+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Notts city & county slang

All round Lambley to get to Carlton - You have taken the long route
    All gone like Tommy Seals shovel - It's been stolen

Shurrup – Would you please be quiet
    Ghee ovver – Would you please stop
    Taitered – Rather tired
    Wobbie - Wasp

Sucker - Ice lolly

Quote Originally Posted by Wedgie_pie View Post
    say it to the kids when they hurt themselves
    or when they ott themsens

It's not just about vocabulary Sid, it's how it's spoken. In Notts case, it's about barely opening your mouth and talking in low tones to make yourself sound hard (and thick).

I'm not even sure it's a natural accent, people talk in a Notts accent like some kind of club where only those who talk that way are accepted. I came up from Hertfordshire aged 7 and immediately got taken the piss taken for barth, glarss etc so I learned to use the short a very quickly.
    Last edited by Bohinen; 13-06-2018 at 09:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LaughingMagpie View Post
    Don't even go there!

Cobs are cobs!
    Ahh, the oft used starter for mass office arguments up here in the North East

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I was always told to 'dab in' as a child when we were in a rush. Anyone else remember that phrase?
    I still use it. My dad said it a lot and was also fond of telling me to 'wind my neck in' as well.
    I occasionally use 'wind your neck in' and I doubt anyone knows what I'm on about.

A lot of them don't register as exclusive to this area because you don't know any different. I mean, "A sucker from the ice cream van", surely everybody calls them that don't they? That's what it is! A sucker! My grandparents used to tell me to "bobbars" if I was playing near the fire or something sharp and they always called the pavement the "corsey", but I thought that was just an old people thing.

Some excellent stuff on here. I use Noo-arkese myself - you never say 'new' always noo.
    'There's no accounting for folk'
    There used to be a long distance runner named Pant Chapman who became a local legend, scaring people silly as he came up behind them on his training runs in the dark. 'You sound like Pant'.
    That 'ou' sound (as in County) is pronounced more like 'Carn-tee') In Hull they can't say 'don't know', it comes out as 'durnt nur'
    Another Notts -ism is 'slorming'. My dad was always yelling me off for 'slorming' which basically was performing tired antics on the furniture because you didn't know what to do with yourself.
    Also 'stop go-shee Marlowing' or 'you're just like Go-shee Marlow. Which meant you were hanging around without a clue and getting in the way. Who Go-shee Marlow was I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    A lot of them don't register as exclusive to this area because you don't know any different. I mean, "A sucker from the ice cream van", surely everybody calls them that don't they? That's what it is! A sucker! My grandparents used to tell me to "bobbars" if I was playing near the fire or something sharp and they always called the pavement the "corsey", but I thought that was just an old people thing.
    I've never heard an ice lolly referred to as a 'sucker' anywhere except Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    That 'ou' sound (as in County) is pronounced more like 'Carn-tee')
    Spelling it "Carn-tee" makes it looks as though it would rhyme with "Barn tea". For Nottingham speak it's hard to convey in letters, the 2nd syllable would be "Eh" with a hard 'E' effectively replacing any hint of a 't' sound. The first part is more like "Can" than "Carn" but with the 'a' sound extended, resonating at the upper back end of the throat, you almost go into a grin to get that part out.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast