+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley FC CEO explains our recruitment procedure.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Barnsley FC CEO explains our recruitment procedure.

We sometimes evva post or two abart how are players are identified and brought in. In response to a question in a Radio Sheffield interview our CEO, Goat Hair, has detailed how it works----

Stage 1. The Head Coach "builds a technical profile proposition". In other words the HC tells Goat Hair the TYPE of player he would like, the position and the skills/attributes he should have. He does not name an actual player, just the kind he wants.

Stage 2. "We identify targets through data". Presumably this is where the Spreadsheet comes in to pick out players matching the criteria from Stage 1, age, height,appearances,goals,assists, distance run, touches etc. "A list of around 10 players per position are identified"

Stage 3 "I (Goat Hair) work financially on who is possible". Presumably within budget set by owners, wage structure and FFP Rules. Potential sell on value will be a factor.

Stage 4 "The list of ten is reduced to three to present to the Head Coach".

Stage 5 "Discussion with Head Coach to try to get a preference order". Not stated by Goat Hair what happens if HC doesn't fancy any of the three.

Stage 6 "We try to get first preference, if unsuccessful the second and so on"

So now we know. A long way removed from the old school of "Here is your budget Mr Manager. Get your own players in and live and die by your choices".

a head coach is there to coach the coaches and pick the best team to play

Quote Originally Posted by yorkshireborn View Post
    a head coach is there to coach the coaches and pick the best team to play

By which time the die is cast

I would also suggest that at stage 1 the head coach will add his own names to the wish list along with the reasons why. He’ll have been told what attributes will and will not be considered I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynn Thomas vs stum View Post
    I would also suggest that at stage 1 the head coach will add his own names to the wish list along with the reasons why. He’ll have been told what attributes will and will not be considered I suppose
    Only quoting what Goat Hair said in the interview. No doubt their will be points during the procedure where additional input/disagreements will occur between HC and CEO which Goat Hair has not reflected on.

I think its a disgrace if we refused to offer Hammill anything after all. Despite the good reputation he has with us fans and how highly he regards us as a club. Its all down to this garbage U24's only (or whatever the age restriction is), and I bet they thought hes to old now to be spending another contract on and he doesn't have a sell on value.
    If he could have pushed us towards promotion wouldn't the money earned from going back up surely outweigh the cost of offering him 1 more year ?.

I really don't like this idea of GG pulling the strings and having the largest say in who we sign. The old fashioned idea of the manager signing the players really is a thing of the past now it seems.

Nanny goat is just a puppet for the big boys pulling the strings who so far have made a right FK up of this club

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    Nanny goat is just a puppet for the big boys pulling the strings who so far have made a right FK up of this club
    Stop sitting on the fence Dools . Luvvit.

This coming season will determine the merits of this policy , fairly credible coach with a bit of a revolutionary plan going on , a full pre season and transfer window at a level we are expecting to do well in .

I'll keep my powder dry for now ..............

Quote Originally Posted by DOOALI View Post
    The club were already into " well fecked " on the field before this lot came through the door in my opinion .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast