+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: OT: Notts city & county slang

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    A pedestrian walkway between adjoining streets was always a jitty, wasn’t it?
    👍

Quote Originally Posted by navypie View Post
    He'll eat your pies
    He'll tell you lies
    You wouldn't believe the fat *******s size
    To the sound of Blockbuster by Sweet ... another band I saw several times and still can’t remember it!

To the sound of Blockbuster by Sweet ... another band I saw several times and still can’t remember it!
    Cut from the same cloth .

A pedestrian walkway between adjoining streets was always a jitty, wasn’t it?
    Plenty of stuff on the web to back me up on twitchell.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...k-guide-169790
    https://nottinghamcityofliterature.c...gham-twitchell

Before moving to Hyson Green, I spent my early days in Radford opposite the old gasometers between Canterbury and Kennington Roads, and it was all twichells back then

Quote Originally Posted by 51Magpie View Post
    When it was raining really hard, as in a cloudburst, my mother used to say it was 'siling down' (rhyming with filing). Anyone else heard that? She also used to tell me off for slorming if I was not sitting properly on the settee but draping myself across it (Sidders already reminded me of that one).

If I didn't take a warning seriously, the final warning was that I'd soon be laughing on the other side of my face. Never quite figured that one out...

Someone mentioned 'twitchel', for a little short-cut footpath. I also remember them being called ginnels (probably as a corruption of gunwales).
    I still say siling down and use twitchell too. Up in Yorks it was always a ginnel though.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I still say siling down and use twitchell too. Up in Yorks it was always a ginnel though.
    Whole Oxford dictionary webpage just on alleyways! including ginnel

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/...ords-alleyway/

For twitchell it says

The east Midlands was the heartland of the twitchel: the word’s connection with this area seems to go back at least to the 15th century, when it is recorded in Nottingham. Twitchel seems ultimately to be a variant (with a different suffix) of the Old English word twicen, a word used in Anglo-Saxon charters for a place where two roads meet which may be related to twitten, the local word for an alleyway in Sus***.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Some excellent stuff on here. I use Noo-arkese myself - you never say 'new' always noo.
    'There's no accounting for folk'
    There used to be a long distance runner named Pant Chapman who became a local legend, scaring people silly as he came up behind them on his training runs in the dark. 'You sound like Pant'.
    That 'ou' sound (as in County) is pronounced more like 'Carn-tee') In Hull they can't say 'don't know', it comes out as 'durnt nur'
    Another Notts -ism is 'slorming'. My dad was always yelling me off for 'slorming' which basically was performing tired antics on the furniture because you didn't know what to do with yourself.
    Also 'stop go-shee Marlowing' or 'you're just like Go-shee Marlow. Which meant you were hanging around without a clue and getting in the way. Who Go-shee Marlow was I have no idea.
    One of the strangest descriptions in the Newark area is "Ode boy" viz........... Referring to a person's son as their 'ode boy' irrespective of their age, be it a new born or an adult. You will have heard this many times Sidney.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Whole Oxford dictionary webpage just on alleyways! including ginnel

https://blog.oxforddictionaries.com/...ords-alleyway/

For twitchell it says

The east Midlands was the heartland of the twitchel: the word’s connection with this area seems to go back at least to the 15th century, when it is recorded in Nottingham. Twitchel seems ultimately to be a variant (with a different suffix) of the Old English word twicen, a word used in Anglo-Saxon charters for a place where two roads meet which may be related to twitten, the local word for an alleyway in Sus***.
    When I was at school (Ellis Guilford), the alley that round down the side of Saxby's was always the 'twitchel' whereas my family in Yorkshire would always say 'ginnel' so I never associated that word with Notts.

Quote Originally Posted by the_anticlough View Post
    Plenty of stuff on the web to back me up on twitchell.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...k-guide-169790
    https://nottinghamcityofliterature.c...gham-twitchell

Before moving to Hyson Green, I spent my early days in Radford opposite the old gasometers between Canterbury and Kennington Roads, and it was all twichells back then
    It was a twitchell in Carlton

Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    When I was at school (Ellis Guilford), the alley that round down the side of Saxby's was always the 'twitchel'
    I worked at W E Saxby during the 1976 heat wave. On Friday the brickie and I would climb over the wall into that twitchell and go to the Newcastle Arms at the bottom of Basford Road. Climbing back over the wall after several pints was always more difficult than our 'escape'.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast