+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Has Sheridan hit the ground......

Has Sheridan hit the ground......

...crawling? No news on his backroom staff, new players, friendlies. Is he actually doing anything? We have to presume that he is but there aren't even rumours about staff/player movement and people do talk, so what's happening?

So what's the situation...?

1. I'm too impatient
    2. The board are suppressing news and have him under a confidentiallity agreement
    3. The board are suppressing all spending until they flog a few more season tickets
    4. No one in their right mind wants to come to CUFC.

Answer on a postcard to Nigel Clibbens.

5, Sheridan spends a week in a South Yorkshire pub listening to Lionel Richie on the jukebox, drinking Guinness, punctuated by the odd kebab and visit to the bookies. Monday afternoon he looks at his watch and thinks "Oh sh!t, it's a week since those numpties appointed me as manager, I better make it look like I've done something..."

So he phones Paul Murray.

Things are still moving incredibly slowly and Sheridan has given the impression, thus far, he's not up to the job.

It's been over two weeks since he signed a player and although talking a good game, in the transfer market he looks way out of his depth.

Yes, Curle left the squad in tatters, and in fairness the players we have brought in so far look decent additions. However, with two weeks to go until the first game of the season we look unacceptably under manned and ill prepared.

It's not a great way to start the season - and in brutal honesty Sheridan looks out of his depth.
    Last edited by Piglet_Phoenix; 19-07-2018 at 01:08 PM.

I share your concerns Piglet, but I'm also left wondering whether he's struggling to get offers/contracts signed off by Clibbens or Nixon or Jenkins or whoever makes these final decisions. Sheridan and his number 2 must have pages full of contacts in their address books, and I'm assuming that the conversations go like this:

Sheridan: You want HOW much? I'll offer you three peanuts.
    Player: No, but I'll come for four peanuts.
    Clibbens/Nixon/Jenkins: Hahahahahahahahahahahaha. We'll give him one peanut, some Pioneer vouchers and some glass. And a one year contract.
    Player: P­iss off

Yes, you could look at it from this perspective, Griff.

However, I’m not sure the logic holds up. If you’re Sheridan, why would you accept the offer in the first place if you weren’t going to be given the resources to make a decent fist of it? He’ll have been fully aware of the budget he had to work with when he signed the contract, I don’t really believe the incumbents would’ve been dishonest with him. If they have moved the goalposts – he has no reason to stay in the position he accepted under false pretenses and could, should (and I think probably would) walk away.

Plus, the owners backed the last three managers handsomely with resources to sign new players - despite all the rumours, I don't really believe they would suddenly change this policy for Sheridan.

My reading of the situation is he’s failing in the transfer market due to his own shortcomings – he believed he could bring in nine or ten players, but was all mouth and no trousers. Any old Tom, Dick or Harry can talk the talk, but thus far he’s all mouth. I don’t see anywhere near an acceptable level of planning and preparation for the new season.

As Paul Murray let slip yesterday, we haven’t even worked on shape in training yet. This, so close to the start of the season, is entirely unprofessional. We were told Sheridan was appointed so we could hit the ground running – the point of this thread – but we’ve failed utterly.

I’m expecting big things over the next fortnight, there’s a ton of work to be done to turn things around in 16 days

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)