+ Visit Queen of the South FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Bus idea

Bus idea

From Queens supporter Richie Nicoll

Before I put some real focus and push on this one I’d like some genuine feedback. My mate is a Leicester Tigers fan living in the sticks. They have a couple of buses doing circular collections and drop offs throughout the region which enables those in rural communities to get to the games.

I’d love to see us have something similar where we’d have a bus doing an eastern circular round the Dalbeattie/CD/Coastal side and a Western Route through your Annan’s/Lochmaben/Lockerbie side for example. As tight as everything is due to dwindling support, I don’t foresee the club putting anything towards it so my thought process would be to put it out there for companies to sponsor fuel or driver wages with a nominal fee coming from the traveller on top of their ticket. Or even look at £X for ticket, Travel and a pint in the bar on arrival. Buses would get to Palmerston for 1400, drop off at the bar and again depart from the bar at 1730/1800 after a post game pint....

If we could get a local bus company involved and then sponsorship for fuel and driver then I firmly believe it would work a treat and could grow with the end result obviously to increase the gates. As a company owner I’d be more than happy to get involved through sponsorship with a shout out on the tannoy or in the programme.

I do think it may be a pipe dream but if there was a demand from you guys that live on the outskirts, with a bit of a nudge the ‘Doonhame Circular’ could take off 🤞🏼

Thoughts Folks?

Sounds like worth following up at least...

Quote Originally Posted by palmylad View Post
    From Queens supporter Richie Nicoll

Before I put some real focus and push on this one I’d like some genuine feedback. My mate is a Leicester Tigers fan living in the sticks. They have a couple of buses doing circular collections and drop offs throughout the region which enables those in rural communities to get to the games.

I’d love to see us have something similar where we’d have a bus doing an eastern circular round the Dalbeattie/CD/Coastal side and a Western Route through your Annan’s/Lochmaben/Lockerbie side for example. As tight as everything is due to dwindling support, I don’t foresee the club putting anything towards it so my thought process would be to put it out there for companies to sponsor fuel or driver wages with a nominal fee coming from the traveller on top of their ticket. Or even look at £X for ticket, Travel and a pint in the bar on arrival. Buses would get to Palmerston for 1400, drop off at the bar and again depart from the bar at 1730/1800 after a post game pint....

If we could get a local bus company involved and then sponsorship for fuel and driver then I firmly believe it would work a treat and could grow with the end result obviously to increase the gates. As a company owner I’d be more than happy to get involved through sponsorship with a shout out on the tannoy or in the programme.

I do think it may be a pipe dream but if there was a demand from you guys that live on the outskirts, with a bit of a nudge the ‘Doonhame Circular’ could take off ����

Thoughts Folks?
    Interesting idea but how many would use it ? I for one would use it. Maybe we got get a sponsor.

Quote Originally Posted by QOS_MAD_ADMIN View Post
    Interesting idea but how many would use it ? I for one would use it. Maybe we got get a sponsor.

i think you will defo get the existing fans that travel from outside the town ,but for attracting new fans well it will prob need to be free travel queens bus ,then you should get a few more ,got to eliminate the price of travel from these towns to palmy to get more fans from these towns .

Quote Originally Posted by Francis_begbie_HFC View Post
    i think you will defo get the existing fans that travel from outside the town ,but for attracting new fans well it will prob need to be free travel queens bus ,then you should get a few more ,got to eliminate the price of travel from these towns to palmy to get more fans from these towns .
    An interesting and innovative idea from Richie but in these modern times and the current apathy surrounding Queens I personally don't think it would work. Many, many years ago when the Doonhamers had 10 - plus supporters clubs in the surrounding towns and villages this would have been a great idea but most people have cars now and imo opinion the
    only way to get more punters through the turnstiles is to have a team at least challenging for a top 4 place in the league
    which this coming season is going to be a huge challenge as most of the clubs in situ are far bigger and have more fans and resources than Queens.

Quote Originally Posted by Ftivano1 View Post
    An interesting and innovative idea from Richie but in these modern times and the current apathy surrounding Queens I personally don't think it would work. Many, many years ago when the Doonhamers had 10 - plus supporters clubs in the surrounding towns and villages this would have been a great idea but most people have cars now and imo opinion the
    only way to get more punters through the turnstiles is to have a team at least challenging for a top 4 place in the league
    which this coming season is going to be a huge challenge as most of the clubs in situ are far bigger and have more fans and resources than Queens.

i think even challenging for a top 4 place wont be enough nowadays ,as we have in recent years been challenging for top 4 but the crowds have stayed on a downwards spiral ,for the money it costs to watch an average championship team has gone way beyond the worth of the performances we get ,so now the floating fans have more or less turned to glory hunter types due to the high prices of attending matches at palmy ,so i think we are stuck with what we have only way these floaters will return if we are a strong skillful looking team challenging to win things ,it will take something queens cant afford to get them attending .when i say high prices i know queens are prob the lowest price in the league but 16 quid is still far too high for the floating fans to part with .
    Last edited by Francis_begbie_HFC; 19-06-2018 at 02:12 AM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)