Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Barnsley FC CEO explains our recruitment procedure.

  1. #1

    Barnsley FC CEO explains our recruitment procedure.

    We sometimes evva post or two abart how are players are identified and brought in. In response to a question in a Radio Sheffield interview our CEO, Goat Hair, has detailed how it works----

    Stage 1. The Head Coach "builds a technical profile proposition". In other words the HC tells Goat Hair the TYPE of player he would like, the position and the skills/attributes he should have. He does not name an actual player, just the kind he wants.

    Stage 2. "We identify targets through data". Presumably this is where the Spreadsheet comes in to pick out players matching the criteria from Stage 1, age, height,appearances,goals,assists, distance run, touches etc. "A list of around 10 players per position are identified"

    Stage 3 "I (Goat Hair) work financially on who is possible". Presumably within budget set by owners, wage structure and FFP Rules. Potential sell on value will be a factor.

    Stage 4 "The list of ten is reduced to three to present to the Head Coach".

    Stage 5 "Discussion with Head Coach to try to get a preference order". Not stated by Goat Hair what happens if HC doesn't fancy any of the three.

    Stage 6 "We try to get first preference, if unsuccessful the second and so on"

    So now we know. A long way removed from the old school of "Here is your budget Mr Manager. Get your own players in and live and die by your choices".

  2. #2
    a head coach is there to coach the coaches and pick the best team to play

  3. #3
    I would also suggest that at stage 1 the head coach will add his own names to the wish list along with the reasons why. He’ll have been told what attributes will and will not be considered I suppose

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
    a head coach is there to coach the coaches and pick the best team to play


    By which time the die is cast

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    40,402
    I think its a disgrace if we refused to offer Hammill anything after all. Despite the good reputation he has with us fans and how highly he regards us as a club. Its all down to this garbage U24's only (or whatever the age restriction is), and I bet they thought hes to old now to be spending another contract on and he doesn't have a sell on value.
    If he could have pushed us towards promotion wouldn't the money earned from going back up surely outweigh the cost of offering him 1 more year ?.

    I really don't like this idea of GG pulling the strings and having the largest say in who we sign. The old fashioned idea of the manager signing the players really is a thing of the past now it seems.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn Thomas vs stum View Post
    I would also suggest that at stage 1 the head coach will add his own names to the wish list along with the reasons why. He’ll have been told what attributes will and will not be considered I suppose
    Only quoting what Goat Hair said in the interview. No doubt their will be points during the procedure where additional input/disagreements will occur between HC and CEO which Goat Hair has not reflected on.

  7. #7
    Nanny goat is just a puppet for the big boys pulling the strings who so far have made a right FK up of this club

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    Nanny goat is just a puppet for the big boys pulling the strings who so far have made a right FK up of this club
    Stop sitting on the fence Dools . Luvvit.

  9. #9
    This coming season will determine the merits of this policy , fairly credible coach with a bit of a revolutionary plan going on , a full pre season and transfer window at a level we are expecting to do well in .

    I'll keep my powder dry for now ..............

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    Nanny goat is just a puppet for the big boys pulling the strings who so far have made a right FK up of this club
    The club were already into " well fecked " on the field before this lot came through the door in my opinion .

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The club were already into " well fecked " on the field before this lot came through the door in my opinion .
    I get that we have to do things different and like animal my judgement will be reserved until ive been fully gegenpressed / unimpressed etc

    however - ive seen the moneyball film and it isnt just about young players but about players who might have been played out of position , not had the rub of the green who have an actual value to the club as an asset to the team as opposed to an end financial gain. Surely in this day and age of football where the higher up the pyramid you are the more TV money you get, anyone who can come in and do a job irrespective of age should be a contender. As an example Id rather have a 32 year old free transfer who does a job as opposed to a 23 year old who might take 2 more years and another relegation to develop. I'm not for one minute suggesting we'll be anywhere near relegation but a perfect team is where the sum of it is only as good as its parts. Bournemouth in recent years have been testament to this whereby you could put most of the other players in another PL team and they wouldnt necessarily be as good as they were at Bournemouth. In short we shouldnt rule out anybody irrespective of age!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    I get that we have to do things different and like animal my judgement will be reserved until ive been fully gegenpressed / unimpressed etc

    however - ive seen the moneyball film and it isnt just about young players but about players who might have been played out of position , not had the rub of the green who have an actual value to the club as an asset to the team as opposed to an end financial gain. Surely in this day and age of football where the higher up the pyramid you are the more TV money you get, anyone who can come in and do a job irrespective of age should be a contender. As an example Id rather have a 32 year old free transfer who does a job as opposed to a 23 year old who might take 2 more years and another relegation to develop. I'm not for one minute suggesting we'll be anywhere near relegation but a perfect team is where the sum of it is only as good as its parts. Bournemouth in recent years have been testament to this whereby you could put most of the other players in another PL team and they wouldnt necessarily be as good as they were at Bournemouth. In short we shouldnt rule out anybody irrespective of age!
    Moneyball made Oakland competitive with a very small budget but they never won anything .

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    5,509
    Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    I get that we have to do things different and like animal my judgement will be reserved until ive been fully gegenpressed / unimpressed etc

    however - ive seen the moneyball film and it isnt just about young players but about players who might have been played out of position , not had the rub of the green who have an actual value to the club as an asset to the team as opposed to an end financial gain. Surely in this day and age of football where the higher up the pyramid you are the more TV money you get, anyone who can come in and do a job irrespective of age should be a contender. As an example Id rather have a 32 year old free transfer who does a job as opposed to a 23 year old who might take 2 more years and another relegation to develop. I'm not for one minute suggesting we'll be anywhere near relegation but a perfect team is where the sum of it is only as good as its parts. Bournemouth in recent years have been testament to this whereby you could put most of the other players in another PL team and they wouldnt necessarily be as good as they were at Bournemouth. In short we shouldnt rule out anybody irrespective of age!

    I agree that a player should be brought in to do a job irrespective of age. The old school brigade success stories in recent years have been Jason Scotland, marlon harewood, adam Hammill, Darren Moore, John macken, Rob kozluk. If you stretch back further look at our 96/97 promotion squad. John hendrie, Wilko, Neil Thompson were only gonna offer us 1 good year and by heck didn't they just!

    The downside of signing experienced players is that sometimes you can get lumbered with some absolute shyte who simply aren't interested and here to pinch a years wages. Leroy lita, Liam Lawrence, Keith Treacy, paddy McCourt (although he was a pleasure to watch at times) frimpong immediately spring to mind. It can go the either way. It's all about judging a players character, attitude and desire. Are they still hungry enough go want it? Tough call forra manager let alone a HC and French CEO.

  14. #14
    Don't think we would have been lumbered had we kept Hammill
    Only idiots would let him go

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Barnsley
    Posts
    5,509
    Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Don't think we would have been lumbered had we kept Hammill
    Only idiots would let him go
    Agreed Exile

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •