+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Notts city & county slang

Quote Originally Posted by dam617 View Post
    I still use it. My dad said it a lot and was also fond of telling me to 'wind my neck in' as well.
    I occasionally use 'wind your neck in' and I doubt anyone knows what I'm on about.
    Both "dab in" & "wind your neck in" are still used fairly often I think, does anyone else remember when you asked what was for dinner or tea being told "**** with sugar onnit" or was this just a Netho saying ? also the 2 questions that you immediately knew were about football, "did ya goo dahn" or " are ya goowin dahn".

Quote Originally Posted by ancientpie View Post
    Both "dab in" & "wind your neck in" are still used fairly often I think, does anyone else remember when you asked what was for dinner or tea being told "**** with sugar onnit" or was this just a Netho saying ? also the 2 questions that you immediately knew were about football, "did ya goo dahn" or " are ya goowin dahn".
    Yep, that reached Noo-ark, as did salad being pig's d*ck with lettuce!

When asked what's fer tea it was a kick at pantry door and a run round table.

does anyone else remember when you asked what was for dinner or tea being told "**** with sugar onnit" or was this just a Netho saying ?
    That was one of my gran's sayings, she originated from Bul'ul, so not just Netho.
    My dad used to refer to the floor as the 'dog shelf', don't know if it's a Nottingham thing though.

Don’t know if this is just an old persons saying but my Mum when referring to the time of day does not say 25 past or 25 to, but says 5 & 20 past or 5 & 20 to.

Sup up

Calling somebody "youth" is Nottingham slang (I think) but it's not heard often now just like serry which was very common even in the 80's

Going slightly off topic here I know but when I was at school we had to read a book that may have been by Keith Waterhouse which was set in Nottingham and the goose fair,anyone know which book it was?

Quote Originally Posted by snipe_pie View Post
    Don’t know if this is just an old persons saying but my Mum when referring to the time of day does not say 25 past or 25 to, but says 5 & 20 past or 5 & 20 to.
    My grandparents used to tell the time like that as well.

Some others I've thought of.

A good iding - The wraft from a parent.
    Clip rahnd tab - What you would get off your "mam" or a officer of the law in the olden days for wrong doings.
    Gorwan play on yer own part - Go and play outside your own house.
    Kerby - A game in which you try and bounce a ball off the corner of the pavement being stood in the middle of it.
    I ent done owt - I've not done anything wrong.
    Pill - A game played in school playgrounds where a tennis ball is hit against a wall. Basically squash but involving more people and using your hand instead of a racket.
    Bagsy - Claiming something first.
    Swapsies - When you have surplus stickers for a sticker album and want to exchange them.
    Note - Nothing
    It's a bit Derby Road - (Rhymes with code for cold) as it's cold today
    Der yo live in a barn - If you leave a door open.
    Stop meking a Racket - Stop making all that noise.

Quote Originally Posted by MAD_MAGPIE View Post
    My grandparents used to tell the time like that as well.

Some others I've thought of.

A good iding - The wraft from a parent.
    Clip rahnd tab - What you would get off your "mam" or a officer of the law in the olden days for wrong doings.
    Gorwan play on yer own part - Go and play outside your own house.
    Kerby - A game in which you try and bounce a ball off the corner of the pavement being stood in the middle of it.
    I ent done owt - I've not done anything wrong.
    Pill - A game played in school playgrounds where a tennis ball is hit against a wall. Basically squash but involving more people and using your hand instead of a racket.
    Bagsy - Claiming something first.
    Swapsies - When you have surplus stickers for a sticker album and want to exchange them.
    Note - Nothing
    It's a bit Derby Road - (Rhymes with code for cold) as it's cold today
    Der yo live in a barn - If you leave a door open.
    Stop meking a Racket - Stop making all that noise.
    Some good ones there. We used to play Kerry with two people, one each side of the road on the pavements, had to throw a ball so it bounced back off the other kerb. Funny because we could play that for hours!

Also, who remembers being called ‘cheeky daft’?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast