+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one that thinks this?

Am I the only one that thinks this?

I just don't get all this negativity towards our owner. Yes he's made mistakes (who hasn't) but he's rectified them quickly, got rid of the management he inherited and replaced them. Time will tell if he has got it right this time. I like the noises coming out of the Hawthorns about our plans for next season and I am more optimistic about the entertainment I might enjoy from our team than I have been for a while.

Let's hope I'm right and all you whingers are jumping on the bandwagon come the Autumn. Only if I've got it wrong and the decline continues will I start to think the worst.

COYB

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    I just don't get all this negativity towards our owner. Yes he's made mistakes (who hasn't) but he's rectified them quickly, got rid of the management he inherited and replaced them. Time will tell if he has got it right this time. I like the noises coming out of the Hawthorns about our plans for next season and I am more optimistic about the entertainment I might enjoy from our team than I have been for a while.

Let's hope I'm right and all you whingers are jumping on the bandwagon come the Autumn. Only if I've got it wrong and the decline continues will I start to think the worst.

COYB

There's always noises in the transfer window, but that's what we do - make noises but don't follow it up with action!

I do blame the owner last season as he's the captain of the ship - rarely came to the games - let a bunch of buffoons ( Board ) run his ship which was a disaster, and then did not jump in quicker enough to sack Pardew which could have saved our premiership status - over peanuts in comparison to the millions we will now lose. I also blame him/board for not cashing in on Evans and Chadli, and sanctioning a deal for an injury prone misfit that cost us 4 million.

In terms of noises - I like to see action!!! I would also like to see an owner like Gibson at Boro who goes to every match and lives and breathes the club.

PS - the communication and lack of intention from Lai is truly shocking!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    There's always noises in the transfer window, but that's what we do - make noises but don't follow it up with action!

I do blame the owner last season as he's the captain of the ship - rarely came to the games - let a bunch of buffoons ( Board ) run his ship which was a disaster, and then did not jump in quicker enough to sack Pardew which could have saved our premiership status - over peanuts in comparison to the millions we will now lose. I also blame him/board for not cashing in on Evans and Chadli, and sanctioning a deal for an injury prone misfit that cost us 4 million.

In terms of noises - I like to see action!!! I would also like to see an owner like Gibson at Boro who goes to every match and lives and breathes the club.

PS - the communication and lack of intention from Lai is truly shocking!!!!
    So what would you have done? Sack the Board before the season started. Who was advocating that?

Sell our star defender in January! How many would have screamed "Typical Albion we'me doomed"

OK Sturridge was a disaster but at least we had a go. What you you have done to get us the goals we needed to stay up? We spent £40 million plus mega wages for a few. Not Lai's fault it was pretty much all wasted.

We would all love to see an owner like Gibson but where are they?

PS The last thing we want is lots of communication from the owner (Villa fans get plenty are they any happier?)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

So what would you have done? Sack the Board before the season started. Who was advocating that?

Sell our star defender in January! How many would have screamed "Typical Albion we'me doomed"

OK Sturridge was a disaster but at least we had a go. What you you have done to get us the goals we needed to stay up? We spent £40 million plus mega wages for a few. Not Lai's fault it was pretty much all wasted.

We would all love to see an owner like Gibson but where are they?

PS The last thing we want is lots of communication from the owner (Villa fans get plenty are they any happier?)

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Star defender pre Christmas 2006 perhaps, but come on - Evans was poor for most of last season! Personally, with release clauses, I would have got rid of Evans and Chadli in the January Window and invested the money back with quality young blood. It's not rocket science, and what we have lost is staggering!

"Had a go" - investing four million in an injury prone croc was a foolish gamble, and even Liverpool supporters were sniggering! Had Lai been more actively involved, perhaps poor decisions, would not have been made.

We all agreed that Pulis had to go, but it was a pathetic decision driven by money ( or lack of it ) to appoint a failure like Pardew who was more popular in Croydon Job Centre than the Football League! When the whole ground was screaming for Pardew to go around about the Huddersfield match, the owner/board dithered and this cost us a real chance of staying up! Why did we dither - because Pardew accepted a lower pay off on the basis, we were almost doomed, when he did go. Pennies, Pennies and Pennies. Most bosses/owners would have sacked the manager who had quite clearly lost the players in the Barcelona shame.

I like Big Dave BUT lets not beat around the bush here - a huge reason why he would have been given the job, is because he was the cheap option!

Now back to the noises - always noises with us - but the action will be in the doing....................... Tick tock, tick tock.......

COYB
    Nope, I'm in agreement with you. We spent more money last season than we've ever done. But we were mismanaged on and off the field.

The soundings that are coming out are good, we've got one of our own in the hotseat and a savvy bloke controlling the finances.

There is a lot of negativity on this board though. Granted that it was justified last season as we were relegated...but I wouldn't place the blame at the owners door. The people he had in key positions didn't do it for him and he's made the changes required to ship them out.

I'm looking forward to next season now with a lot of hope and excitement..

We should not have gone down last season and there were many contributory factors, not just one. We've all been over and over these various reasons time and time again.When Leicester won the Premiership, it was the 'perfect storm' with everything they touched turning to gold. The problem was ours was also the 'perfect storm' but in the opposite direction, whatever could go wrong did go wrong.

I firmly believe that success next season doesn't necessarily depend on who we sign but who we can hold onto. If we can keep the likes of Dawson, Hegazi, Rodrigues, Gibbs along with Foster, Brunt, Field and Morrison, we'd have the basis of a side that could get us straight back up. Obviously we will have to add to the squad but with the right additions to those I've mentioned I'm sure that we will be OK.

Star defender pre Christmas 2006 perhaps, but come on - Evans was poor for most of last season! Personally, with release clauses, I would have got rid of Evans and Chadli in the January Window and invested the money back with quality young blood. It's not rocket science, and what we have lost is staggering!

"Had a go" - investing four million in an injury prone croc was a foolish gamble, and even Liverpool supporters were sniggering! Had Lai been more actively involved, perhaps poor decisions, would not have been made.

We all agreed that Pulis had to go, but it was a pathetic decision driven by money ( or lack of it ) to appoint a failure like Pardew who was more popular in Croydon Job Centre than the Football League! When the whole ground was screaming for Pardew to go around about the Huddersfield match, the owner/board dithered and this cost us a real chance of staying up! Why did we dither - because Pardew accepted a lower pay off on the basis, we were almost doomed, when he did go. Pennies, Pennies and Pennies. Most bosses/owners would have sacked the manager who had quite clearly lost the players in the Barcelona shame.

I like Big Dave BUT lets not beat around the bush here - a huge reason why he would have been given the job, is because he was the cheap option!

Now back to the noises - always noises with us - but the action will be in the doing....................... Tick tock, tick tock.......
    You appear to have all the answers to Albion's woes but not to my questions.

Just when would YOU have sacked the Board?

Who would you have brought in intead of Sturridge? Look at postings under Dan The Man from January we were using words such as exciting and most thought it was a good signing.In your venacular £4 million in the Prem pennies,pennies, pennies.

Look at the January posts on here and lots of us were all for keeping Evans. I thought we should sell but that doesn't mean I can't see it was a valid decision at the time. shame you can't!

Where do we find an owner like Gibson?

Cost of Big Dave may have been a reason he was given the job but it also may not have been. Perhaps someone at the Club who knows more about football than me and nearly as much as you has seen something that is worth a try. I say let's wait and see. Same with our incomings and outgoings this summer.

I say let's get behind all of them New Owner, New Board, New Manager and hopefully new players. None of them have let us down (yet.)

You appear to have all the answers to Albion's woes but not to my questions.

Just when would YOU have sacked the Board?

Who would you have brought in intead of Sturridge? Look at postings under Dan The Man from January we were using words such as exciting and most thought it was a good signing.In your venacular £4 million in the Prem pennies,pennies, pennies.

Look at the January posts on here and lots of us were all for keeping Evans. I thought we should sell but that doesn't mean I can't see it was a valid decision at the time. shame you can't!

Where do we find an owner like Gibson?

Cost of Big Dave may have been a reason he was given the job but it also may not have been. Perhaps someone at the Club who knows more about football than me and nearly as much as you has seen something that is worth a try. I say let's wait and see. Same with our incomings and outgoings this summer.

I say let's get behind all of them New Owner, New Board, New Manager and hopefully new players. None of them have let us down (yet.)

Fair post, and for the record, I wanted Big Dave as he deserved the job, but that does not say, he was the best man. I really hope he does well, as he's got passion, which is a great quality.

There should have been a clear out with the Barcelona incident, as this cost a lot of money, and clearly Pardew had lost the players. At this point, the Board were weak in not sacking Pardew as the final straw, especially, when he played Evans some 24 hours later who disgraced the club.

Answer to your question - Deeney rather than Sturridge. Is Deeney better - perhaps not but he was not such a gamble with his fitness and we gambled on a four million loan fee as opposed to a much bigger signing fee. In fact in the January window, with Roberts going to Leeds, this fee was used for the Sturridge loan. So our net spend was peanuts in January, when clearly we were in trouble!

When a company is in trouble, you rarely blame the directors but the CEO, which is why Lai should take a lot of responsibility for allowing the mismanagement of the club to happen. Did I like Peace - not really, but he was hands on, and controlled every penny, which is why the club were well run financially, albeit needed more quality player investment.

Championship - looking forward to going to almost all the away games except Swansea/Bristol City, but lets see what happens! We should not have been relegated, so I blame a weak owner/board, and Pardew, although there was other contributing factors.

Lets see our intentions and more of the quality buying as opposed to talk and more talk. Perhaps, Lai will also take as much interest in his football club, as his garden plants too, which will be a jolly good start.

The trouble was all those players we bought in with any kind of attacking nous were forced to put defending first. Phillips is an attacking wide man as were Clark, Johnston and Cunningham. Only one of these 4 was pressed into performing defensive duties. The Pole is another suppressed by Pulis. Along wirh Rodders, and Livermore to name 2 more.
    None of the above is the owner's fault. The appointment of Pardew was not his fault either. On paper an experienced Prem manager who may well have turned the fortunes around. In fact an average to poor manager who was already a busted flush when he joined us.The main problem with him is his distance from the club and lack of knowledge of the English game. Sadly his top men let him & us down.
    I fear the appointment of Moore may turn out to be yet another mistake. Hopefully it will turn out to be a masterstroke but I sense a touch of the Pulis about Big Dave, the last thing which is needed.

Fair post, and for the record, I wanted Big Dave as he deserved the job, but that does not say, he was the best man. I really hope he does well, as he's got passion, which is a great quality.

There should have been a clear out with the Barcelona incident, as this cost a lot of money, and clearly Pardew had lost the players. At this point, the Board were weak in not sacking Pardew as the final straw, especially, when he played Evans some 24 hours later who disgraced the club.

Answer to your question - Deeney rather than Sturridge. Is Deeney better - perhaps not but he was not such a gamble with his fitness and we gambled on a four million loan fee as opposed to a much bigger signing fee. In fact in the January window, with Roberts going to Leeds, this fee was used for the Sturridge loan. So our net spend was peanuts in January, when clearly we were in trouble!

When a company is in trouble, you rarely blame the directors but the CEO, which is why Lai should take a lot of responsibility for allowing the mismanagement of the club to happen. Did I like Peace - not really, but he was hands on, and controlled every penny, which is why the club were well run financially, albeit needed more quality player investment.

Championship - looking forward to going to almost all the away games except Swansea/Bristol City, but lets see what happens! We should not have been relegated, so I blame a weak owner/board, and Pardew, although there was other contributing factors.

Lets see our intentions and more of the quality buying as opposed to talk and more talk. Perhaps, Lai will also take as much interest in his football club, as his garden plants too, which will be a jolly good start.
    Troy Deeney. Noooooo! If ever there was a reason for thinking Sturridge was a good idea then the other option that was muted signing Deeney is it. His goal scoring record in the Prem of 26 in 3 seasons is not too bad but 12 of those were pens so 14 in 3 seasons puts him behind your favourite goal scoring machine Salamon Rondon. At the end of say a 3 year contract he would be 32 and worth next to nowt.

For what it's worth I would have sold Evans in Jan and invested in a top Championship goalscorer (no idea who) or did what Everton did and sign a foreigner (Tosun) for Deeney type money.

Daniel Sturridge a £4million short term disaster.

Troy Deeney a £20 million long term disaster

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)