+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do SYP Have A Fair Point ?

Do SYP Have A Fair Point ?

With regards to the cost of policing football games in south yorkshire .

To be fair they box their corner very well in the article and make some good points .

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/south...ason-1-9201858

They might have a point with clubs that can afford it, not all clubs are multimillion pound.

They could also look at each game and ask themselves is it really necessary to have as many as they do, there’s been a few games at NYS where I though the epolicing was over the top tbh.

Go on I'll bring it up first

Hold away fans back after the game
    Surely that would require fewer of SYP's finest

After the S****horpe match, going up Don St and then over the bridge, there were 3 Police Transit vans parked at an angle on the bridge. For what reason when only Millers fans were coming out that way? A Gordie copper said it was just over kill pal.....yeah, and lots of overtime. It’s about time someone, NYS or SYP. should come clean about the exit strategy , human rights my arse when you see fans held back at Premiership grounds....

I kind of think that the police do have a point. To us, as football fans, it almost seems as though SY Police should just shut up and do their job but there will be tens of thousands of Rotherham council tax payers who have no interest in football at all. They must be really frustrated at having to fund the police because certain dill sacks cant handle their drink.

Plus, in relation to the overkill policing, the police are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont. If there were mass brawls on Don St and not a copper to be seen we'd all be outraged. Remember they dont all live in Main St. nick just in case ... they have to plan for the "what if" .

"If there were mass brawls on Don St and not a copper to be seen"

That's one of the issues there are NO SYP on the way to or on Don Street.

They're all sat up at the end and they (and the Ambulance) wouldn't be able to get down to any incident due to the road being packed with people.

Double edged this, as someone else has alluded to, if there wernt so many arrseholes prancing around thinking they were hard cases the need for the police would be minimal, a pipe dream i know because of the crazy mentality of the few who can't take a drink and who like to throw their fists about at someone who supports a different team...I also reckon that it's kind of the norm now in police circles as an overtime bonanza for officers, such is life eh.
    As a caveat to the above, i've also thought that when all those folk are walking up Don Street ont Main street, what a target they'd be for a deranged terrorist in a car, so when there's a police van at the top it kind of makes sense, though the ones across the road was a bit ott.

Absolutely not. Policing is like the health service. It is a universal service paid for by taxpayers.

Fans pay taxes, the club pay taxes. As soon as we start charging for universal services, how is it that different from charging for someone who needs an ambulance because they took up a higher risk activity like horse riding.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    Absolutely not. Policing is like the health service. It is a universal service paid for by taxpayers.

Fans pay taxes, the club pay taxes. As soon as we start charging for universal services, how is it that different from charging for someone who needs an ambulance because they took up a higher risk activity like horse riding.
    I sort of agree John, but there has been a move towards substituting policing for stewarding, we have seen that this can backfire when min wage women are trying to hold back Millwall fans at NYS.

The police need to be more pro-active with hooliganism, which should be funded by central government.

Police numbers and tactics at games are determined upon the basis of the risk associated with the the two groups of supporters together with any specific intelligence surrounding the fixture.

After being generally low, I understand that the risk associated with Rotherham supporters was upgraded a few years ago following an incident at an away game. I don't know what it is currently regarded as.

It isn't possible to have a blanket policy of keeping away supporters in the ground after a match - it would leave the police and club liable to pay damages for false imprisonment. In law it can be justified only if the police have an objectively held belief that it is necessary to prevent a breach if the peace.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast