+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is lg1 suited for Stendels tactics?

Is lg1 suited for Stendels tactics?

We've been here afooar wi Tom ent we. I'm not suggesting Daniel and Tom are the same, far from it. I'm just trying to use Tom to get my point across. We all knew that Tom was over thinking things which sent us to our lowest ebb in many a year, 8 straight defeats. Tom's tactics were complicated and confused some of our players which
    stifled them in my opinion. I always felt Tom's tactics were more suited to a higher level of football than lg1.

Now we are back in lg1 and have a German coach with a vision and an unfamiliar strategy which will take our players time to grasp I feel. I like the idea of high pressing, energy and fitness, every player knowing their role coupled with the methodology of a German HC. It sounds good but let's remember that this is lg1 where the standard isn't great.

Now then, with all due respect to our players I ask, are they able to adapt to this style quicky enough to gain the necessary results and meet the remit of promotion set by the board? I think its a tall order personally.

Not only that but there is the opposition to take into account too at lg1 level. Having watched a fair few lg1 games last season the quality was poor and they certainly don't play much football. The ball spends more time in the air than it does on the floor. The main concern for me is how do we press that kind of style?

The teams generally use an out ball to their strikers most of the time who try to hold it up. If we press high and allow the opposition the escape ball then we are suddenly on the back foot and vulnerable because it's their type of game, its what they're about and what they are used to playing. We may be punished.

The high press will probably work against Rochdale or any other lg1 team that actually tries playing from the back. We press them high and force a long ball where they have no lump to try and hit which means we get it back and go again. Trouble for me is that there's too many teams that don't play football from the back and that is why I question the tactics in this division.

Herr Stendel will have enough on trying to make our players adapt to his style in the early weeks of the season. Unless our lads take to Stendels new ideas like a duck does to water then we may see some poor results at first.

I'm glad Bobby Hassle is involved because his knowledge of lg1 is there and could prove the difference for our new HC. It means he's not walking into this completely blind thank fuq.

In my humble opinion I think it takes a hard working and organised team to get out of this division, a team that keeps it's shape and keeps it simple. Shrewsbury weren't blessed with huge amounts of skill but they had a solid shape and team ethic which can take you a long way at this level. I have my doubts about high pressing systems at this level. In the championship fine but lg1 concerns me.

Am not trying to slate the new guy here or get on his back at all. I'm totally behind him. I'm just expressing my opinion. What's your thoughts guys?

Good topic pass n move , just setting off for work so I'll give my opinion later tonight .

I agree Pass. A mentioned it a day or two back that if we ev three or four players pressing high up their heyf and "the press" fails ie they get the ball art then we become artnumbered in midfield and defence. Tha reyt in that Third Division sides are mooar likely to lump it forrad quickly rather than try to play it art from the back thereby by passing the "high press".
    We'll need a Scowen and a Perkins running abart in midfield brekking up play and big centre heyves to combat the opposition big donkeys up front.

The German will sooart it.
    Last edited by SBRed48; 12-06-2018 at 01:01 PM.

You can wish to play a certain way but are the players capable is another thing .

I doubt it

Good OP.

To add to the debate, we (Millers) played the high press last season and were promoted (albeit via the lottery of the play offs). So it can be successful in L1. That said, our main weapon was fitness. Paul Warne, a fitness fanatic, took the team on a pre season tour of Austria. Early morning hill runs etc.

You'll be surprised by how good some of the attacking play is in L1, but the flip is how poor the defending can be. Consistency is an issue for L1 sides. Most have decent starting 11s but thin squads. So a couple of injuries/suspensions hits the clubs hard. There's usually a few unpolished diamonds on loan from championship/premier lg clubs and youll be frustrated they didn't come to your club. One year in league 2 we lost in the play offs to Dagenham but in reality we lost to west hams under 23s.

Oh, and some of the away support is woeful.

Yes we saw the good and the extremely bad of Lg One a few years ago, and we weren't up for it enough and weren't good enough at first under Wilson.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yes we saw the good and the extremely bad of Lg One a few years ago, and we weren't up for it enough and weren't good enough at first under Wilson.
    You make a valid point acido, I.e. about being up for it. The L1 teams are very well organised in general and you have to put a shift in to beat them. An attitude of just turning up to win will, in my opinion, lead to a rude awakening.

And hopefully Stendel will put that to them, that they need to be professional against every team in this league. And not think that simply turning up will be enough for the 'result'.
    If he is going to want to make these big changes in players, tactics, formations, and even fitness & attitudes, then its not going to happen overnight and we're going to have to be patient.

I'm expecting a at least 3-4 new midfielders incoming if we are expecting to emulate the "Gegen press" tactics.

Unfortunately at this stage i can only see this ending in disaster. I really think we should have gone down the experienced route rather than the unknown in Stendal. Happy to be proved wrong..

Disater written all over it, we needed a tried and tested League 1 coach who knows what this division is about! Not someone who is "doing his league 1 homework" and has told the world the tactics we will play.
    Hopefully we will catch a few out early doors before they switch on and realise that if they let us run about for 45 minutes they can batter us in the second half because we have run out of steam.
    I really hope i'm wrong, however we are Barnsley not Liverpool or Man City so chances are I'm right.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast