+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shaw Lane AFC: Yorkshire seventh-tier side resign from Evo-Stik League

Yep, very insular of barnsley fc if you ask me. That said, the majority of folk Ive spoken to at work (in barnsley) are sad to see shaw lane go. They liked the thought of barnsley having a prominent non league side. The ones who took a dislike to shaw lane did so mainly because of the owners allegiance to Sheff Wednesday.

There's blame on both sides I think.

Barnsley FC seem to think they own the name of the town and the Shaw Lane owner sounds like the kind of person who winds people up.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The notion that Barnsley FC wanted to ‘protect its brand’ makes no sense at all.

Which ‘brand’ is that? Was the fear that supporters would buy season tickets for the wrong club by mistake? I've not heard of that sort of thing happening in Bristol or Manchester.

I know nothing of the owner of Shaw Lane, but the notion of Barnsley ’protecting its brand’, smells of a big club choking its smaller neighbour to death from a fear of competition. Whether Barnsley has 131 years, 131 months or 131 weeks of history should have nothing to do with it.
    I think that there is a difference between a club calling itself, say "FC United of Manchester" and just "Manchester FC". I'm sure that a compromise could have been worked out re Shaw Lane new name , if their chairman had really wanted that

Putting a Rotherham slant on this, back in 1925 there were two professional clubs in Rotherham both with experience of league football and both bearing the towns name, I.e Rotherham County and Rotherham Town.

Both clubs had history going back to the 19th century, and then in 1925 they united to form Rotherham United FC. The rest, as they say, is history....

As an aside, ive often wondered whether I would have been a county or a town supporter. My hunch is county as they were the "north end" side of the town and played at Millmoor (Town were from Clifton Lane). And would I hate another club from my town? Who knows....

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Putting a Rotherham slant on this, back in 1925 there were two professional clubs in Rotherham both with experience of league football and both bearing the towns name, I.e Rotherham County and Rotherham Town.

Both clubs had history going back to the 19th century, and then in 1925 they united to form Rotherham United FC. The rest, as they say, is history....

As an aside, ive often wondered whether I would have been a county or a town supporter. My hunch is county as they were the "north end" side of the town and played at Millmoor (Town were from Clifton Lane). And would I hate another club from my town? Who knows....
    I would have probably supported Town as I am from near Badsley Moor Lane. Then again, I would have ended up picking the worst out of the two. If I was from Barcelona I would have ended up supporting Espanyol!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    I think that there is a difference between a club calling itself, say "FC United of Manchester" and just "Manchester FC". I'm sure that a compromise could have been worked out re Shaw Lane new name , if their chairman had really wanted that
    I thought you Labour types were supposed to stand up for the underdog?

The only difference between 'FC United of Manchester' and 'Manchester FC' is that one sounds a bit daft whilst the other sounds ok.

Manchester United have a worldwide brand that is known to many people for whom English is not their first language and I can understand whilst they might be defensive about a body calling themselves FC United of Manchester. Barnsley FC is not a worldwide brand and if it is true that they opposed a name change for Shaw Lane (presumably by threatening a 'passing off' court action) they need to take a long hard look at themselves.

My understanding is that Shaw Lane intended to change their name to Barnsley Town. I'm not sure how anyone who was actually interested in football in Barnsley was likely to be confused about such a name.

Why was it just down to the Shaw Lane chairman to compromise? Compromise generally requires all parties to give ground.

I don't think that residents of Barnsley would have been confused, but visiting teams and their fans, and match officials might have been.
    If "Barnsley Shaw Lane" (or similar) had been turned down as a name I would have some sympathy. Surely better for a new(ish) club to have a distinctive identity, and not a possibly confusing one?
    Last edited by mikemiller; 11-06-2018 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    The notion that Barnsley FC wanted to ‘protect its brand’ makes no sense at all.

Which ‘brand’ is that? Was the fear that supporters would buy season tickets for the wrong club by mistake? I've not heard of that sort of thing happening in Bristol or Manchester.

I know nothing of the owner of Shaw Lane, but the notion of Barnsley ’protecting its brand’, smells of a big club choking its smaller neighbour to death from a fear of competition. Whether Barnsley has 131 years, 131 months or 131 weeks of history should have nothing to do with it.
    BFC objected to Shaw Lane wanting to adopt the name Barnsley Town , they are allowed to object to such matters and the case was decided by an independent authority , the independent authority agreed with BFC and ruled in it's favour , are you suggesting BFC doesn't have the right to raise an objection ? or have you an issue with the independent authorities decision ? , I presume you don't take a jury to task when you lose a case do you ?

There was no choking to death , Shaw Lane didn't fold because it couldn't change it's name to Barnsley Town , there are a number of examples where clubs prosper without adopting the name of the town or city they compete in , Port Vale , Queens Park Rangers , St Johnstone and Celtic and Rangers .

It's a convenient out for Craig Wood and he's attempting to save face by using BFC as his exit strategy .

He's poured a million pounds of his own money in to a project that was flawed from the beginning , he laid down a challenge to BFC right from the start and BFC responded in kind and he lost .

If he'd have kept his mouth shut and his ego under control he might have found a willing partner in BFC who would have loaned him young players , helped him out with medical and training facilities and some pre season friendlies but he chose to take BFC on and he lost .

Simple as that , surprised you can't see it for what it is kerr to be honest .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 11-06-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    Yep, very insular of barnsley fc if you ask me. That said, the majority of folk Ive spoken to at work (in barnsley) are sad to see shaw lane go. They liked the thought of barnsley having a prominent non league side. The ones who took a dislike to shaw lane did so mainly because of the owners allegiance to Sheff Wednesday.
    Insular !!

The club have owners from 3 different country's , a french ceo and a german coach , the last one was portuguese .

I'm not suggesting what you say isn't true with the conversations you've had at work but I've personally not spoken to anyone who has a good word to say about Craig Wood and his club .

They aren't well liked in barnsley local football either , lots of ill feeling towards them with the way they've recruited players and I was amazed Athersley Rec let them share the ground given the bad blood between the two clubs , the team manager for many many years resigned on the spot when that decision was made .

Craig Wood was alright whilst he was pushing the little man around , he threw the gauntlet down to BFC and decided he'd take them on too , he clearly didn't like it when he came of the worst and took his little toy home with him .

As stated the only negativity towards shaw lane fc that ive encountered is the SWFC allegiance. It riled a couple of lads at work that they played in Wednesdays colours. I even know a couple of blokes (barnsley fans) who watched shaw lane play when barnsley were away.

We must move in different circles because, other than the owls grumbles, Ive heard no real dislike of shaw lane. The rugby club didnt mind them either.

A close friend of mine did a lot of utilities work with the shaw lane chap (when it was aquaforce) and he used to tell me about how obsessed he was with regards his football team. My mate predicted ages ago it would all collapse because, despite outside appearances, the money simply wasnt there. It was a house of cards.

Ps, yes I do think that Barnsley is insular. Ive worked there for 30 years and it can be very inward looking. Just my opinion, genuinely no offence meant.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast