+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: World Cup

World Cup

Don't know if it's worth have a thread in general or if people will post after certain games but thought might as well start one.

1st game today Russia 5 - 0 Saudi Arabia. Despite it being high scoring I thought it was a poor game. Neither side were good, it was just Saudi we're terrible. Against Uruguay and Egypt they'll be destroyed i think.

Russia, think Uruguay will beat them but if they have Egypt next then their level of confidence might be enough to get something there. I could see them going through but think if they do they'll be knocked out in 2nd round. Equally it won't surprise me if they don't get through.

Golovin for Russia was probably best player i thought, we were linked with him as a player we might watch. I suspect today will put him out of our price range, if he was ever in it. Mind you a lot of players values will rocket on basis of this comp, which to be fair is what we're hoping for with Mitro.

I didn't watch it Jammy and had no wish to. Like I said on another thread, some ropey teams in it. Half in my opinion. I know they all qualified fairly but you can't tell me Italy or Holland aren't as good as Japan, Australia, Panama, Saudi, Costa Rica, Tunisia, Morocco and the rest. Maybe they need to give more places to the hotspots of football in the future.

I watched it because i was at work

Whilst i see what you're saying, that just then becomes the Euro's plus - not a World Event. I think it's stupid they've expanded the amount of teams for the next one but i disagree those you've mentioned (i know they are just examples) shouldn't be here.

If we limited it to football hotspots then countries would have no reason to try and get to a World Cup and therefore support growth of football in their home nations.

I suspect that staged managed first game was for Putin's benefit. Hopefully we'll see some real football. Mind if it's run like NUFC then who knows what might happen

Quote Originally Posted by Jammy89 View Post
    I watched it because i was at work

Whilst i see what you're saying, that just then becomes the Euro's plus - not a World Event. I think it's stupid they've expanded the amount of teams for the next one but i disagree those you've mentioned (i know they are just examples) shouldn't be here.

If we limited it to football hotspots then countries would have no reason to try and get to a World Cup and therefore support growth of football in their home nations.
    I get your point but I'd like to see the best 32 teams in the world compete with each other no matter where they are from otherwise it just becomes some type of exhibition event to showcase football.

I'm happy that Italy are not in the WC in the sense that it's a part of the game. If you can't qualify - and you're one of the supposed best national teams in the world - then you simply don't deserve to be there.

It wouldnt work how you want it ie best 32 in world
    to much travelling in the qualification stages
    and occasionally you get a surprise team who no one fancys

look at the super greeks winning the euros

and no ghost that wasnt a conspiracy
    we won it fare and square

Quote Originally Posted by pboromag View Post
    It wouldnt work how you want it ie best 32 in world
    to much travelling in the qualification stages
    and occasionally you get a surprise team who no one fancys

look at the super greeks winning the euros

and no ghost that wasnt a conspiracy
    we won it fare and square
    Maybe, but you know my mind. I'm sceptical about lots of it and always will be.
    France Brazil final was another that I'll never accept as legit.

But anyway that's just my suspicious mind.

Enjoyed Uruguay v Egypt today - felt very sorry for Egypt mind, think they can still qualify though. Despite losing they looked better than Russia and Saudi.

Morocco v Iran wasn't great and Iran didn't deserve the win in my opinion but a win makes the group more interesting.

Watching Spain vs. Portugal? Pretty good game.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)