+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is lg1 suited for Stendels tactics?

It doesn't matter what system the coach wants to adopt on the field of play because it boils down to the players capabilities .

Now in my mind a coach would come in , assess the players attributes and pick a system that suits their talents , in short making the best of what you have , something Warnock does extremely well .

Herr Daniel has put his cards on the table when he was interviewed , this is what I do and the club have hired him on the strength of that , this is what our fans want to see so go Herr Daniel say the club , hmmm !!!

The problem as I see it is that this system requires you to outscore the opposition in the respect that defending is not the priority .

It requires players with energy and high intensity , they need to be intelligent and know where to run and when , this doesn't sound like your average league one footballer in my opinion .

The dwarf tried this complicated game plan thing and lost 9 on the bounce , once the team went to simple 4-4-2 the rest as they say was history .

I don't want to knock the bloke because he's a credible coach who comes with a plan , I like a man with a plan but a one trick pony is a different matter .

The recruitment team have their work cut out to deliver the players that will enable this to work effectively and the coach has also got top weight on getting the ones already here up to speed with this system .

We seem to be driving all the way to Blackpool when our destination is only in west yorkshire .

It's outside the box I'll give them that but credible or not it's a higher gamble than it needed to be .

With two or three additions Grayson would pyss the top 6 with the present squad , no doubt in my mind .

That said you can't say it's boring and who can say how football will go , for all I know this is the perfect fit and we will attain 100 points , an equal amount of goals scored and win the league by 10 points .

Can’t disagree with anything you put there Animal, couple of things for thought to add:

Lincoln City play a version of this and with a very limited budget have been relatively successful with it, oddly they struggled more against lesser teams than top teams and teams above them in the league structure. Where Lincoln struggled was they had the big man upfront in Matt Rhead to get the ball to quickly and had the energy to support him quickly but lacked the quality to finish.
    Lots of good and bad things to pull out of above, i suppose what I’m trying to say is limited players can play the system with success, hopefully we will have some better quality to finish.

Secondly and perhaps the bigger point: At their press conference they said this was a long term project etc, perhaps they are looking at this as simple as, this is the style we want the club to play and are willing to accept it might take a couple of seasons to adapt (I have no doubt if possible they want to go up first attempt financially). Whereas fans we are looking at success next week/season)

Quote Originally Posted by lk311 View Post
    Can’t disagree with anything you put there Animal, couple of things for thought to add:

Lincoln City play a version of this and with a very limited budget have been relatively successful with it, oddly they struggled more against lesser teams than top teams and teams above them in the league structure. Where Lincoln struggled was they had the big man upfront in Matt Rhead to get the ball to quickly and had the energy to support him quickly but lacked the quality to finish.
    Lots of good and bad things to pull out of above, i suppose what I’m trying to say is limited players can play the system with success, hopefully we will have some better quality to finish.

Secondly and perhaps the bigger point: At their press conference they said this was a long term project etc, perhaps they are looking at this as simple as, this is the style we want the club to play and are willing to accept it might take a couple of seasons to adapt (I have no doubt if possible they want to go up first attempt financially). Whereas fans we are looking at success next week/season)
    Creating lots of chances is fine if you are converting a high percentage , it's the hardest job on the pitch and why good strikers come at a premium .

Now if you aren't converting and because of the system you are always likely to concede then you can have a problem , a big problem .

The history of football says a tight defence gives you more chance of success than a leaky one , you only have to score one goal to claim the points , rocket science it aint .

Remember Keegan's Newcastle in the 90's ? , great entertainment but they won feck all .

Klopp's Liverpool ? , tore Man City a new one twice but who won the league ?

Klopp's Liverpool were perfectly fine against the teams who came out to play , not so good against the Swansea's , Stoke and WBA who they all dropped points to .

Interesting that the club is Stats Based but ignores the fact 29 of the last 30 clubs who won promotion from league one had brits in the technical area and nobody wins owt without a tight defence .

Animals verdict .

The club are more interested in accumulating cash through player sales than success on the field , it's carefully hidden within the statements but it's as clear as the nose on your face in my honest opinion .
    Last edited by animallittle3; 13-06-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Well I thought cavare, mcgeehan, Mallan, Lyndsey, Potts, fryers, Isgrove, McCarthy, pinnock, friars and Moore were good signings at the time, they just weren’t up to the level of the championship yet(by 1 goal).
    I think Moncur, Bradshaw, Davies and Walton are very good championship players.
    Not sure about thiam and pinnilos.
    Along with hedges and victor I’d like to see another couple knocking on the door of the first team.
    Having said that, with the potential money from Mawson and knassmulner coming in and another bit of trimming, I can’t see why we can’t add 3xquality players plus 2 more quality loans out of our price range to form a strong squad in depth for this league.
    I’m optimistic for next season if the coach can get them up and at it every game we should have enough to do well

Managed to mention fryers twice and spell his name differently. Need more sleep

In L1, the defenders are less likely to be ball players than their Championship counterparts - a high pressing game will expose their relative lack of ball skills, forcing mistakes - if they lug it upfield, we showed that we were more than capable of dealing with any aerial threat! Our players need to be fit enough (not just leave it to Moore) to do this. In the past, when we've held back, we've made opposition teams look like Barcelona- get among them & we will be successful

Get stuck in ya big Jessie.

(Extract from SB Coaching Manual 1968)
    Last edited by SBRed48; 13-06-2018 at 03:00 PM.

I think we're all making too much of this gegenpress. What's saying Stendel won't be a one trick pony and he's studying league 1 and other ways of playing as we speak? There's more than one way of playing against a number of opposition. If you're playing one of the bottom teams at home you're going to play a more fluid system and tactics. If you're playing a top team away you're going to play a tighter system. There shouldn't be a set way off playing. It should be relative. That isn't being too respectful of the better opposition or arrogant against the poorer teams either. This gegenpress for me isn't so much what you do with the ball its a system off the ball.

I can't see too much of a wholesale change other than we'll press like we used to do under Flicker, Johnson and Hecky until they started to reinvent the wheel.

As hes German, Im hoping Stendel is going to be like a BMW rather than a dud VW Beetle!. And theres every chance that he will indeed have a few ideas up his sleeve.
    Im more optimistic than I was the last time we dropped down to this league, put it that way.

It's going to take more than this "gegen press" to get out of this league. We need to be streetwise, something we lacked at an embarrassing level last season. We are too nice, all too often letting the opposition dictate the officials for example.

In terms of players capabilities, we are carrying too many players not up to the task and are not going to develop their game any further I.E Brad Potts.

Automatic promotion hopes is just pie in the sky at present in my opinion. We will do well not to finish lower than 10th.

Again, happy to be proved wrong.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast