Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red TV (UK)...pros and cons?

Red TV (UK)...pros and cons?

As a season ticket holder I'll be at most home games but have been missing the regular commentaries BBC Scotland/Northsound used to do for away days....what has people's experiences of Red TV been and how often, if ever do you get a live game other than commentary?

Quote Originally Posted by 64syrupofjarvie View Post
    As a season ticket holder I'll be at most home games but have been missing the regular commentaries BBC Scotland/Northsound used to do for away days....what has people's experiences of Red TV been and how often, if ever do you get a live game other than commentary?
    I like Red tv as I seldom get to games now and you get a red tinted commentary. You also get decent highlights, the whole game ( if its worth it after midnight). You also get reserve team highlights and so for buttons I think it's worthwhile. The club also gets money. If I was in your position - going to mostly home games - I would still buy it.

I am a ST holder and go to almost all of the home games, but have Red TV International as I travel quite a lot. When I am in the UK, it sort of reverts to Red TV UK.

The commentators can be quite annoying, but are true Reds. There is normally a guest commentator of an ex-Don or someone who is injured. One of my gripes is that it shuts down right on half-time and full-time with no analysis of the game (this could be a licensing issue, but I don’t think so).

As stated before, pretty good interviews and coverage of the young Dons. All in all, I would say it’s worth it for you if you can spare 60 odd quid.

just buy it...its worth it.
    Get International package and use a VPN.
    Job done.

Quote Originally Posted by DonVincenzo (The II) View Post
    just buy it...its worth it.
    Get International package and use a VPN.
    Job done.
    Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the way to go....can you have more than one user logging in.....the old man would enjoy it!
    PS....how do I get a VPN/ can you recommend any?

Thanks for all the feedback, looks like the way to go....can you have more than one user logging in.....the old man would enjoy it!
    PS....how do I get a VPN/ can you recommend any?
    You can download various VPN's on to whatever platform you are using (phone, tablet, laptop etc). You can find free ones but I found they are a bit of a hassle. I use IPVanish for about £8 a month. Easy to use, when you want to watch the RedTV international feed you load up the IPVanish app and select a country other than UK, you can then log in to RedTV and your computer will be basically be tricking it in to thinking you are watching from outside the country.

I use RedTV quite a lot. All home games are covered and the clubs usually work with each other now to show each others games. So any away game against a club who has it's own TV facilities will normally be shown.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    You can download various VPN's on to whatever platform you are using (phone, tablet, laptop etc). You can find free ones but I found they are a bit of a hassle. I use IPVanish for about £8 a month. Easy to use, when you want to watch the RedTV international feed you load up the IPVanish app and select a country other than UK, you can then log in to RedTV and your computer will be basically be tricking it in to thinking you are watching from outside the country.

I use RedTV quite a lot. All home games are covered and the clubs usually work with each other now to show each others games. So any away game against a club who has it's own TV facilities will normally be shown.
    Cheers min.... hopefully AFC read the feedback and look to improve the commentary!

Cheers min.... hopefully AFC read the feedback and look to improve the commentary!
    I like Red TV. I'm not based in the UK so have the International version so see most games live. The boys doing the commentary are nae great though - more biased than most Sooth Standers. Although it is funny to hear how biased other teams' own commentators are in games where the local commentators are used. The guest commentators are sometimes good, sometimes not. Adam Rooney is very good "oh, Johnny Hayes doesn't pay any attention to tactics, he just pleases himself. He's a bit like a dog in the park chasing a piece of paper blowing in the wind".

Just got an email....RedTV International now going up to Ä17 per month (£13).

Im still gonna subscribe but thats a fair price increase in the space of 1 season.
    They are promising even more matches than before and some new things...so we shall see.

Shaking the magic money tree

Just got an email....RedTV International now going up to Ä17 per month (£13).

Im still gonna subscribe but thats a fair price increase in the space of 1 season.
    They are promising even more matches than before and some new things...so we shall see.

Someone is going to have to pay for the Shuttle Bus Arena......its strange* that DNA or and this price increase was never introduced before to help the so called costs of staying at Pittodrie.

*Not strange at all when Milne is involved.

Heard someone say that the DNAírs abroad are going to be paying more for red tv this season than they were last season and thats with their discount

I hope it comes with a money back clause. I've jacked it, just not reliable. It was about 80 quid a year, quite a hike!

I think the email about the price rise would have been more palatable if it detailed the improvements they are planning, and why they will now be able to live stream more games.

I enjoy the service and will continue my subscription regardless. In percentage terms (40%) it's a pretty hefty sounding leap. But its only an extra £35 a year. The new annual cost is what I would drop getting to 2 games when I am home anyway. It's nae a huge amount considering how well used my account is. But I would feel short changed if I had joined AberDNA.

Quote Originally Posted by bpdon View Post
    I think the email about the price rise would have been more palatable if it detailed the improvements they are planning, and why they will now be able to live stream more games.

I enjoy the service and will continue my subscription regardless. In percentage terms (40%) it's a pretty hefty sounding leap. But its only an extra £35 a year. The new annual cost is what I would drop getting to 2 games when I am home anyway. It's nae a huge amount considering how well used my account is. But I would feel short changed if I had joined AberDNA.
    I was thinking of jacking it prior to the hike, due to my internet being utter shiite when i am out of the country. This has now confirmed it for me.
    No point in paying more money for something that doesn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pauldolski10 View Post
    Heard someone say that the DNA’rs abroad are going to be paying more for red tv this season than they were last season and thats with their discount
    Yes we are for sure...and not just that, but there is no payment options for international members, we have to pay the full €200 upfront if we want involved.

LAME

Yes we are for sure...and not just that, but there is no payment options for international members, we have to pay the full €200 upfront if we want involved.

LAME
    This will have been done to discourage the rampant VPN abuse by people who are actually located in the UK.

Itís the club that are telling fans they donít deserve to be at games. They canny grumble if they stream them

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    Itís the club that are telling fans they donít deserve to be at games. They canny grumble if they stream them
    Agreed. But on the rare occasion I can't go to a game, I'll be streaming by means other than RedTV.

There are plenty of decent options which are not blocked, if you have a decent ISP.

Plus you usually don't have to listen to the RedTV commentary, which is technically and stylistically awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason89 View Post
    The more streamed matches the better. My criticism of our performances may go up a level with better evidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast