+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: OT: Notts city & county slang

As someone who came to Notts at the age of 13 having lived in various places around the country, 'Didjagurdahn?' was always a favourite.

AKA, 'Did one go to the match?'

Having moved away from Nottingham, I have heard very few (if any) of these sayings / pronunciations here. One of my favourites 'mekitgubakards' (reverse it!).

On the 'twitchel' discussion, to us (Arnold) a footpath at the back of houses etc was a twitchel while the pathway between two blocks of terraced houses (or sometimes joined houses where it was like a tunnel) was an entry - or 'entreh'

When listening to TV / radio after you've moved away the Nottingham accent is so noticeable. We're surrounded by people who have 'barths' and sit on the 'grarss' ..... just so wrong!

I too have travelled all over the UK since leaving Noo-ark at age 18. Only in Notts (to my ear) is the regular greeting to someone you stumble upon unexpectedly 'Nowthen' (pronounced Nah-then'). In a way, juxtaposing two terms which are virtual opposites to form a greeting makes no sense. I wonder what the derivation is?
    Scarborough folk don't know what's hit 'em when you say 'Now then'.
    'Watcher cock' is less localised and can sound slightly ****ographic.

If my dad was going somewhere and we asked where he was going, the answer was 'To see a man abaht a dog'. Anyone else heard that one?

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Having moved away from Nottingham, I have heard very few (if any) of these sayings / pronunciations here. One of my favourites 'mekitgubakards' (reverse it!).

On the 'twitchel' discussion, to us (Arnold) a footpath at the back of houses etc was a twitchel while the pathway between two blocks of terraced houses (or sometimes joined houses where it was like a tunnel) was an entry - or 'entreh'

When listening to TV / radio after you've moved away the Nottingham accent is so noticeable. We're surrounded by people who have 'barths' and sit on the 'grarss' ..... just so wrong!

Yes that's what I've also referred to an entry being the passageway (tunnel) between two houses.

Here's another couple;

Traipse or Traipsing. - Refereed to in terms of going somewhere as in, Are you going to traipse all the way over the other side of tahn? Or I'm not going traipsing all the way over there.

Also Thraipse / Thraipsed - As in beaten heavily in an event, race or competition. "Notts Cahnteh got thraipsed by Swansea City".

Quote Originally Posted by Jeekay56 View Post
    I worked at W E Saxby during the 1976 heat wave. On Friday the brickie and I would climb over the wall into that twitchell and go to the Newcastle Arms at the bottom of Basford Road. Climbing back over the wall after several pints was always more difficult than our 'escape'.
    The year I left school, I remeber it well, West Indies were touring as I recall?

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789