+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Var

Var

I was a big fan, initially but I'm starting to think it may not be all it's cracked up to be?

Obviously, you want the right decisions to be made and you want fairness, too. The goal-line decision system works very well and hardly takes any time but I'm worried that the flow of games is going to be disrupted to the point where the game becomes like rugby union with long periods of standing around waiting for someone to check a decision...or even a 'non-decision' in the case today of the ref not giving a pen at first.

Now as it goes, I don't mind it in rugby as it can actually create drama but I'm only a casual fan of the sport and maybe I'd feel differently if it was 'my' sport.

Is every goal going to be 'quickly' checked for an infringement, every possible penalty? Does there come a point where you have to just accept that sometimes the ref can make mistakes and that's part and parcel of the game? I'm undecided, tbh and maybe the clincher would come if we either benefited from or fell foul of a VAR decision.

Thoughts?

My personal opinion is they're deliberately skewing it all in order to have it removed as an aid and thus allowing ref's to carry on ripping off teams in games.

That's my conspiracy mind.
    In terms of whether it works in fairness, it's a resounding 100% yes for me...however, there are always going to be grey areas, such as the penalty against Australia that was or wasn't, with even a VAR not being able to give an nailed on surety.

In cases like that I would stick with the ref's first decision...or I should say, a ref's initial decision should stand.
    You're never going to take the unfairness out of games altogether, no matter what but VAR will certainly even the game up and I know for certain that, even now it can be a whole lot faster. This is just deliberate stalling tactics in order to have it wiped out because it favours the minnows, so to speak rather than the elites....and we can't be having that, can we?

I'll be absolutely shocked if it's kept on after the world cup...but I'd like to think it would be in the interests of fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    My personal opinion is they're deliberately skewing it all in order to have it removed as an aid and thus allowing ref's to carry on ripping off teams in games.

That's my conspiracy mind.
    In terms of whether it works in fairness, it's a resounding 100% yes for me...however, there are always going to be grey areas, such as the penalty against Australia that was or wasn't, with even a VAR not being able to give an nailed on surety.

In cases like that I would stick with the ref's first decision...or I should say, a ref's initial decision should stand.
    You're never going to take the unfairness out of games altogether, no matter what but VAR will certainly even the game up and I know for certain that, even now it can be a whole lot faster. This is just deliberate stalling tactics in order to have it wiped out because it favours the minnows, so to speak rather than the elites....and we can't be having that, can we?

I'll be absolutely shocked if it's kept on after the world cup...but I'd like to think it would be in the interests of fairness.
    I actually agree with you on this.

A goal should count as a goal. The whole point of the game is to score goals and thus it's unfair if a team manages to stick a goal in and it doesn't count. Use technology by all means if in doubt whether or not a ball has crossed the line. I'd probably say the same about penalties. For the rest, make the referee the decider and improve communication between him and his assistants instead of turning our beloved game into American Football.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    A goal should count as a goal. The whole point of the game is to score goals and thus it's unfair if a team manages to stick a goal in and it doesn't count. Use technology by all means if in doubt whether or not a ball has crossed the line. I'd probably say the same about penalties. For the rest, make the referee the decider and improve communication between him and his assistants instead of turning our beloved game into American Football.
    If a game lasted 10 more minutes I don't see an issue with it to be fair.
    I think any close decision from a ref in real time, that could potential win or lose a team a goal or the game, should be queried and the fans allowed to see it.

I think it would add a bit more excitement to the game.

Let's be honest, when a team's one nil down in a game the fans are hoping the ref adds 10 minutes added time on ...or close to it...right?

If Newcastle get beat I want to be able to walk away in acceptance of it without bemoaning biased decisions. I think VAR can solve 90% of this...but then again that's just my thoughts on it and everyone has different levels of patience with stuff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    If a game lasted 10 more minutes I don't see an issue with it to be fair.
    I think any close decision from a ref in real time, that could potential win or lose a team a goal or the game, should be queried and the fans allowed to see it.

I think it would add a bit more excitement to the game.

Let's be honest, when a team's one nil down in a game the fans are hoping the ref adds 10 minutes added time on ...or close to it...right?

If Newcastle get beat I want to be able to walk away in acceptance of it without bemoaning biased decisions. I think VAR can solve 90% of this...but then again that's just my thoughts on it and everyone has different levels of patience with stuff like this.
    No I agree, except I don't think VAR should be used for every decision. A potential free kick in the middle of the pitch is not something I would use VAR for, though in theory it could lead to an undeserved goal (if the right call isn't made). When it's about a penalty, I'm more inclined to say VAR would be very useful and fair. Are my thoughts about the rules rational? Probably not But I think we must set a limit somehow, and this is where I would draw the line.

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post
    No I agree, except I don't think VAR should be used for every decision. A potential free kick in the middle of the pitch is not something I would use VAR for, though in theory it could lead to an undeserved goal (if the right call isn't made). When it's about a penalty, I'm more inclined to say VAR would be very useful and fair. Are my thoughts about the rules rational? Probably not But I think we must set a limit somehow, and this is where I would draw the line.
    Well actually I agree with you on that scenario. (in bold)

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    I was a big fan, initially but I'm starting to think it may not be all it's cracked up to be?

Obviously, you want the right decisions to be made and you want fairness, too. The goal-line decision system works very well and hardly takes any time but I'm worried that the flow of games is going to be disrupted to the point where the game becomes like rugby union with long periods of standing around waiting for someone to check a decision...or even a 'non-decision' in the case today of the ref not giving a pen at first.

Now as it goes, I don't mind it in rugby as it can actually create drama but I'm only a casual fan of the sport and maybe I'd feel differently if it was 'my' sport.

Is every goal going to be 'quickly' checked for an infringement, every possible penalty? Does there come a point where you have to just accept that sometimes the ref can make mistakes and that's part and parcel of the game? I'm undecided, tbh and maybe the clincher would come if we either benefited from or fell foul of a VAR decision.

Thoughts?
    wotcha Zippmeister
    fact is refs got it wrong back in the day, good thing was we did'nt have hundreds of cameras with the slomo retakes etc.. so when you went down the pub sat evening there was always some tasty discussions going on,
    the games much quicker and the players much cleverer, thats why the refs are made at best to look either incompetent or just total fools,
    Var is what it is as far as i'm concerned, the decision 1 man plus to helpers makes can decide between lifting a trophy or being relegated/ promoted,
    far too much money at stake not to move on imo, if the Toon were denied a pen in a cup final and Var overturned this particular injustice how would you rate it?
    stay safe now
    john.

It's used here on a regular basis in the Bundesliga and it's controversial to say the least.

If you think normal Refs can be bought, the VAR system is more open to manipulation in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie_Exile_De View Post
    It's used here on a regular basis in the Bundesliga and it's controversial to say the least.

If you think normal Refs can be bought, the VAR system is more open to manipulation in my opinion.
    evening fella, are you a geordie in Germany?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)