+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Football misconceptions

Football misconceptions

As a kid I always thought that injury time was when players could get away with anything they wanted without getting carded.

It’s injury time so lay into them !

Now wouldn’t that be a great addition to the game. Let’s face it - no fan would leave the game early no matter the score.

Has anyone any other misconceptions ? I was about 5 at the time !

I always thought that getting pulled off at half time meant.......... No wait. I'd better not go there 😂

Forest fans have the misconception that they are a big club.

I always thought that jack wheelers magic sponge was actually real magic, but he just got it out the bucket soaked in water then put it back in after ? No magic ?

Quote Originally Posted by HAPPYMAGPIEHAPPY View Post
    I always thought that jack wheelers magic sponge was actually real magic, but he just got it out the bucket soaked in water then put it back in after ? No magic ?
    This brings to mind of the large company whose boiler had stopped bringing everything to a halt. The called an expert who came in, had a look around, got out his hammer and hit the boiler in a very precise way and the boiler came to life. "That'll be £1000" he says, "£1000!", the manager exclaimed "you've only been here 10mins and hit it with a hammer". "Yes the boiler man says, but it's taken me a lifetime of learning to know where to hit it".

The magic was Jack Wheeler

When I was young (in the days of 2 points for a win) I thought a draw was a fair result because both teams had an equal share.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    Forest fans have the misconception that they are a big club.
    I always thought they belonged in the Premier League because that's what we are always being told.

But apparently they don't 🤣

I became a Notts fan as the result of a misconception.

At a very young age, football was explained to me. There were two teams in Nottingham, Nottingham Forest who played in red and white, and Notts County who played in black and white. That was all the information I was given. I could choose which to support - no pressure was applied as my dad was a Middlesbrough supporter.

I had a think about it. Other than the open space where Goose Fair was held, I knew of no forest in Nottingham. Therefore “Nottingham Forest” must refer to Sherwood Forest, a relatively small area with only a few people living there. “Notts County” on the other hand, clearly referred to the whole county of Nottinghamshire, with a huge population to choose players from. Clearly, the latter would have the stronger team and would be the better choice.

The thought never occurred that either might be able to recruit players from outside the geographical areas to which their names referred.

No regrets!

When Beckham was playing in Spain my wife couldn't understand why he played for England and not Spain.
    There is no explaining the reason to her.

Stubsy marking somebody’s card..
    But then that generally happened

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast