+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT Our dissapearing high street

OT Our dissapearing high street

We will have to get our act together and create more charities,save our high street..
    Save Sunderland has a ring to it..
    Oh well I'm sure when Brexit kicks in all of the shops will re-open and everything will be rosy..
    Land of hope and glory and all that...
    Anyone with any funds worth talking about,get them under the bed cos we are fu cked..
    I'm not bothered personally but I do worry for my kids and grand kids..

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    We will have to get our act together and create more charities,save our high street..
    Save Sunderland has a ring to it..
    Oh well I'm sure when Brexit kicks in all of the shops will re-open and everything will be rosy..
    Land of hope and glory and all that...
    Anyone with any funds worth talking about,get them under the bed cos we are fu cked..
    I'm not bothered personally but I do worry for my kids and grand kids..
    Blame a combination of Amazon and laziness.

Although, on a related note, it was good to see John Lewis deciding to keep the Eldon Square branch open (and the Metro centre one too). I think we've passed the peak for the 'high street' because of online shopping but as Newcastle is apparently the 5th best 'retail location' in the country I don't think the slump in 'real' shopping will hit us as hard as it will other areas.

I cannot blame anybody for shopping online or in supermarkets....

I have lost count of the number of fines I have had because Wor lass spends more than 3 hours on a high street or in a shopping park.

What is the point of offering free parking if you cannot browse the shops, stop for a coffee, do a bit more shopping, bite of lunch etc. Her and her mam like to do these things when they get together (they live 170 miles apart)

If you do manage to avoid the parking fines, you will probably stray into a bus lane and either spend 20 minutes in static traffic, or jave to keep your eyes peeled for speed cameras...

The councils are chasing shoppers away from the streets by making it an almost impossible pastime.

New look are in trouble as has been revealed today,interestingly their online sales are down more than their shops..
    Were doomed ah tell yee...
    Wonder how long until the sports shops are fu cked...

My local high street is now basically coffee shops, turkish barbers and charity shops.

Quote Originally Posted by waalsendmick View Post
    I cannot blame anybody for shopping online or in supermarkets....

I have lost count of the number of fines I have had because Wor lass spends more than 3 hours on a high street or in a shopping park.

What is the point of offering free parking if you cannot browse the shops, stop for a coffee, do a bit more shopping, bite of lunch etc. Her and her mam like to do these things when they get together (they live 170 miles apart)

If you do manage to avoid the parking fines, you will probably stray into a bus lane and either spend 20 minutes in static traffic, or jave to keep your eyes peeled for speed cameras...

The councils are chasing shoppers away from the streets by making it an almost impossible pastime.
    That's a good point actually, Mick. As far as cars go, Newcastle City Council are the biggest bunch of incompetent/scheming bastards going. They're determined to force cars out of the city centre by creating as many snarl-ups and choke points as possible (to deliberately increase pollution to levels where they can say it justifies a congestion charge) then say 'oh. come and park for free after 5'????

Wankers.

Quote Originally Posted by ashingtoon62 View Post
    New look are in trouble as has been revealed today,interestingly their online sales are down more than their shops..
    Were doomed ah tell yee...
    Wonder how long until the sports shops are fu cked...
    That would be a turn up for the good, then he'd have to sell out at a reasonable price.

This might be one for Ghosts conspiracy theories. Every high street in the country looks the same with the same tiday with chains of stores selling the same stuff. I like unique, niche shops owned by small business people but these are disappearing slowly. Online is killing them with the only seemingly growing industry these days being delivery vans with drivers from easterm Europe being exploited by hauliers and getting paid buttons. Its true, it feels like councils are trying to discourage shoppers, a historically thriving shopping road near me used to have 5 banks on it and many interesting shops. Now it has no banks, is covered with double yellow lines, parking meters where you are allowed to park. These days it contains mostly offies, bookmakers, poundshops and hot food takeaways from the 4 corners of the empire - even the pound shops are struggling. Sad really.

Whats this all about Ash? Trying to turn us all into discerning shoppers in the off season?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)