+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Our dissapearing high street

I’ve never got over losing Woolworths
    😢

most of my sales are generated through the web

my matress cleaning buisness isnt

but the double glazing the majority is

and also the amount of people buying on crdit is alarming

we offer finance for people to buy their windows doors etc

and we do over 60% sales this way

i can see a massive credit crisis looming

and then we will al bee using charity shops and sports direct

Quote Originally Posted by Sclox View Post
    This might be one for Ghosts conspiracy theories. Every high street in the country looks the same with the same tiday with chains of stores selling the same stuff. I like unique, niche shops owned by small business people but these are disappearing slowly. Online is killing them with the only seemingly growing industry these days being delivery vans with drivers from easterm Europe being exploited by hauliers and getting paid buttons. Its true, it feels like councils are trying to discourage shoppers, a historically thriving shopping road near me used to have 5 banks on it and many interesting shops. Now it has no banks, is covered with double yellow lines, parking meters where you are allowed to park. These days it contains mostly offies, bookmakers, poundshops and hot food takeaways from the 4 corners of the empire - even the pound shops are struggling. Sad really.
    blame the out of town shopping centrs
    and the lack of parking as the councills etc try and keep cars from the city centres due tio supposed pollution

trouble is those cars carry shoppers

buses are for people with less money who cant afford cars and when was the last time you witnessed a family laden with john lewis bags getting on the number 63

Quote Originally Posted by tooslomofo View Post
    😢
    I'll never get over Macho Grande.

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    most of my sales are generated through the web

my matress cleaning buisness isnt

but the double glazing the majority is

and also the amount of people buying on crdit is alarming

we offer finance for people to buy their windows doors etc

and we do over 60% sales this way

i can see a massive credit crisis looming

and then we will al bee using charity shops and sports direct
    There can't be a credit crisis ya daft lad..You voted Brexit...Howay everyone.."LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY!!!!"

It's the same world wide now, the internet has killed not only small stores but over here just about all of the major stores are gone, the only places left are Walmart et al and they have boosted their prices 'cause they're the only game in town. I tend to shop over the border as they still have quite a few big stores still going and their prices are better. I shouldn't complain though as I spend a fair amount on Amazon so I suppose I'm part of the problem.

😢
    Found a fiver in Woolies in Ashington when I was eight'sh,me Mam handed it in to the office.We got it back weeks later when nobody claimed it..Me Mam bought me a quarter of Lions Midget Gems...

��
    Aye - those were the days.

When we lost Woolworths it killed that end of the precinct for years until Poundland moved in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannylad View Post
    It's the same world wide now, the internet has killed not only small stores but over here just about all of the major stores are gone, the only places left are Walmart et al and they have boosted their prices 'cause they're the only game in town. I tend to shop over the border as they still have quite a few big stores still going and their prices are better. I shouldn't complain though as I spend a fair amount on Amazon so I suppose I'm part of the problem.
    Aye - I like to buy my books from one of our local independent bookshops but when amazon is so much cheaper and can get it to me next day. . . tough call.

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    There can't be a credit crisis ya daft lad..You voted Brexit...Howay everyone.."LAND OF HOPE AND GLORY!!!!"
    i did vote brexit

and stand by it

and what will be will be

we can either make it work
    or sit back and bleat and wait for the sky to fall in

get migrant immigrants out

shut the borders to unskilled and un trained labour

make it compulsary for every youth not at school ofr further education or in full time emplyment to do a training/ apprentice

make any company employing more than 10 people take on a trainee or apprentice partly funded by the govt

stop all non urgent treatments on the nhs ,make people take out insurance to cover other treatments anyone on a low wage will get this part funded

put the same tariffs on goods brought in to theis country as we are charged to export to theirs

stop the over seas fund and use this for creation of export /trade deals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)