+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Kari Arnason World Cup debut...

Quote Originally Posted by WanChaiMiller View Post
    I remember so called Eng 'fans' singing '1 nil to the Ingerland' after we beat someone 2 nil. The second goal by John Barnes didnt count. Maybe why guys like GF dont support their national team anymore.
    Interesting example because he too was Jamaican.

Should Sterling and Barnes be playing for England?

Should Costa be playing for Spain?

Quote Originally Posted by millmoormagic View Post

You've just given up the reason you don't want us to win, and you'd prefer Iceland, the fact that there's no 'multi-ethnics' in Iceland's team, where there certainly is in ours, the aryan race eh....what a pathetic bigotted and sad person you are....
    I didn't say that but if a Black Brit decided to support Nigeria no doubt that would be OK?

Actually it would.

Deciding to support a team of people born in the same country as you is not really better than supporting a team of people the same race as you.

What do we have most in common, race or culture?

Racism is bad and nationalism is bad too except when the World Cup comes along?

Do I have more in common with one of the Iceland players or someone from Jamaica with an M16 tattoo on their leg?

Or maybe I should just support the England players who come from Yorkshire or just South Yorkshire like Rose, Vardy, Maguire and Stones?

Incidentally Rotherham is the only SY town who doesn't have a representative in the team.

Maguire and Walker were born in Sheffield.
    Rose in Doncaster.
    Stones in Barnsley.
    Last edited by great_fire; 17-06-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Racism is always a bad thing in my eyes gfire. Nationalism is ok when it is used for positive things that we ALL share eg being proud of our National Health system. In saying that it shouldn't be a fixed thing we still need to be open to other nations ideas and not just assume we know best.So in the case of the national health system we might say we are proud of it but accept that it might not be as good as another nations health system. Where nationalism falls down is when it starts to become inclusive ie you can't be in our gang because you are Muslim etc.
    Last edited by rolymiller; 17-06-2018 at 10:59 AM.

Thing is, race and nationality used to be the same thing, still is in most countries just not the West.

You could have many reasons for supporting or not supporting a team though, I've fallen out of love with the England team for many reasons, though mainly due to how vast wealth has corrupted the players, I'd prefer to see a small underdog team win.
    Last edited by great_fire; 17-06-2018 at 12:19 PM.

Nice sentiment gfire, I wish you would say that about the poor and downtrodden minorities.

Quote Originally Posted by sota View Post
    Is it still OK if I do give a shyte? Or is that not allowed anymore?
    Absolutely is alright, but if your objections turn into something akin to Great_fire's, then i'll no doubt give you my opinion on that.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Interesting example because he too was Jamaican.

Should Sterling and Barnes be playing for England?

Should Costa be playing for Spain?
    Its very interesting point applicable to all our sports (not just football). Probably no one answer that fits all.

I read somewhere there are 250 million economic migrants worldwide. The kids of some will grow up in the new country, play through all the age group system and feel part of its sporting culture. So to play age group and full international would seem a normal progression.

Different, I suspect, if they come over later apparently just to represent us at sport. Also different if they emigrate here.

Ive heard many opinions on the subject. How do you think it should work?

Thats why we post on here Riley - lol. Just a bit of knock about banter.
    Yep, I’m with you Mr Chai.

Its very interesting point applicable to all our sports (not just football). Probably no one answer that fits all.

I read somewhere there are 250 million economic migrants worldwide. The kids of some will grow up in the new country, play through all the age group system and feel part of its sporting culture. So to play age group and full international would seem a normal progression.

Different, I suspect, if they come over later apparently just to represent us at sport. Also different if they emigrate here.

Ive heard many opinions on the subject. How do you think it should work?
    When Owen Hargreaves first played for England he'd never even lived here.

But had English parents or an English parent at least.

Difficult one.

Remember the Ireland team of 1990 and how few of them were actually Irish?

Quote Originally Posted by rolymiller View Post
    Nice sentiment gfire, I wish you would say that about the poor and downtrodden minorities.
    Who are they pray tell?

The only people in this country you're allowed to discriminate against are those "privileged" white males (who also seem to make up the bulk of homeless people).

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast