year. Have you the remotest idea of the extent of the rail system in the early 60s OC ? It was covering the country from end to end, god knows how many trains were running but let me give you an example.

When I started work at Accrington there were 7 platforms, a ticket office, a parcels office and a stationmasters office. The first train out was at 6 am to Manchester and they were the running virtually continuously for 18 hours to numerous destinations including even a train to London. We worked three shifts in the ticket office to cover all the services. Besides the passenger trains, there were parcels trains, goods trains which also ran through the night, empty stock movements, light engine movements, at weekends there were additional special trains to football matches or the west coast resorts, there were also special trains from all over Yorkshire heading to Blackpool, Morecambe, Southport coming through as well. And this is what it was like all over the country, it was manic, the railways were everywhere and thronged with trains, but just 5 serious accidents a year. Of course there were going to be accidents, do I really have to point this out, you surely are not so perverse as to claim there shouldn't be any ? But given the amount of traffic, the safety record was remarkable.

Today Accrington Railway Station has two platforms, what looks like a bus shelter, and a DMU trundles through every hour.
    I remember those days well sinkov, however, the salient point is ---did anybody receive a CBE for overseeing this?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    I remember those days well sinkov, however, the salient point is ---did anybody receive a CBE for overseeing this?
    They probably did Supersub, but it wasn't me, the Establishment were looking after their own back then as well, as the Jeremy Thorpe case proved.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Not sure but there was Lord Beeching! he got his for cutting services!

I actually wonder if Carne was getting a knighthood and the CBE was some agreed compromise? He would have been told a month ago the Queen was minded to give him an honour to see if he would accept.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    They probably did Supersub, but it wasn't me, the Establishment were looking after their own back then as well, as the Jeremy Thorpe case proved.
    Who is in your Establishment then! How does Carne fit in? Are you stuck in the 60s with Thorpe and 1966?
    Is everyone out to do you down? Are UFOs involved?
    Lol
    Last edited by oldcolner; 11-06-2018 at 12:04 PM.

I agree with Sinkov that British Rail ran a superb service back in the 50's and 60's.

My Dad worked on the railways (relief signalman) for 30 years until Beeching did for the Bury-Bacup line.

We actually lived on a railway station (Ewood Bridge) in the 60's until the line closed in the early 70's.

I can tell you that there was a great camaraderie and pride in the job in those days. and safety was absolutely paramount.

Trains were always on time, clean, and the staff was helpful and friendly. The various stations were spotless. The station masters made sure of that. There was also a prize for the best station every year which Summerseat always won.

The Beeching cuts were ruthless and badly handled. Take the bury-Bacup line for example. Bechings methodology was to pick just one random week. If the line made a profit in this week it was saved. If it didn't then it was axed. The worst possible week was chosen for Bury-Bacup. Practically every other week it would have made a profit - but a week was picked when the area was on holiday...so no commuters or kids going to school. in the event it made a small loss and was shut down.

The Beeching plan (working under the orders of the odious Sharples) led to a rapid decline in service levels for British Rail, poor staff morale and a much worse outcome for it's millions of users.

Not our greatest hour.

1959_60 ---Was it not Marples who was Transport Minister at the time and not Sharples?

Good spot Supersub! Yes, it was Ernest Marples.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)