+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Notts city & county slang

Don’t know if this is a Sutton saying but as a kid, if I left the door open letting in the cold my Dad would ask “ do you come from Warsop?” Apparently folk from there leave doors open 😆😆

Quote Originally Posted by snipe_pie View Post
    Don’t know if this is a Sutton saying but as a kid, if I left the door open letting in the cold my Dad would ask “ do you come from Warsop?” Apparently folk from there leave doors open ����
    Thought Warsop was Wassup in Mansfield, Snipe?

Quote Originally Posted by cocopops61 View Post
    Going slightly off topic here I know but when I was at school we had to read a book that may have been by Keith Waterhouse which was set in Nottingham and the goose fair,anyone know which book it was?
    Keith Waterhouse's 'There is a Happy Land' is a classic kids story but set round Leeds & Wakefield. I think you may be confusing it with Alan Sillitoe's short stories collected under 'The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner'. Although set in the 40's and 50's, these convey Nottingham as it was then in terms of language and events. One story is based around a match between Notts and Bristol City -I think it's called 'The Match'.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Thought Warsop was Wassup in Mansfield, Snipe?
    It’s actually Waaaaaaaarsop Sidders 👍😁😆

On my way to join the Navy ( September 79 ) , a lad came up to me on the train after hearing me talking ' a up yoth ,yo from noternum '. Never thought I had much of an accent until then.

Quote Originally Posted by sevens_a_secret View Post
    When my Grandma (Nanna) wanted us to hurry up she would say "mekaste" which I thought was a single word until I was a 'grown-up' (is that local?) I was a daft 'apeth. Again I thought that was some sort of primate until I worked out it was short for "Daft halfpenny worth."

I don't think it was an attempt to be hard or street wise, just efficient.
    Mekaste is certainly a good one for wanting someone to hurry up. Heard that many times.

Here's a few others;

Supping - Usually referred to when people are drinking alcohol. "E spends all is time dahn the pub supping"
    Corporation - Name for the Local Nottingham green/cream buses (when they used to all be just that colour)

Place names albeit it's more how they are pronounced rather than slang;

Slab Square - The Old Market Square in front of the Council House
    Suvvull - Southwell
    Aspleh - Aspley
    Mapleh - Mapperley
    Strelleh - Strelley
    Top Valleh - Top Valley
    Baseferd - Basford (non locals sometimes pronounce it Bass ford.)
    Bull wool - Bulwell
    Uck null - Hucknall
    Broxster - Broxtowe
    Kimburleh - Kimberley
    Rnulled - Arnold
    Besswood - Bestwood
    Last edited by MAD_MAGPIE; 14-06-2018 at 11:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by youstylishmagpies View Post
    My grandad (sadly has the curse of dementia) refers to the floor as dog shelf, eating your crusts making your hair curl
    Yep I remember both of those too. I still call the floor the dog shelf myself!

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I was always told to 'dab in' as a child when we were in a rush. Anyone else remember that phrase?
    Yep, we used to say that as an alternative to telling someone to gerronwi'it

The Macc Lads (Macclesfield) had a song that included the line "Sup up lad, I've spilt more ale down me waistcoat than you've supped tonight." A lot of the words and phrases mentioned will probably be used in South Yorkshire and into the North-West as far as Manchester.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The Macc Lads (Macclesfield) had a song that included the line "Sup up lad, I've spilt more ale down me waistcoat than you've supped tonight." A lot of the words and phrases mentioned will probably be used in South Yorkshire and into the North-West as far as Manchester.
    Well she wears big knickers an' works on't sewage farm, put me 'and down 'er jeans an' nearly lost 'alf me arm . . . Sweaty Betty!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast