+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

View Poll Results: Who's going to win the world cup?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
Page 34 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

One thing I have noticed is that every time there is a VAR review of a penalty incident, the ref always gives the penalty. It's like he's afraid to disagree with the VAR who told him to review it.

Thats what I'm saying, how many penalties have been awarded in this tournament. It's ridiculous. I'm nothing counting and comparing with previous tourneys because it's obvious that there us a huge increase.

Quote Originally Posted by thebeachend View Post
    Thats what I'm saying, how many penalties have been awarded in this tournament. It's ridiculous. I'm nothing counting and comparing with previous tourneys because it's obvious that there us a huge increase.
    A few teething problems. Hope we have VAR when we next play Celtic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    That ref was an idiot, no way was that a pen for Iran. But don't blame VAR for that, it was the ref's fault for being a numpty.
    Exactly. VAR is supposed to make it easier for referees to catch things they missed, but it can't stop them making stupid decisions like this one if they don't know what they're doing.

20 so far & we’re only at the halfway mark.
    A record.
    Previous highest at the end of the tournament is 18.
    I’m all for the wrestling & grappling resulting in penalties.
    Refs who think the Iran penalty tonight was a penalty shouldn’t ever referee again. Simple.
    That’s not VAR.
    That’s just incompetence.

Quote Originally Posted by RedStarTorphins View Post
    20 so far & we’re only at the halfway mark.
    A record.
    Previous highest at the end of the tournament is 18.
    I’m all for the wrestling & grappling resulting in penalties.
    Refs who think the Iran penalty tonight was a penalty shouldn’t ever referee again. Simple.
    That’s not VAR.
    That’s just incompetence.
    It's pressure and its going to get a whole lot worse. Some like it, i think it's a shambles. Why did it ever go to VAR in the first place! It's not for me.

It's pressure and its going to get a whole lot worse. Some like it, i think it's a shambles. Why did it ever go to VAR in the first place! It's not for me.
    I genuinely think it was to cut out any official corruption. I think if the referee needs to look at it quite a few times like tonight then that says a lot about the standard of referee.

You can fix most of the problems with VAR if you just turn it into a challenge system - teams have say two challenges a game and they can call for a review (if they get two wrong that's it). At present what's basically happening is every time someone falls over at a corner half the team are making TV signs with their hands and the referee feels pressured into reviewing it. If you had formal challenges that would all disappear and it wouldn't disrupt the game as much (while still getting the big decisions correct more often than not).

Quote Originally Posted by sancho_panza View Post
    You can fix most of the problems with VAR if you just turn it into a challenge system - teams have say two challenges a game and they can call for a review (if they get two wrong that's it). At present what's basically happening is every time someone falls over at a corner half the team are making TV signs with their hands and the referee feels pressured into reviewing it. If you had formal challenges that would all disappear and it wouldn't disrupt the game as much (while still getting the big decisions correct more often than not).
    Spot on. Also challenges should be for agreed infringements. Eg penalties,red and yellow cards, mistaken indentity. Also, it should only be the captain that calls for var. This would activate the ref to check with the video ref on the infringement.

This is exactly the system that they use at the top level in hockey

Quote Originally Posted by LED View Post
    Spot on. Also challenges should be for agreed infringements. Eg penalties,red and yellow cards, mistaken indentity. Also, it should only be the captain that calls for var. This would activate the ref to check with the video ref on the infringement.
    And rather unsurprisingly it works. Each team gets one referral a game, use it wisely or lose it. Also there is the ability for the officials to refer decisions.

Looks to me though that FIFA have chucked all their eggs in this one basket and are determined to see it through. Last night showed everything that is right and wrong about VAR in a five minute period with the correct decision to award Spain's goal, and the wrong decision to award the Iran penalty. I'm also not convinced about Ronaldo's booking either.

Anyone think there was something slightly corrupt about it? If Iran had scored the big chance they had almost immediately after the penalty they would have won the group and played Russia in last 16.

Page 34 of 67 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast