+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Tory block

OT Tory block

A question to the political chaps on here, does anyone know why one Tory MP blocked the new law on upskirting? I can't think why someone would unless they like doing it to women. Does anyone know why he blocked it?

I think you've hit the nail on the head. All these old duffers fought the fox hunting ban 'cos they love ripping wild animals to pieces so now their new hobby is under attack they are fighting that too. Sure soccerman will be on soon to defend this ancient Tory pastime.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. All these old duffers fought the fox hunting ban 'cos they love ripping wild animals to pieces so now their new hobby is under attack they are fighting that too. Sure soccerman will be on soon to defend this ancient Tory pastime.
    I think you might find he has more than enough personal grief to contend with, before he responds to that obnoxious little postscript. It looks like odium is contagious...

Apparently he objected on principle because there has not been any debate on it and he wants to avoid things coming into law which are not thought through properly. It seems a no-brainer to me but I suppose that if people can go to prison it must be right. I don't think he is against it but rather the principle of the mechanics of it. Sounds like he and others often do this.

Pretty sure it will rightly be passed.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Apparently he objected on principle because there has not been any debate on it and he wants to avoid things coming into law which are not thought through properly. It seems a no-brainer to me but I suppose that if people can go to prison it must be right. I don't think he is against it but rather the principle of the mechanics of it. Sounds like he and others often do this.

Cheers MM that makes sense, things do need to be properly put in place I guess. This one just seemed like a no brainer to me.

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post

I can't see there is a debate. If you upskirt, it's assault. You'd certainly consider that if it happened to your daughter etc. If he's worried about people getting sent down for spurious connected reasons then that's why we have a judicial process.

Man of the people though, Sir Chope

https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10...stchurch/votes

It never really took off as a hobby in Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    I think you might find he has more than enough personal grief to contend with, before he responds to that obnoxious little postscript. It looks like odium is contagious...
    I'm not in the business of trawling the forum to keep track of members personal situations. I'm sorry if he has some personal grief. However views expressed in the past didn't extend much sympathy to others not of the hard right Tory persuasion so I'm not about to change my opinion now.
    As to this pathetic excuse for an MP he should take the time to find out the facts before throwing a spanner in the works of a very worthwhile bill. He is exactly the sort of Tory who disgust most progressive thinkers.

Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I'm not in the business of trawling the forum to keep track of members personal situations. I'm sorry if he has some personal grief. However views expressed in the past didn't extend much sympathy to others not of the hard right Tory persuasion so I'm not about to change my opinion now.
    As to this pathetic excuse for an MP he should take the time to find out the facts before throwing a spanner in the works of a very worthwhile bill. He is exactly the sort of Tory who disgust most progressive thinkers.
    Unfair on Soccerman.

As you say - a very worthwhile bill and maybe he's found out the facts and thinks it should be improved / tightened? - as I said though, a no-brainer for me.

From the BBC website:
    Sir Christopher is a leading member of a group of backbench Conservatives who make a practice of ensuring that what they see as well-meaning but flabby legislation is not lazily plopped on to the statue book by a few MPs on a poorly attended Friday sitting.

And after all this is a bill to create a new criminal offence, for which people can go to jail.

So, however worthy the cause, he insists on proper, extensive scrutiny, and he has spent most Commons Fridays for the last 20 years doing just that.

A horrible intrusion in to any womans privacy however, it's been politicised like so many things these days IMHO, why couldn't it be dealt with under the umbrella offence of voyeurism?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast