+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barnsley FC CEO explains our recruitment procedure.

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    The club were already into " well fecked " on the field before this lot came through the door in my opinion .
    I get that we have to do things different and like animal my judgement will be reserved until ive been fully gegenpressed / unimpressed etc

however - ive seen the moneyball film and it isnt just about young players but about players who might have been played out of position , not had the rub of the green who have an actual value to the club as an asset to the team as opposed to an end financial gain. Surely in this day and age of football where the higher up the pyramid you are the more TV money you get, anyone who can come in and do a job irrespective of age should be a contender. As an example Id rather have a 32 year old free transfer who does a job as opposed to a 23 year old who might take 2 more years and another relegation to develop. I'm not for one minute suggesting we'll be anywhere near relegation but a perfect team is where the sum of it is only as good as its parts. Bournemouth in recent years have been testament to this whereby you could put most of the other players in another PL team and they wouldnt necessarily be as good as they were at Bournemouth. In short we shouldnt rule out anybody irrespective of age!

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post
    I get that we have to do things different and like animal my judgement will be reserved until ive been fully gegenpressed / unimpressed etc

however - ive seen the moneyball film and it isnt just about young players but about players who might have been played out of position , not had the rub of the green who have an actual value to the club as an asset to the team as opposed to an end financial gain. Surely in this day and age of football where the higher up the pyramid you are the more TV money you get, anyone who can come in and do a job irrespective of age should be a contender. As an example Id rather have a 32 year old free transfer who does a job as opposed to a 23 year old who might take 2 more years and another relegation to develop. I'm not for one minute suggesting we'll be anywhere near relegation but a perfect team is where the sum of it is only as good as its parts. Bournemouth in recent years have been testament to this whereby you could put most of the other players in another PL team and they wouldnt necessarily be as good as they were at Bournemouth. In short we shouldnt rule out anybody irrespective of age!
    Moneyball made Oakland competitive with a very small budget but they never won anything .

Quote Originally Posted by renno View Post

I agree that a player should be brought in to do a job irrespective of age. The old school brigade success stories in recent years have been Jason Scotland, marlon harewood, adam Hammill, Darren Moore, John macken, Rob kozluk. If you stretch back further look at our 96/97 promotion squad. John hendrie, Wilko, Neil Thompson were only gonna offer us 1 good year and by heck didn't they just!

The downside of signing experienced players is that sometimes you can get lumbered with some absolute shyte who simply aren't interested and here to pinch a years wages. Leroy lita, Liam Lawrence, Keith Treacy, paddy McCourt (although he was a pleasure to watch at times) frimpong immediately spring to mind. It can go the either way. It's all about judging a players character, attitude and desire. Are they still hungry enough go want it? Tough call forra manager let alone a HC and French CEO.

Don't think we would have been lumbered had we kept Hammill
    Only idiots would let him go

Quote Originally Posted by Exiletyke View Post
    Don't think we would have been lumbered had we kept Hammill
    Only idiots would let him go
    Agreed Exile

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12