+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Pre European Tour Trip to Cork

Quote Originally Posted by kkong View Post
    Wouldn't have happened anyway.

The game has been moved from St. Colman's Park to the Fota Island Resort training facility.

i.e. a pitch with no stands in the middle of the countryside.
    Well that's sh@te

Quote Originally Posted by neilthedon View Post
    See you in the Ground`s bar before the game then ? Or maybe the Rob Roy .

I`ll be trawling round Cork in the morning. Looking for Callahans. Said to be best pint of Murphys in town ?
    I'm 95% sure Callanans doesn't open until early evening, but the pints there are top notch. That said Beamish is better by my tastes than Murphys, but it's all good when it's not the dirty Dublin muck! Callanans is a nice old style pub, Rings board n'all. Easy to find too - over the bridge from Fredz and it's at your 11 o'clock, a ~30 second walk (I think there's scaffolding up over it or the place next door just now).

4.) Cork has two Breweries . and both their Stouts are better than guinness.
    No longer has two... The Original Beamish and Crawford Brewery has been shut down and production moved to the Murphys/Heineken Brewery... But in addition to that brewery there are 4 more I can think of in the city and 5 more in County Cork that I can think of.

If you want to try other Cork stouts, nowadays there is Shandon Stout (brewed by The Franciscan Well brewpub, Cork city centre, available elsewhere), Mi Daza (Rising Sons brewpub, Cork city centre, available in the other ~12 pubs owned by the same guy) and Lynch's Stout (Cotton Ball brewpub, based in crappy and out of the way part of town, but available elsewhere). I assume Elbow Lane brewpub has their own stout, but I've never been there to find out.

In Cork County there are breweries in Kinsale (Blacks of Kinsale), Mitchelstown (8° Brewing), Ballyvourney (9 White Deer), and Baltimore (West Cork Brewing Co.) There's one in Clonakilty too, but I dunno if their beers are on the market yet.

If you've any other queries about pubs in the city, feel free to ask (gimme an idea what you are looking for, brewpub, beer garden, fancy place etc). Most places with decent beer gardens will be jammed full

@NeilTheDon - If walking back to Travellodge, note that you'll want to take the slightly longer route that goes via Cork City's Turners Cross Stadium and Irish Independent Park (2nd home of Munster RFC) as that big straight road that head from the city centre to to the Travellodge beside the Magic Roundabout is not suitable/safe for walking (AFAIR most of it doesn't even have pavements, it's basically a dual carridgeway).

Also, as an aside, a reason prices are OTT at the moment is that there is a housing crisis here... Which means that there are many people living long term in hostels and other cheaper non-residental accommodation and scarcity drives the prices up (both for places to rent and temp visitor accommodation). Thankfully a couple of big hotels are in the process of being built.

Anyway, it's a nice day so I'm going to cycle over to Fota Island, see if they are training this afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Corcaigh_Don View Post
    @NeilTheDon - If walking back to Travellodge, note that you'll want to take the slightly longer route that goes via Cork City's Turners Cross Stadium and Irish Independent Park (2nd home of Munster RFC) as that big straight road that head from the city centre to to the Travellodge beside the Magic Roundabout is not suitable/safe for walking (AFAIR most of it doesn't even have pavements, it's basically a dual carridgeway).

Also, as an aside, a reason prices are OTT at the moment is that there is a housing crisis here... Which means that there are many people living long term in hostels and other cheaper non-residental accommodation and scarcity drives the prices up (both for places to rent and temp visitor accommodation). Thankfully a couple of big hotels are in the process of being built.

Anyway, it's a nice day so I'm going to cycle over to Fota Island, see if they are training this afternoon.
    Grand. Just docking in Dublin. COYR

Well that’s us just comin in t Dyce Neil, so see you in aboot 19 hours 😂

Grand. Just docking in Dublin. COYR
    neilthedon - now that you have a fancy new tablet we will be looking forward to your full report and pictures of the game.

So I checked out the pitch location on Fota today and found out why the venue was changed. Apparently the pitch at St Colemans in Cobh is too hard just now, hence the location change. For the best I guess, as the pitch has other issues too, though it'll slash Cobh attendance. Also, Cobh are playing away near Dublin tonight, so who knows what variety of youths we'll be playing against.

Dons posted this:
    https://www.afc.co.uk/2018/06/29/ven...this-saturday/

Your options for getting there are either:

A: Taxi to the R624 entrance to Fota Island Resort. From there its a 2 minute walk (to your 11 o'clock from the gate). AFC say its a €15-20 taxi. I'd say it'd be more like €20-25.

B: Train to Fota, followed by a... 40/45(?) min walk through woods on mostly tarmac roads/paths (I cycled, so am unsure of walking times). Lovely walk too tbh. As a bonus it goes past the back of the wildlife park, so you may see a tiger on your way as I did. Train costs ~€3 each way, and takes about 15 mins from Cork to Fota - ignore what AFC say about it being a tenner and taking half an hour as that is wrong.

It's going to be hot again tomorrow, so bear in mind that it's just private training fields so unless they set up something for drinks there the only option is the hotel which would take up most of half time to get there and back. But... I called them and the hotel said taking your own refreshments should be OK... we are asked not to bring our own booze...

Neil, revised arrival time in Cork of 11am now, missed the 7am bus t Cork that we were booked onto due to the ****witt of a ferry company delayin the sailin to put 2 scheduled trips together (no doubt due t the fact both were pretty quiet). Resulting in
    1, bein late for oor bus &
    2, a ferry that was much busier than it should’ve been!
    Got the 8am ane, and on oor way noo, so all’s good. How was last night?

Keness?? Ah'm nae gan but havin thoroughly enjoyed a few trips ower tae Ireland, Galway maistly, Ah feel 'left oot' .... and kinda jealous! .... nae lang noo guys .... oot yer beds an' heid first! tell the Rebublic Ah miss her, an' aye askin for her ... maist o' aa tho .... COYR .... and second - love this thread

1-0 dons so far forrester with his 1st dons goal

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast