Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 71

Thread: OT Tory block

  1. #1

    OT Tory block

    A question to the political chaps on here, does anyone know why one Tory MP blocked the new law on upskirting? I can't think why someone would unless they like doing it to women. Does anyone know why he blocked it?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Perigueux, France
    Posts
    222
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. All these old duffers fought the fox hunting ban 'cos they love ripping wild animals to pieces so now their new hobby is under attack they are fighting that too. Sure soccerman will be on soon to defend this ancient Tory pastime.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. All these old duffers fought the fox hunting ban 'cos they love ripping wild animals to pieces so now their new hobby is under attack they are fighting that too. Sure soccerman will be on soon to defend this ancient Tory pastime.
    I think you might find he has more than enough personal grief to contend with, before he responds to that obnoxious little postscript. It looks like odium is contagious...

  4. #4
    Apparently he objected on principle because there has not been any debate on it and he wants to avoid things coming into law which are not thought through properly. It seems a no-brainer to me but I suppose that if people can go to prison it must be right. I don't think he is against it but rather the principle of the mechanics of it. Sounds like he and others often do this.

    Pretty sure it will rightly be passed.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Apparently he objected on principle because there has not been any debate on it and he wants to avoid things coming into law which are not thought through properly. It seems a no-brainer to me but I suppose that if people can go to prison it must be right. I don't think he is against it but rather the principle of the mechanics of it. Sounds like he and others often do this.

    Pretty sure it will rightly be passed.
    Cheers MM that makes sense, things do need to be properly put in place I guess. This one just seemed like a no brainer to me.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    Apparently he objected on principle because there has not been any debate on it and he wants to avoid things coming into law which are not thought through properly. It seems a no-brainer to me but I suppose that if people can go to prison it must be right. I don't think he is against it but rather the principle of the mechanics of it. Sounds like he and others often do this.

    Pretty sure it will rightly be passed.
    I can't see there is a debate. If you upskirt, it's assault. You'd certainly consider that if it happened to your daughter etc. If he's worried about people getting sent down for spurious connected reasons then that's why we have a judicial process.

    Man of the people though, Sir Chope

    https://www.theyworkforyou.com/mp/10...stchurch/votes

  7. #7
    It never really took off as a hobby in Scotland.


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Perigueux, France
    Posts
    222
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    I think you might find he has more than enough personal grief to contend with, before he responds to that obnoxious little postscript. It looks like odium is contagious...
    I'm not in the business of trawling the forum to keep track of members personal situations. I'm sorry if he has some personal grief. However views expressed in the past didn't extend much sympathy to others not of the hard right Tory persuasion so I'm not about to change my opinion now.
    As to this pathetic excuse for an MP he should take the time to find out the facts before throwing a spanner in the works of a very worthwhile bill. He is exactly the sort of Tory who disgust most progressive thinkers.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I'm not in the business of trawling the forum to keep track of members personal situations. I'm sorry if he has some personal grief. However views expressed in the past didn't extend much sympathy to others not of the hard right Tory persuasion so I'm not about to change my opinion now.
    As to this pathetic excuse for an MP he should take the time to find out the facts before throwing a spanner in the works of a very worthwhile bill. He is exactly the sort of Tory who disgust most progressive thinkers.
    Unfair on Soccerman.

    As you say - a very worthwhile bill and maybe he's found out the facts and thinks it should be improved / tightened? - as I said though, a no-brainer for me.

    From the BBC website:
    Sir Christopher is a leading member of a group of backbench Conservatives who make a practice of ensuring that what they see as well-meaning but flabby legislation is not lazily plopped on to the statue book by a few MPs on a poorly attended Friday sitting.

    And after all this is a bill to create a new criminal offence, for which people can go to jail.

    So, however worthy the cause, he insists on proper, extensive scrutiny, and he has spent most Commons Fridays for the last 20 years doing just that.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Posts
    996
    A horrible intrusion in to any womans privacy however, it's been politicised like so many things these days IMHO, why couldn't it be dealt with under the umbrella offence of voyeurism?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I think you've hit the nail on the head. All these old duffers fought the fox hunting ban 'cos they love ripping wild animals to pieces so now their new hobby is under attack they are fighting that too. Sure soccerman will be on soon to defend this ancient Tory pastime.
    What do your “Progressive”, animal friendly principles make you think about non-stunned Halal slaughter?
    Are you making as strong a stand against supermarkets selling non-stun as you are against fox hunting?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6,169
    Damn it, no more up-skirting?.....another hobby and pastime destroyed by the Liberal wishy-washy mafia.......I guess I will have to spend my extra few hours a day devising new ways to kill the neighbours dogs....grrrrrr

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by frenchmagpie View Post
    I'm not in the business of trawling the forum to keep track of members personal situations. I'm sorry if he has some personal grief. However views expressed in the past didn't extend much sympathy to others not of the hard right Tory persuasion so I'm not about to change my opinion now.
    As to this pathetic excuse for an MP he should take the time to find out the facts before throwing a spanner in the works of a very worthwhile bill. He is exactly the sort of Tory who disgust most progressive thinkers.
    “ Mirror, Mirror on the wall who’s most progressive of them all “

    "Progressive?"
    Someone who believes that they understand real progress better than everyone else. If you are a Progressive it implies that everybody else, who doesn’t claim to be a progressive is obviously a regressive, probably inert, or possibly just plain stupid. It's a smug, ego massaging way of saying you're a lot better than the rest of us .

    I wish all the wronged ladies the best of luck, they don't deserve that kind of abuse . Lets hope that there's a higher conviction rate than for FGM
    Last edited by Notsohumblepie; 16-06-2018 at 12:53 AM.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    "Progressive?"
    Someone who believes that they understand real progress better than everyone else. If you are a Progressive it implies that everybody else, who doesn’t claim to be a progressive is obviously a regressive, probably inert, or possibly just plain stupid. It's a smug, ego massaging way of saying you're a lot better than the rest of us.
    A rather extreme definition. I see progressive thinking as merely challenging outdated doctrines and ideals. Without progressive thinking we would still be stuck in the dark ages. Maybe the ducking stool for witches, sending kids up chimneys and only men voting are traditions that you miss. Bigger those bloody progressive thinkers for moving with the times.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    A rather extreme definition. I see progressive thinking as merely challenging outdated doctrines and ideals. Without progressive thinking we would still be stuck in the dark ages. Maybe the ducking stool for witches, sending kids up chimneys and only men voting are traditions that you miss. Bigger those bloody progressive thinkers for moving with the times.
    quod erat demonstrandum

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    “ Mirror, Mirror on the wall who’s most progressive of them all “

    "Progressive?"
    Someone who believes that they understand real progress better than everyone else. If you are a Progressive it implies that everybody else, who doesn’t claim to be a progressive is obviously a regressive, probably inert, or possibly just plain stupid. It's a smug, ego massaging way of saying you're a lot better than the rest of us .

    I wish all the wronged ladies the best of luck, they don't deserve that kind of abuse . Lets hope that there's a higher conviction rate than for FGM
    Progressive would be the opposite of conservative, no?

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborn Pie View Post
    A horrible intrusion in to any womans privacy however, it's been politicised like so many things these days IMHO, why couldn't it be dealt with under the umbrella offence of voyeurism?
    Look it up for yourself.

  18. #18
    There's folk being critical on here of Sir Christopher Chope wanting proper debate and not rushing criminal offences through the House on a poorly attended Friday.

    Let's have a debate here. Firstly, who would like to define upskirting? Yes there obvious actions but there are also some less obvious, so let's be clear about what constitutes upskirting.

    And then let's consider should it be a criminal offence with offenders going on the Sex Offenders Register or do existing laws cover it? Dont tell me no lad has ever manoeuvered themselves to get a better view? Is that a criminal action? Is it wrong? Is it disgusting?

    And do any of the modern "upskirting" cameras take a picture that shows anything?

    All thrown out there for discussion from one who worries about #metoo and Poldark.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Notsohumblepie View Post
    quod erat demonstrandum
    Brilliant! The poster who accuses someone else of a "smug ego massaging way of saying you're a lot better than the rest of us" then decides to quote in full in Latin rather than use the equally pathetic but more common version QED when they have made an arse of themselves!

    You give the term 'pretentious tw@t' a whole new meaning.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by drillerpie View Post
    Progressive would be the opposite of conservative, no?
    There are a whole host of antonyms for progressive, conservative with a small "c" being just one of them.

    I have to admit that none of them are complimentary , but I suppose people tend to pick the one that suits their own agenda, and better fit their latest lexicon of political clichés, and stereotypes

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •