+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Internet/ computery help

Internet/ computery help

Hi people. I need help, specifically, as well as in general.

I'm going to be in Finland for the upcoming world cup. I'll probably be able to get the games in a bar or on a random Finnish television, but my preferred method would be to watch them on my laptop on iPlayer and whatever the **** ITV one is called.....how?

I tried downloading something on my phone (to encrypt my ip?) a couple of times whilst I was away earlier in the year but to no success. My internet skills/ knowledge are minimal, so I guess I'm hoping one of you genius' (genie, genies ) can give me an idiot walk through of how to achieve my aforementioned goals

Oh yeah and we kicked ass last season, although I could only enjoy it from afar

Hi TMiller,

I've found it pretty tricky to ever manage anything like that on a phone, it seems to be much easier on a laptop.

What you'd want to do is download a VPN onto your laptop which lets you choose your IP Address, so you could set it to the UK, which would presumably bypass iPlayer and ITVPlayer. Unfortunately I don't have any specific recommendations for a VPN, but I'm sure some Millers on here have used one before.

If that fails, what you could do is download a Web Browser called Opera. When you load that in incognito mode, there's an option to use a built in VPN, where you just have to click a button to set your location to the UK. I haven't used it in a while, but it never failed me when I did need to use it

Quote Originally Posted by Jupjamie View Post
    Hi TMiller,

I've found it pretty tricky to ever manage anything like that on a phone, it seems to be much easier on a laptop.

What you'd want to do is download a VPN onto your laptop which lets you choose your IP Address, so you could set it to the UK, which would presumably bypass iPlayer and ITVPlayer. Unfortunately I don't have any specific recommendations for a VPN, but I'm sure some Millers on here have used one before.

If that fails, what you could do is download a Web Browser called Opera. When you load that in incognito mode, there's an option to use a built in VPN, where you just have to click a button to set your location to the UK. I haven't used it in a while, but it never failed me when I did need to use it
    Wow thanks a lot my friend. I will definitely give Opera a shot!

When I’m in China, as now, I use express vpn, which isn’t free but I use it off my partner, she use it all the time. There’s also 1 called Viper vpn from Golden Frog. There’s lots and they usually let you have 7 days free trial, so could use some of these back to back.

Good luck..

Im in Spain at the same time and Im usually locked out of both iPlayer and the ITV one due to location

Quote Originally Posted by gm_gm View Post
    Im in Spain at the same time and Im usually locked out of both iPlayer and the ITV one due to location
    I've just been to Italy and with Nord VPN was able to watch programmes on iPlayer and ITV's 'Hub'. Very easy to do so you shouldn't have a problem. Good luck.

I have a VPN running on my android tablet and it works perfectly. I use OpenVPN Connect which is the software (from the play store) and then you need a VPN connection which I pay for as part of my newshosting package. Someone mentioned Nord earlier which I think is reputable and pretty cheap per month as your VPN connection. Its just a case of putting your log on and server details into OpenVPN (remembering you want to connect to the UK based servers).

Should be good to go. You could test this in the UK by setting your server to be a Netherlands (for example) server and seeing if you can get onto iPlayer, which it shouldn't work. Then switching to the UK server and see if it then works.

Thanks guys I really appreciate you taking the time to help. I'm sure one of the above pieces of advice will solve the issue for me.