+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shaw Lane AFC: Yorkshire seventh-tier side resign from Evo-Stik League

Shaw Lane AFC: Yorkshire seventh-tier side resign from Evo-Stik League

http://bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44420569

Some L1/2 clubs struggle so what hope is there for some non league

They won't be missed around my neck of the woods , could tell you some stories about how they got started and a very good local club they destroyed .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    They won't be missed around my neck of the woods , could tell you some stories about how they got started and a very good local club they destroyed .
    Shaw Lane Chairman was on Radio DeeDah Football Heaven a few days ago. He put the blame on Barnsley FC and the local council objecting to Shaw Lane wanting to change their name, but he never said what the proposed new name was.
    Barnsley Shaw Lane? or what? Anybody know?

We’ll leave at that then

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    Shaw Lane Chairman was on Radio DeeDah Football Heaven a few days ago. He put the blame on Barnsley FC and the local council objecting to Shaw Lane wanting to change their name, but he never said what the proposed new name was.
    Barnsley Shaw Lane? or what? Anybody know?
    They wanted to change to Barnsley Town and we objected due to wanting to protect our brand , the club have the right to do that in my opinion .

He said right from the start he was here to challenge BFC so it wasn't going to be met with anything other than hostility .

It's easy to laugh at their boast but then again Fleetwood Town started in similar fashion and ended up in league one , it's not impossible and we don't want another club in this town threatening our support .

They wanted to change to Barnsley Town and we objected due to wanting to protect our brand , the club have the right to do that in my opinion .

I understand the objections now - which the Shaw Lane Chairman avoided explaining (or Radio DeeDah reporter didn't ask!)
    As Oakwell is pretty close to the town centre, the proposed name probably would have caused confusion. Surely "Barnsley Shaw Lane", "Barnsley Athletic", "Barnsley Sheerien Park" or something like that would have been more sensible?
    Last edited by mikemiller; 10-06-2018 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikemiller View Post
    As Oakwell is pretty close to the town centre, the proposed name probably would have caused confusion. Surely "Barnsley Shaw Lane", "Barnsley Athletic", "Barnsley Sheerien Park" or something like that would have been ok?
    There's more to it than that mike as well , as Barnsley people we appreciate the success of Athersley Rec who play at a good level having started in the Barnsley Sunday League , they have a great little ground , Shaw Lane paid a rental to Rec last season to play there and hosted their FA cup tie against Mansfield Town at Sheerian Park , they've worked incredibly hard and BFC supports them wherever possible , pre season friendly and use of training and medical facilities if they need them .

Shaw Lane are another matter , the owners a complete dyck head mate who was all over twitter after we were relegated last month giving it the big one , he was told to make his first two summer signings bodyguards because he'll be needing them .

The penny's finally dropped mike and he's wound them up .

Good riddance I say .

As you can probably guess, I don't think that Athersley Rec were even mentioned in the Radio DeeDah interview
    Last edited by mikemiller; 10-06-2018 at 08:17 PM.

The shaw lane/aquaforce owner is an avid Wednesday fan. Hence the kit worn by shaw lane. Hes had a health scare recently and I believe has reassessed his priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by gkotw View Post
    The shaw lane/aquaforce owner is an avid Wednesday fan. Hence the kit worn by shaw lane. Hes had a health scare recently and I believe has reassessed his priorities.
    Pure coincidence that he was given an easy ride by Radio DeeDah then

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast